Kel Tec KSG
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Kel Tec KSG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 04:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Kel Tec KSG

A buddy of mine asked me what I knew about the KSG today and I had no answer for him. I had never heard about it until then and I was curious so I started researching it a little bit and didn't get a whole lot but enough to see that it's a pretty decent design for a HD shotgun. It looked like the loading process is a bit of a pain but that seemed like the only major flaw.

The reason for the post is to see if any of you have one or have shot one that could give me some insight.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-19-2012, 05:11 AM   #2

Yeah the kel-tec ksg is a pretty strange shotgun. I believe it holds 14+1 rounds (seven in each magazine tube) and there's a simple switch on the tube to select each magazine. The shotgun also has a very small profile but it is a pump not a semi auto

Old 09-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #3

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

It has had some reliability issues and they almost go for double MSRP on gunbroker and other auction sites. There is another one just like it and it holds 16+1 but I can't think of the name off the top of my head.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Ive seen mixed reviews most of the negative comments seem to be about the ergonomics.

Im just repeating here the gist of what ive read about it. Ive never seen one in person. Boils down to some folks have difficulty loading most comment that the act of loading isnt natural and rather very slow, switching magazine tubes, and short stroking by people who are accustomed to pump shotguns which implies design issues

The idea is interesting however.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1323 Times on 692 Posts
Likes Given: 607

I have handled it and fired it. The short stroke mentioned earlier is because the firearm is a bullpup design, akin to the Steyr AUG. This style of firearm takes some getting used to, but it is the shortest design ever devised for a long arm and therefore easier to use when clearing a building or any other CQB-related activity. Bullpup designs can also usually be carried completely contained in a backpack without breaking it down.

The switchable two tube design was created for law enforcement to rapidly change purpose, like having the ability to fire door-breaching rounds and then switching to buckshot.

As with any weapon design that is innovative, this takes time to get used to which means training with the weapon and not just dropping it in the safe. MSRP is $899 but gun show price was $1699 as of last weekend. This is an innovative shotgun and well worth acquiring if you want a high capacity 12 ga in the smallest form factor possible.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 09-19-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1974 Times on 1069 Posts
Likes Given: 586

There is a semi auto 16 round out now. I believe it is Russian.
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/products/srm-arms-1216-semi-auto-shotgun/

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 09-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #7
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1323 Times on 692 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
There is a semi auto 16 round out now. I believe it is Russian.
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/products/srm-arms-1216-semi-auto-shotgun/
This one uses a rotary magazine which doesn't allow two types of ammo on demand, but is similar otherwise. Extra magazines are $100 and the shotgun's MSRP IS $2399.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 09-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg

This one uses a rotary magazine which doesn't allow two types of ammo on demand, but is similar otherwise. Extra magazines are $100 and the shotgun's MSRP IS $2399.
Yeah no thanks. I'll take a pump any day of the week over that. Gun shop by me wants $589 for the KSG.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #9

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97cobra View Post
Yeah no thanks. I'll take a pump any day of the week over that. Gun shop by me wants $589 for the KSG.
Pick it up and throw it on gunbroker and watch the dollars ring up.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:10 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113

Pick it up and throw it on gunbroker and watch the dollars ring up.
That may be a good idea. I just looked on gun broker and I could double my money easy. Might buy two and put one on so I get one for free.