Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Legal Round Capacity in California

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Legal Round Capacity in California

Anyone know what the maximum legal amount of rounds you're shotgun can carry in california? I know with semi rifles it's 10, is that the same with shotguns? A maverick 88 was just marked down to $190 at my local shop so i'm getting itchy to pick one up

I've heard 3 rounds, 5 rounds and 8 rounds are all legal but i cant find the actual law that says it.

any help from the california shooters would be much appreciated.

thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

3 rounds for hunting and must have plug installed in magazine. For home defense I have 5 in my Winchester Model 12. I NEVER take it out to hunt tho.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

I'm no lawyer, don't play one on TV but don't think there is a one sentence answer. CA has very confusing laws that depend on where the mag comes from, how you got it and how long you've owned it. Sure bet is to talk to a dealer you trust to see what's legal. Chances are if he sells it he'll know whether its legal.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 05-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2007.pdf

I live in a free state, but i think it is 10 rounds max. Check that brochure.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8622 Times on 3735 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

First, Orangello got the PDF to the gun laws (beat me to it)

Second- folks, he said it was a Maverick. Pump. Tube magazine. Does not detach. Holds 5 shells, unless you have an aftermarket extended tube on it.

CA has a 10 round limit, except for lever action rifles and 22s. However, when HUNTING with a shotgun, you will need a sport plug. Limits gun to 3 rounds.

Finally, if you are buying from a California Dealer, it should be California legal. Dealer gets in more doo-doo for SELLING an illegal gun than you do for BUYING one from him. MUCH more.

Oh, sorry- sports plug- length of wood or plastic. You remove end of mag tube, it slides inside the spring, keeps more than 2 shells from being loaded into magazine. Couple of bucks, better gun shops anywhere, you can also use a length of 1/2 inch wooden dowel to do the same thing.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 05-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Couple of bucks, better gun shops anywhere, you can also use a length of 1/2 inch wooden dowel to do the same thing.
#2 pencil in my Mossy 500.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:46 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8622 Times on 3735 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

#2 Pencil?

YOU CHEAP CHOLLY!

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 05-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 141 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 155

But if it has the eraser he has a built in buffer

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.