left handed shooter, right handed gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > left handed shooter, right handed gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 03:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default left handed shooter, right handed gun

As I said in my intro this will be my first gun. One problem as the title indicates is I am a left handed shooter. The only guns within the price range is the Mossberg 500 12 gauge and 410. More than likely I will be getting a 12 gauge. So from your experience with Mossbergs will this be a major problem (don't wonna get slapped in face every time I shot it)? I've been doing some research and got mixed reviews on this.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-23-2010, 04:45 AM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I'm left handed and have all kinds of weapons around here. To be honest thought I shoot both left and right. As I"m sure you know left handed people are subjected to a ton of things made for right handed people. THis is just one more thing to adapt to. It's really no big deal though. There are actually weapons made for left handed people but personally I find them hard to find and a pain to get used to. I've shot all this time and it feels really odd to me to have say..A left handed rifle. It just takes a little getting used to fire controls and all but like I said. Leftys have been doing that all out lives.

I have a Mossberg 835 that I use(d) for turkeys and it's a great shooter. I've had a few other models but I tent to like the Remington 870s a little more. I think it's more a feel thing though. I have not seen a bad shooting Mossberg yet. And I have nev er had a spent round hit my in the face. I have had a few different ones land on top my head but the way they popped up in the air they would have no matter what hand I was shooting with. THat's actually happened more with my right hand shootring than left.

Last edited by DrumJunkie; 05-23-2010 at 04:47 AM.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:03 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

hooray, I'm not the only left hander here lol.

from what I've seen, some left handed guns are a little more expensive. The only left handed gun I might get would be a bolt action. I also shoot left and right handed, keeps my game sharp on both sides. I've never been hit with any of my spent shells, while shooting left handed, so imo I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I don't have a Mossberg 500, I have a Maverick 88(literally the same gun, different furniture) never been even close the getting hit with a shell.

Speak softly and carry a big stick...just know how to use it.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:05 AM   #4

Liked 1834 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

The only gun I have ever gotten brass in the face from is my 10/22. An m16 wasn't even a problem. I didn't always have a brass deflector in the army. But it wasn't a problem.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:24 AM   #5

Default Living in a Righthanded World

I'm a righty, but I've shot with friends that are lefthanded using righthanded shotguns, I don't see it bother them. I remember some guy complaining at a clay shooting competition that his RH shotgun caused his poor score, but really I believe he was making excuses for his poor performance. They do make lefthanded shotguns, but they're considerably more money. Also, most likely the lefty SG's will have to be special ordered. Do you have a friend with a shotgun that you can try-out first?

Old 05-23-2010, 05:27 AM   #6

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
I'm a righty, but I've shot with friends that are lefthanded using righthanded shotguns, I don't see it bother them. I remember some guy complaining at a clay shooting competition that his RH shotgun caused his poor score, but really I believe he was making excuses for his poor performance. They do make lefthanded shotguns, but they're considerably more money. Also, most likely the lefty SG's will have to be special ordered. Do you have a friend with a shotgun that you can try-out first?
When I'm shooting bad I like to blame it on right handed ammo

Old 05-23-2010, 05:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
When I'm shooting bad I like to blame it on right handed ammo
hahahaa
I like to blame it on that I'm not lefthanded.
As long as we have something to blame it on instead of ourselves.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:19 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

if i start to shoot bad, i just switch hands. i find if i do that and still shoot bad, then the hand im shooting with is at fault.

Speak softly and carry a big stick...just know how to use it.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:28 PM   #9

The ideal shotgun for left handed shooters is an Ithaca 37....it loads and ejects out the bottom of the action.

They are available reasonably priced Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns at GunBroker.com for a field gun or if you want a defense shotgun...go with one of the chinese made copies of the Ithaca available for $ 200-225 range sold under the IAC brand.

Remington makes left handed 870's but they are pretty pricey !

Good Luck....left handed people are always in their right mind !

Old 05-23-2010, 02:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgunsmith View Post
The ideal shotgun for left handed shooters is an Ithaca 37....it loads and ejects out the bottom of the action.

They are available reasonably priced Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns at GunBroker.com for a field gun or if you want a defense shotgun...go with one of the chinese made copies of the Ithaca available for $ 200-225 range sold under the IAC brand.

Remington makes left handed 870's but they are pretty pricey !

Good Luck....left handed people are always in their right mind !
The Ithaca 37 will be a great choice for lefties.
Ithaca has recently come back into production
so you will be able to get a brand new one if desired.
Also Browning BPS shotguns load & eject from the bottom
so that's an option as well.