Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Just in from the gun show (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/just-gun-show-73855/)

jebsca 10-07-2012 03:28 AM

Just in from the gun show

I stopped in to look around at a local gun show today, and found a Stevens 258B that looked like she needed a nice home. The finish is a bit rough, but I can fix her up a bit.

When I first seen her, at first, I thought she was a bolt action rifle. Then I noticed that she was in fact a bolt action shotgun, and had to stop and look her over. It may have helped that a co-worker was asking me about bolt action shotguns this week, and I had just told him that I had never shot one, and could not remember ever seeing one.

As I was doing my paperwork, a customer of mine walked up to the table to look around and noticed what I was getting. Said it was the first gun his dad ever got him, and he said he still has it, and loves it.

Now I need to clean her up and pick up some 20 ga and test her out. Think she will be good for showing the kids the fun world of shotguns.

Anybody else have any experience with a 258?

ShagNasty1001 10-07-2012 04:12 AM

The only bolt action shotgun I've shot is our .410 from my great grandpa. Not sure of the brand, and I've only shot it once but it was fun! If you don't mind me asking, where was the gun show located at? We have one here in the city in oklahoma and I didn't know if it was worth going to or not

jebsca 10-07-2012 03:01 PM

Shag,
The show I went to was in Medicine Lodge, KS. I was a small town show in an area that I work a lot in. The big show in Kansas will be next weekend in Wichita. I donít know about the show the show in Ok City, but in November, we are talking about going back to Tulsa. I have been once before, and it was nice, if not too big to see everything in one weekend.

Stopped in to Walmart last night for a few things, and could not get myself to spend that kind of money on shotgun shells. I will have to see if I can find some cheaper so I can go test this thing out.

HockaLouis 10-07-2012 03:41 PM

My only-its-mother-could-love .20 ga. Mossberg bolt with it's polychoke is my favorite upland small game hunting gun.

jebsca 10-08-2012 02:28 AM

Got to take her out today. Tested her out on 20 oz water bottles. She fired well, but had a problem loading the next round. I had to tap the mag up before sending the bolt home. Other than that, this gun was a lot of fun to shoot. For the price, I can’t complain. When I was looking at it, I was thinking that it would be good for showing the kids how to shoot shotgun. I took one of my sisters out, and she was scared to shoot it. I tried to point out that she likes to shoot my 1911 and it kicks harder in the hand than this thing in the shoulder. Still no go. Maybe next time. Hope everybody else was able to get out and have fun today.

kfox75 10-08-2012 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockaLouis (Post 967579)
My only-its-mother-could-love .20 ga. Mossberg bolt with it's polychoke is my favorite upland small game hunting gun.

Oh the joys of shooting the 185 series Mossbergs. I have 2 of them myself, a 185d with the internally threaded chokes, and a 185 ka with the C-lect choke and compensated barrel. The d is my slug gun, and the ka is my usual small game getter. I have 2 safes with newer and nicer guns, but for some reason those two are my favorites. Glad to know I'm not the only fan of the "ugly ducklings".

nitestalker 10-08-2012 05:52 AM

The Tulsa Gun show is tops. I also like the Missoula, Mt. show at the U Of M Field house. This one started in 1955 and still going limited to 800 tables.:)