Just bought first (shot)gun ever!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Just bought first (shot)gun ever!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 04:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Just bought first (shot)gun ever!

Hey all!

Found out about this forum about 12 seconds ago.

I figured I would introduce myself and then throw out the couple questions that are on my mind

The name is Rome and I just purchased my first ever firearm. I chose the Mossberg 500 Thunder Ranch for home defense purposes.

Questions on my mind as I start getting into this new experience:

1.) I didn't expect ammo to be as expensive as it is. I am finding that most 00 buck is about $1 per shell or more. Am I looking in the wrong places online or is that the typical cost? Also any recommended super cheap practicing ammo so I can put a couple hundred rounds through the gun and get used to it?

2.) I am trying to figure out where to keep the shotgun for home defense situations. I currently have no children, just me and my wife in our city house. I feel like my choices are:
-loaded locked (or unlocked?) and under the bed
-loaded and locked (or unlocked?) in my walk-in closet (right next to my side of the bed), either against the wall, above the door, on a vertical stud mount or in a $100 gun cabinet.

3.) Any good recommended links guides on how to clean and care for the gun? This is my first gun ever.

Any input from you firearm veterans what the best choice would be? I feel like locking it would impede easy access if I needed it, but I don't want it being easily stolen if there is ever a break-in when I'm not home.

Hopefully I will get a few responses and get to know a few of the posters around this forum. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

~Rome

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-28-2012, 04:26 AM   #2

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

First of all, welcome to FTF! Take some time to go to the introductions section and give a shout out there to make acquaintance.

About the shotgun, congrats, it should do you fine for a defense weapon. You can find buck and slugs at better prices on sale from the online dealers and from Wallyworld if you care to go there. To break it in on the cheap get some low brass bird loads and run a few hundred through the gun to work out the kinks. Less than $6 per box of 25 usually for those.

If this is your very first gun, take some instruction on safety and use of firearms, you won't be dissapointed that you did. Good luck.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 01-28-2012, 04:48 AM   #3

Liked 625 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeSC
Hey all!

I figured I would introduce myself and then throw out the couple questions that are on my mind

The name is Rome and I just purchased my first ever firearm. I chose the Mossberg 500 Thunder Ranch for home defense purposes.

1.) I didn't expect ammo to be as expensive as it is. I am finding that most 00 buck is about $1 per shell or more. Am I looking in the wrong places online or is that the typical cost? Also any recommended super cheap practicing ammo so I can put a couple hundred rounds through the gun and get used to it?

2.) I am trying to figure out where to keep the shotgun for home defense situations. I currently have no children, just me and my wife in our city house. I feel like my choices are:
-loaded and locked (or unlocked?) in my walk-in closet (right next to my side of the bed), either against the wall, above the door, on a vertical stud mount or in a $100 gun cabinet.

3.) Any good recommended links guides on how to clean and care for the gun? This is my first gun ever.

Any input from you firearm veterans what the best choice would be? I feel like locking it would impede easy access if I needed it, but I don't want it being easily stolen if there is ever a break-in when I'm not home.

Hopefully I will get a few responses and get to know a few of the posters around this forum. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

~Rome
For a shotgun in the house all you need for defense is #6 bird shot. It will kill a man as dead as buck shot without going through the wall and maybe killing someone else. Go to cheaperthandirt.com for good ammo prices. Also good job on getting a mossberg! Gerat gun that will last a lifetime, if you make sure to take care of it.

Last edited by kryptar19; 01-28-2012 at 04:53 AM.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
For a shotgun in the house all you need for defense is #6 bird shot. It will kill a man as dead as buck shot without going through the wall and maybe killing someone else. Go to cheaperthandirt.com for good ammo prices. Also good job on getting a mossberg! Gerat gun that will last a lifetime, if you make sure to take care of it.
Seeing this little article made me decide I don't want to use anything but buck in a home defense situation:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/06/robert-farago/shotgun-stopping-power-or-not/

Yikes!

Old 01-28-2012, 05:11 AM   #5

Liked 625 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeSC

Seeing this little article made me decide I don't want to use anything but buck in a home defense situation:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/06/robert-farago/shotgun-stopping-power-or-not/

Yikes!
Big differense in shot size between #6 and #8. That being said if you are dead set on buckshot I suggest #3 buck. Will still kill a guy, and is safer for thnose beyond the wall. What is your next step in the gun market?

Old 01-28-2012, 05:34 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

to find out the damage #6 birdshot will do set up some cardboard at about 15-20 feet and shoot it. at that distance, which is about the size of an average bedroom, it will kill an intruder. now at 25-30 yards, it will do some damage to them, but probably won't kill an intruder. it will perform fine for most people in the confines of most room sizes.

in my pump shotguns, the first three are #6, the last two are OO buckshot. both pumps hold five in the tube, and have stock carriers that hold five more, these have OO buck shot in them also.

Last edited by Axxe55; 01-28-2012 at 05:37 AM.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1576 Times on 963 Posts
Likes Given: 8106

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeSC View Post
Hey all!

~Rome
Welcome aboard Rome!

Question #1 has alredy been answered. Good answers guys!

Question #2. First off, check your local and state laws before deciding where and how on the storage. Some states are very strict on this matter in legality and liability matters. There is a company that sells a locking rack system that covers the reciever (where the shells are loaded, trigger group, and ejection port) that will attach to wall studs, but still allows easy access to the weapon if things go bump in the night. Honestly, I would get a safe or cabinet now, so you won't have to buy one when you get more guns. If you are not home, lock it up, and take it out when you are home. For HD keep it where you feel the most comfortable with it, as long as your area allows it. Load the mag, Not the chamber. Most BGs will run when they hear the sound of the action being cycled and that first round going into the chamber.

Question #3. I think, in the DIY forum, there is a gun cleaning thread. You will find a lot of good advice there. Read your owner's manual, it will answer most of your cleaning questions.

Enjoy your new shotgun! I hope this helps.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Last edited by kfox75; 01-28-2012 at 09:21 AM.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1197 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 496

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeSC View Post
:

I frequently see Wolf buckshot on sale for $2.99 for a five pack. I add a few packs at a time.

Another option for HD would be some #4's Turkey loads, they pack a pretty good wallop.

For grins and giggles just pick up some #8 Federals at Walmart for your trigger therapy.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

One of the most capable and reliable guns out there. There are so many after market parts for that gun you could mod it fifty thousand ways to sunday. Get your wife familiar with the gun too. She may have to use it too. Also go shooting with it often maybe once ever other month too. It will help you be more comfortable with the gun and the more familiar you are with it the more effective you will be with it. Another thing keep in mind the layout of your house. Know what is a safe direction to shoot in every room. you can't guarantee that round won't go threw walls.

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 01-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #10

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
I frequently see Wolf buckshot on sale for $2.99 for a five pack. I add a few packs at a time.

Another option for HD would be some #4's Turkey loads, they pack a pretty good wallop.

For grins and giggles just pick up some #8 Federals at Walmart for your trigger therapy.
I bought some Wolf buck a few years ago and it didn't hold a pattern at all. It was all over the place. Maybe they have made some improvements, but I doubt it. Same for the military buck that is for sale cheap, it doesn't hold tight. Federal, Win Ranger, and Remington hold a good pattern at house distances. I'm impressed with the Centurion multi defense shells I got. One 65 cal. ball and 6 #1 buck in a 23/4 case. It holds a 5" pattern at 30 yards.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!