Knoxx Stock & Mossberg 500
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Knoxx Stock & Mossberg 500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Knoxx Stock & Mossberg 500

I just picked up this stock a few days ago. Since then I have run about 50-75 rounds (all bird shot respectively, have not got a chance to run slugs or 000 through her yet.) Long story short, I love the stock, it seriously decreases felt recoil in the 'shoulder' anywhere from 80-90% if held and fired properly. The stock is kinda temperamental, and really only works if you place your face in the exact same position every time. Finding that golden spot can be tricky, but once you do, it's just that, 'GOLDEN'.
Anyways this is not a review about the stocks performance. It's a heads up to any mossberg owners that were thinking about getting this stock.

There is a few things i do not like at all about it.
First off, the top safety on a mossberg, a great feature, not so great with a pistol grip, im sure most of you knew that already. It's doo-able though.

The biggest thing about this stock is.... The Slide release. It is impossible to release the slide while 'two-handing' the gun. Your right thumb (if your a right handed shooter) cannot access the slide release, no matter what as long as your other hand is on the forend. You basically have to point the barrel at your feet and manipulate it with your free hand or move your right hand half way off the pistol grip to get at it. That is no good for a high stress, combat situation. As opposed to the original rifle stock it came with, you could easily manipulate the safety and the slide release while staying on target.

It drives me crazy. Not crazy enough to not use the stock, because it really is that great. Crazy enough to ask my gunsmith to make me a new slide release, an extended one if you will. At the end of the slide release instead of it being straight down, I want a 'lip' at a 90 degree angle so my thumb can flip it.

Heres some pics of how it sits now.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I had a similar slide release/fit issue with the aftermarket stock with pistol grip on my Mossy 500. I did a bit of dremel work on it the stock.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I had a similar slide release/fit issue with the aftermarket stock with pistol grip on my Mossy 500. I did a bit of dremel work on it the stock.
Hmm I didn't think about a dremel... That would defiantly be cheaper than having a gunsmith make me a new slide release. Can you post a pic of your work?

Old 10-03-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Mine is not the same stock; my stock is a less-expensive full buttstock with a pistol grip. The work was not pretty, but i will see if i can find a picture tonight (or just snap one).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Mine is not the same stock; my stock is a less-expensive full buttstock with a pistol grip. The work was not pretty, but i will see if i can find a picture tonight (or just snap one).
Yeah i understand, I'm just curious.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:40 AM   #6

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Old 10-05-2011, 05:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli700 View Post
same problem eh!?

Old 10-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #8

Liked 38 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

most of your cons about a pistol grip stock are why i'm still rocking the factory stock. i would like to cut down on felt recoil, but if i cant operate the gun, recoil wont matter. i'm sure i'll eventually get one, just to see.

i may try a new recoil pad first and see if that helps.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762 View Post
most of your cons about a pistol grip stock are why i'm still rocking the factory stock. i would like to cut down on felt recoil, but if i cant operate the gun, recoil wont matter. i'm sure i'll eventually get one, just to see.

i may try a new recoil pad first and see if that helps.
Well theres always this option!

Amazon.com: Blackhawk CompStock Shotgun Stock: Sports & Outdoors

Old 10-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #10

Liked 38 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

that's interesting looking. i just got my 500 back in april, my first shotgun. (i've been into long range shooting mostly.) so i'm still learning about it.

btw, what kind of sights are yall rocking? i still have that stupid gold bead that came from the factory on mine.

Remington 700P (suppressed) - .308
Norinco SKS - 7.62x39
Mossberg 500 - 12 ga.
Savage FV64 - .22
Marlin Model 60 - .22 PARTS FOR SALE
EAA Witness P - 9mm
AR15 - 5.56/.223
AR15 SPR - 5.56/.223