Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Kel-Tec KSG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 04:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Kel-Tec KSG

I didn't see this topic yet so i hope it is not a repost. Does anyone know when this comes out? It is a 12 guage, 15 round capacity shotgun in bullpup design. The duel 7 shot magazines seems impressive. Just up my alley, because i was looking into getting a new shotty soon. If anyone does get the chance to fire this puppy(bullpuppy, haha) feel free to give your $0.02

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #2

Liked 76 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Comes out around the end of this year last time i looked and is around $700

Old 07-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #3

it seems like there are quite a few pre-orders for this so it might be beyond that.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #4

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I read about this and had the opportunity to inspect and hold on at the Shot Show in January. Overall impression is it’s a gimmick. It is an impressive piece of machinery but not user friendly and from a Law Enforcement point of view a good idea that will fail.

Now, let me explain myself on this. The KSG is small but uncomfortable to me to use in a shoulder firing position seems to blocky to me. Additionally, you cannot quickly reload the two magazine tubes as they are imbedded deeply in the stock and it is very awkward to push the rounds up with two fingers as the loading tube is about 2” up in the stock and if you have big fingers it’s even worse. Also the safety is backassward from all cross bolt safeties on the Remington or Mossberg. If you are a right hand shooter you push the safety with your trigger finger (like a 870 or Maverick) and your putting the safety ON not OFF. For a LEO who has used the 870 for years, in a high threat situation, this will get you killed as muscle memory is to push the safety off right to left. Also with dummy rounds you can cycle the pump faster than it can follow and you can jam up the action.

This is my impression and my opinion only. Kel-tec are good weapons and this was a great idea that I think fell a little short of expectations.

Scubie

Old 07-15-2011, 11:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
I read about this and had the opportunity to inspect and hold on at the Shot Show in January. Overall impression is it’s a gimmick. It is an impressive piece of machinery but not user friendly and from a Law Enforcement point of view a good idea that will fail.

Now, let me explain myself on this. The KSG is small but uncomfortable to me to use in a shoulder firing position seems to blocky to me. Additionally, you cannot quickly reload the two magazine tubes as they are imbedded deeply in the stock and it is very awkward to push the rounds up with two fingers as the loading tube is about 2” up in the stock and if you have big fingers it’s even worse. Also the safety is backassward from all cross bolt safeties on the Remington or Mossberg. If you are a right hand shooter you push the safety with your trigger finger (like a 870 or Maverick) and your putting the safety ON not OFF. For a LEO who has used the 870 for years, in a high threat situation, this will get you killed as muscle memory is to push the safety off right to left. Also with dummy rounds you can cycle the pump faster than it can follow and you can jam up the action.

This is my impression and my opinion only. Kel-tec are good weapons and this was a great idea that I think fell a little short of expectations.

Scubie
I am looking forward to this gun coming out. It looks so cool, and I like the design. Then again, I've never held one like you, and I'm sorry to read about the negative features you mentioned. I look forward to handling one and gaining my own impression. And I hope the big hype of these doesn't jack the price up over a grand.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:53 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5475 Times on 2861 Posts
Likes Given: 355

the safety being backwards is pretty damn stupid. another bad issue just from reading the specs is manual switching from mag to mag. if it was an automatic switch over it might be worthy as a behind the seat truck gun.

feed issues with the pump is a huge nogo.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-16-2011, 01:22 AM   #7

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the safety being backwards is pretty damn stupid. another bad issue just from reading the specs is manual switching from mag to mag. if it was an automatic switch over it might be worthy as a behind the seat truck gun.

feed issues with the pump is a huge nogo.

Jon,

The manual switch is actually not to difficult to use, it could be tweeked a little and made a bit longer and maybe a paddle on the end, but overall fairly easy to switch from mag to mag. I liked the manual switch myself as I was envisioning loading one mag with breecher rounds and then less lethal and the other mag with double 00 and slugs.

The safety just left me shaking my head. The Kel-Tec rep did not seem to concerned when I brought up the safety issue but maybe it was just all the people, noise and such.

Scubie

Old 07-16-2011, 01:35 AM   #8

I was less impressed once I saw the Nutnfancy video.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #9

Liked 76 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 81

I will wait till they start flooding into gun shops and i can pick one up for $300 or so, i am a cheap guy to begin with so i cant see myself paying $700 or $800 for a half plastic shotgun.