left handed shooter, right handed gun - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > left handed shooter, right handed gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Called up a local dealer the other night, just waiting for call back and Ill see what he offers along with prices. Right now a the price range is $100-$200 and is why the Mossberg 500 might win this one.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:50 PM   #12
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2222 Times on 1200 Posts
Likes Given: 801

Have you looked at any break action shotguns? That would solve your left-handed problem. You'd have to probably save some more money for one, but you'll never have a problem with shells flying in your face.

I much prefer break action shotguns myself. It's easy to tell what's in the chamber, and they are the safest action of all. Break the gun open and carry over the arm. You're pretty well guaranteed nothing will fire.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 05-23-2010, 08:19 PM   #13

I'm a lefty and have shot lots of clays with my 870 and never been hit with shells from it. Im sure the mossy is the same. all of my guns are right handed, we live in a right handed world. just wear saftey glasses and you will be ok.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:51 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harland View Post
As I said in my intro this will be my first gun. One problem as the title indicates is I am a left handed shooter. The only guns within the price range is the Mossberg 500 12 gauge and 410. More than likely I will be getting a 12 gauge. So from your experience with Mossbergs will this be a major problem (don't wonna get slapped in face every time I shot it)? I've been doing some research and got mixed reviews on this.
Im a righty, but left eye dominant. Long guns I shoot left handed, pistols right handed.

I have a Mossberg 590, and have never had any problems with shells in the face. I ran into a shop owner who tried to convince me I needed to spend more money to get a left handed gun. I didn't listen, spent the money on a killer red-dot site, and am better off.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #15

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I'm sure that shop owner did want to sell you a LH model. They usually run a bit higher. I bought a LH Raptor stock for a 10-22 once and the price difference was about 30 bucks. Truth be told it's really not worth it. But I thought it be kind of cool to have one that was set up that way. Still the same bolt though. I mostly look for a stock thast really doesn't cater to one side or the other. It makes it easier on me to switch back and forth from left to right hand shooting.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:33 AM   #16

Hey guys just a little update on this. Decided i am go with the 410gauge (Mossberg either way). Then after a get used to it i will save up for a nice gun cabinet (wooden one without the door will go bye bye, new will have to fit in closet for concealment) and get a 12 gauge (brand unknown) so then I can start missing around with different types (breaks actions, pump, ect...).

Thanks for all the info guys

Old 05-26-2010, 03:37 AM   #17

Mossberg is a great choice.
What made you go with 410 gauge?

Old 05-26-2010, 04:44 AM   #18

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
Mossberg is a great choice.
What made you go with 410 gauge?
I'm kind of curious about that too...

Old 05-26-2010, 08:30 AM   #19

really just from what my grandpa told me from his own experience with guns (he used to hunt). basically what he told me was that a 12 gauges recoil is not what he would consider "starter" friendly so he wants me to start out with a 410 like he did and move up as i gain experience.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:52 AM   #20
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2222 Times on 1200 Posts
Likes Given: 801

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harland View Post
really just from what my grandpa told me from his own experience with guns (he used to hunt). basically what he told me was that a 12 gauges recoil is not what he would consider "starter" friendly so he wants me to start out with a 410 like he did and move up as i gain experience.
How old are you? Unless you're younger than 13, the recoil of a 12ga is very manageable.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA