Just bought first (shot)gun ever! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Just bought first (shot)gun ever!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Around 92/93, FBI HRT started being issued 1 Buck after some evaluations. About a year later it was standard issue bureau wide. Don't know what's current. I have 6 rounds of 1 buck on a tac shotgun with a light in the closet within 2 feet of my bed. As long as I'm sure I know where the wife is (likely charging the AR and taking a covering position), and I'm in a fire to save my life situation, I'm not concerned about putting some holes in the furniture or walls. No neighbors within the 12 ga range. Sleep pretty good too

Last edited by Belltactical; 01-28-2012 at 07:29 PM.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #12

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeSC View Post
1.) I didn't expect ammo to be as expensive as it is. I am finding that most 00 buck is about $1 per shell or more. Am I looking in the wrong places online or is that the typical cost? Also any recommended super cheap practicing ammo so I can put a couple hundred rounds through the gun and get used to it?
http://www.sgammo.com/product/rio/25-rd-box-20-gauge-rio-9-pellet-00-buck-shot-ammo

They happen to be out now but keep an eye out , they will get more soon.....works out to 47 cents a round and the shipping is real reasonable. Before I started casting and reloading this where I got all my ammo...rarely can be beat.
Unless you are getting invaded by a flock of chickens don’t use birdshot to defend your life…make it count and don’t use anything less than #1 buck. You live in a city home so slugs might /probably will penetrate your walls and leave your house all together. Remember it is a fine line, you don’t want to harm innocent people by rounds leaving you home but if you don’t use a powerful enough load it won’t kill an intruder.

Start by reading here http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

Quote:
2.) I am trying to figure out where to keep the shotgun for home defense situations. I currently have no children, just me and my wife in our city house. I feel like my choices are:
-loaded locked (or unlocked?) and under the bed
-loaded and locked (or unlocked?) in my walk-in closet (right next to my side of the bed), either against the wall, above the door, on a vertical stud mount or in a $100 gun cabinet.
I keep mine in cruiser ready...mag tube full an empty chamber with the hammer down, that way a round can be put in from the mag tube quickly without having to fiddle with the action release button. Lean it against the wall by your bed. Don’t lock it up or put a trigger lock on it.....while you might be needing it quick, while you are away from it, it should be secured and out of sight

Quote:

3.) Any good recommended links guides on how to clean and care for the gun? This is my first gun ever.
Get a 12 ga cleaning kit. It will have the rods, and all the fittings, brushes you need. Get some Hopes #9 solvent and some RemOil. Do a couple searches on cleaning, not that bad with a pump gun. You should keep it clean but the design is very reliable even very dirty. Don’t get caught up in the in super expensive cleaning stuff, the process should remain simple and cheap Just remember to use the oil lightly as it will attract and hold a lot of dirt....just a light use to prevent rust and slick things up some. Get proficient at taking apart your 500 and you will have it clean in 10 minutes or less. Inspect things while its apart

Remember to shoot and train with it as much as you can and that is where target or bird shot comes in handy. Use the ultra cheap target rounds to practice getting a feel for the gun. Practice reloading or transitioning rounds through the ejection port...things like that, look up some shotgun shooting drills. Don’t just lean it in the corner and expect to be proficient with it, you want to feel comfortable with it, you want it to feel like an extension of yourself

Last edited by oli700; 01-28-2012 at 02:50 PM.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #13

Wow look at all these responses so fast! Thanks everyone!

I live in New York state. I'm not sure of any laws about how to store the weapon in the houe, but I guess I'll look into it. Not having children in my house puts my mind at ease.

My wife isn't tiny, shes like 5'8", 150 lbs (same as me). She was nervous about me getting a 12 gauge because she'll be afraid of the kickback to fire it herself. I had her watch a few youtube videos of small women firing a 12 gauge safely and effectively to ease her mind, but we need to go out together and practice for sure.

I'm happy that so far no one has blasted me for getting a "Thunder Ranch" edition of the 500. I thought the tri-rail forend, stand-off barrel, improved stock cushion and free sling were a pretty nice upgrade set for what amounted to about $30 over the standard 500 I found.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #14

Liked 1410 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
I bought some Wolf buck a few years ago and it didn't hold a pattern at all. It was all over the place. Maybe they have made some improvements, but I doubt it. Same for the military buck that is for sale cheap, it doesn't hold tight. Federal, Win Ranger, and Remington hold a good pattern at house distances. I'm impressed with the Centurion multi defense shells I got. One 65 cal. ball and 6 #1 buck in a 23/4 case. It holds a 5" pattern at 30 yards.
Not many HD situations occur at 30 yards. If it spreads at 10 feet would not that be a good thing?

For hunting, definitely step up to a top quality brand.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3709 Times on 2267 Posts
Likes Given: 20378

Just keep it locked up when you are not home, NY likes to hold gun owners liable for the actions of those who use the guns without authorization.

Start your wife out with trap loads (#7 or 8) she will do fine. Just make sure that the butstock is fully seated in her shoulder before pulling the trigger.

I myself won't blast you for getting that shotgun. I looked at that same model in my LGS, and I know the relieability of the Mossberg brand. I have three that were made in the 1940s and 50s, and my wife's primary is a model 500 in 20 gauge. Yours is a well built versitile weapon that, if you take care of it, you will be able to hand down to your future grandchildren. Enjoy.
If I have to explain why I ride, you wouldn't understand. Explaining sex to an alien would be easier than explaining the feeling, one that boils all that is going on in your life down to what really matters each time you are in The Wind. All I can say is, Life is not Life without it.

Last edited by kfox75; 01-28-2012 at 07:33 PM.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:50 AM   #16

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
Not many HD situations occur at 30 yards. If it spreads at 10 feet would not that be a good thing?

For hunting, definitely step up to a top quality brand.
I was in a defensive shotgun class run by a very knowledgeable instructor who works with the FBI and many other agencies shooting reasonable scenarios of what could be in a home or personal defense situation. One was a bad guy holding a family member at only 10 feet with about 2/3 of the BG's head available for a target behind the family member. From 10 feet if I shot for middle of BG exposure I put two or three pellets in my son or wife if this were real. Only holding aim off of the BG would I not hit the family member. With Winchester Ranger buck and Federal buck I could aim precisely where I wanted and be assured that was where the lead would hit.

In defensive use where you are to be responsible for the lead you put downrange I will not use the Wolf or the Mil buckshot. If I was facing a rushing horde where they all needed to get lead poisoning the cheaper stuff would work, but IMO not as effectively as the Federal and Centurion loads I have taken the time to pattern at various ranges. This was all through an 18" cylinder bore barrel.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #17

Liked 824 Times on 579 Posts
Likes Given: 917

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
I frequently see Wolf buckshot on sale for $2.99 for a five pack. I add a few packs at a time.

Another option for HD would be some #4's Turkey loads, they pack a pretty good wallop.

For grins and giggles just pick up some #8 Federals at Walmart for your trigger therapy.
I use old #4 lead high brass, paper hull. Hot stuff. I've shot coyotes at 35 yards. They don't get up.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:57 PM   #18

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Rome;
Welcome and congrats.

Normally if u live in close quarters like an apartment building or connected house then #2 Shot or #4 Buckshot. Go bigger such as #1 or #0 Buckshot otherwise but avoid #6 shot and #00 Buckshot -- both are extremes. As it turns out, however, you want some low recoil stuff. Practice with cheap Wal-Mart 100 round sport packs but something with a little less powder charge for home defense in #00 buck may be called for. Sounds like you'll need to buy a 250 round case of this at $165 delivered ($0.66 ea. in total)...

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/p-3169-federal-power-shok-12-gauge-2-34-00-buckshot-low-recoil-9-pellets-ammunition.aspx

Where to put it, unlocked (and without a round in the chamber)? They'll look under the bed of course. You could make or buy brackets that slide between your mattress and box spring where the gun will rest horizontally along the side of the bed under the covers. But you're newlyweds... Where else? Hang it from a hook through the back of the trigger guard in the middle of a closet pole (they'll also look in the corners) from a heavy-duty different, easily recgonizable, hanger in your closet and drape it with something long no-one wears (buy a bright orange housedress at Goodwill).

Last edited by HockaLouis; 01-30-2012 at 12:23 AM.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:55 AM   #19

Hey guys,

so a little offtopic question... I purchased the gun from midwesthuntersoutlet.com, because it was out of stock at buds. Immediately after (like an idiot) I started looking up reseller ratings for the site. It apparently has a terrible reputation and isn't actually a seller at all. its a middleman, so they never actually have anything"in stock". To make it worse, there are PAGES on forums of people having fraudulent charges to their credit card after shopping at their website. Im pretty scared and frustrated now.

Anyone ever buy anything from midwesthuntersoutlet.com? What was your experience like? >_>

Old 02-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Hey guys,

so a little offtopic question... I purchased the gun from midwesthuntersoutlet.com, because it was out of stock at buds. Immediately after (like an idiot) I started looking up reseller ratings for the site. It apparently has a terrible reputation and isn't actually a seller at all. its a middleman, so they never actually have anything"in stock". To make it worse, there are PAGES on forums of people having fraudulent charges to their credit card after shopping at their website. Im pretty scared and frustrated now.

Anyone ever buy anything from midwesthuntersoutlet.com? What was your experience like? >_>
If you have any doubt cancel the order if you don't get refunded dispute it with your bank they should take the rest from there.