Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Legality question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/legality-question-24942/)

Jnhrdng 03-21-2010 02:51 PM

Legality question
 
I have a question on the legality of modifying a shotgun. Is it illegal to remove the stock yourself, leaving a pistol grip even if the barrel stays above 16 inches long?
Forgive me if I posted this in the wrong forum.

Car54 03-21-2010 04:05 PM

I would check your state website pertaining to firearms laws and also check the federal site.

masterPsmith 03-21-2010 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jnhrdng (Post 253974)
I have a question on the legality of modifying a shotgun. Is it illegal to remove the stock yourself, leaving a pistol grip even if the barrel stays above 16 inches long?
Forgive me if I posted this in the wrong forum.

Check your State laws on shotguns with pistol grips, a few kommie States don't like them.

As for your question, 18" barrel and 26" overall length is the minimum. DO NOT cut your barrel to 16", it will be a short barrel shotgun and therefore illegal.


Jim.....................

c3shooter 03-21-2010 05:15 PM

Jim is absolutely RIGHT. The minimum for RIFLES is a 16" bbl, 26 " overall. A SHOTGUN must have 18" barrels, 26" overall, OR be registered with the BATFE as a Short Barreled Shotgun, or an Any Other Weapon. What difference does 2 inches make? 10 years in a Federal prison, a fine equal to all the money you will ever have, and a new roomate- known as "Animal".

skullcrusher 03-21-2010 05:41 PM

^^^^I will add losing the right to ever own a firearm for life.

Most mfrs of short barrels make them to 18.5" to make sure they are legal length and eliminate the possiblility of an error when measuring.

Jo da Plumbr 03-21-2010 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 254037)
What difference does 2 inches make? 10 years in a Federal prison, a fine equal to all the money you will ever have, and a new roomate- known as "Animal".

Thats a new HUSBAND known as animal:eek:

lonyaeger 03-21-2010 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr (Post 254055)
Thats a new HUSBAND known as animal:eek:

Or a new WIFE known as animal :eek:

Zacsquatch 03-22-2010 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonyaeger (Post 254063)
Or a new WIFE known as animal :eek:

But then you have to give your wife a BJ or get your head bashed into the floor.

skullcrusher 03-22-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zacsquatch (Post 254920)
But then you have to give your wife a BJ or get your head bashed into the floor.

And just when I thought I had gotten HBO's OZ out of my nightmares. :mad: Thanks, Zac. LMFAO :D

ninjatoth 03-22-2010 10:47 PM

I wondered about how they do things here in MI.You don't have to register a full sized shotgun,but you have to register a cruiser shotgun as a pistol.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:51 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.