Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Keeping Home Defense 12ga. loaded - Spring Failure?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Keeping Home Defense 12ga. loaded - Spring Failure?

Hi guys. I'm new here, as the name shows, but I've enjoyed reading a lot of the stuff here. I'll probably keep lurking and learning, with a few questions as I go.

And here's my first:

We have a Mossberg 500 8-shot 12-ga. primarily as a weapon for home defense. For obvious reasons, I would prefer to keep it loaded at all times. We have no kids, and it's just me and the wife who is well-trained on it. So there is no real safety issue.

I was worried that keeping it fully-loaded (7+1) would wear out the spring quickly. Is that true?

Just in case, I've only been keeping 4 shots in there (3 + 1 in the firing chamber), so the spring doesn't get as much of a workout.

Do I have to worry about that thing failing on me, after keeping it loaded (halfway or all the way) 24/7?

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-22-2009, 04:06 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Welcome Newbie!
I've had my Mossberg loaded 24/7 for 25 years. Still feeds great.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:51 PM   #3

Springs get worn more from loading it than from it sitting compressed.

S.S.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #4

Those are not the answers I expected to hear, but certainly good news. Thanks!

I started to wonder if buying the 8-shot was worth it, if I could only keep it half-loaded all the time.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:11 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

To be safe I leave the mag tube one shell shy of full. less chance of mis feed one the first cycle.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:20 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default My 2 cents...

My Mossberg 500 Cruiser (20") is always loaded with 8 rounds of 2 3/4" 12 guage 00Buck...1 in the chamber.

My springs have never taken a set.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:02 PM   #7

Very nice Shooter.
I want one like that except with a stock.
I need to start saving.

S.S.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #8

Liked 2251 Times on 1183 Posts
Likes Given: 153

All springs will "take a set" or lose some degree of tension from being compressed. This will take place very shortly after they are compressed. Simply assembling the shotgun will compress the spring a bit so an unloaded shotgun magazine spring will "take a set". High quality chrome-silicone springs will exhibit the smallest amount of set, usually less than 2%. I have seen some dramatic reduction in spring tension in some shotguns after 20+ years and hard use. We used Winchester Defenders for many years and still have over 150 in the inventory. For the first 10 years of their lives they were loaded with 6 rds in the tubes and unloaded daily 2-3 times a day. For the next 10-15 years they were left loaded with 6 rds 24/7. very few exhibited any problems at all. Range guns that were loaded with 3-6 rds multiple times a day showed the most problems. Several had spring failures after 15+ years of this sort of use.

My personal Defender has remained loaded for most of the last 28+ years and shows no sign of any failure at all. In short, don't sweat it but don't leave it loaded full. Load 1 rd less than max capacity and ignore it.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #9
Supporting Member

Liked 42 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie19 View Post
Hi guys. I'm new here, as the name shows, but I've enjoyed reading a lot of the stuff here. I'll probably keep lurking and learning, with a few questions as I go.

And here's my first:

We have a Mossberg 500 8-shot 12-ga. primarily as a weapon for home defense. For obvious reasons, I would prefer to keep it loaded at all times. We have no kids, and it's just me and the wife who is well-trained on it. So there is no real safety issue.

I was worried that keeping it fully-loaded (7+1) would wear out the spring quickly. Is that true?

Just in case, I've only been keeping 4 shots in there (3 + 1 in the firing chamber), so the spring doesn't get as much of a workout.

Do I have to worry about that thing failing on me, after keeping it loaded (halfway or all the way) 24/7?

Thanks.
You will NOT have any problems by keeping your 500 fully loaded. My Mossy 500 has always been kept fully loaded... she feeds & fires every time.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Mine's always loaded, no problems so far.