Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > I've searched lots, but need expert advice - NEW SHOTGUN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 11:49 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would recommend, like the others, a Mossberg 500, Mossberg 590A1, or a Remington 870 Express. I personally have a semi automatic Remington Sportsman 58, but I do not count on it for home defense. Instead the intruder has a few options; One meet my 1911A1, two meet my wife's 1911, or three meet both of our 1911's.

Personally I wouldn't count on the working of the pump on a shotgun to warn or terrify the intruder, because I'm not going to give them any warning for breaking into my home to harm me or my family. Secondly I don't really care if they hear it or not, because I don't hope they get scared of the sound I would rather they get scared of staring down my 1911's barrel.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 10-08-2011, 02:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762 View Post
i second the motion to get a pump. my brother has a remington 1100, it's a blast to shoot......when it wants to fire. he has to use a specific shotgun shell or the gun wont cycle the shells properly. that's my only complaint about semi's (whether it's a rifle or shotgun).

i bought a mossberg 500 pump for that reason. when i rack that slide, i know as long as i have ammo in the magazine, it's got a very good chance of going boom when i pull the trigger.

plus, the sound like power said. tell me you wouldnt crap your pants if you broke into someone's house, fumbling around in the dark and you heard that noise. i know i would, but i'd never break into someones house to begin with.

and then there's the cost. my brothers 1100 semi was $700 USED at a gun store. F that. my mossy was $350 out the door. $350 buys a lot of shotgun shells and accessories. speaking of accessories, the 870 and 500 have a bunch available.
hm... but doesn't semi also have that racking sound when you're loading for the first time? lol i'll keep my unloaded so... i think i can still get that rake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Some one did a survey among inmates convicted of burglary, and I wish I could find the information related to it so I could post a link.

Number 1 most terrifying sound when breaking into a house? Big Dog Barking.

Extremely close number 2, almost a tie: Shotgun having a round jacked in the chamber.

Seems the common criminal is just slightly more afraid of a dog than a gun.
should sound like "oh that's a fingerpull away from blowing my brains out" lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
If they decide to kill you in your own home-then you kill them,but if they flee then let them go,even here in MI where it's legal to kill an unarmed intruder if they are in your home,I would still let them go,that's what makes you human and not an animal.

yes again, sorry everyone for miswording my thoughts.

I DO NOT MEAN TO SHOOT THEM IN THE BACK...

apologies

Old 10-08-2011, 02:58 AM   #13

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Strictly for home defense....I have recently become a fan of the Mossberg 590A1. A tactical shotgun, all milspec.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever View Post
I would recommend, like the others, a Mossberg 500, Mossberg 590A1, or a Remington 870 Express. I personally have a semi automatic Remington Sportsman 58, but I do not count on it for home defense. Instead the intruder has a few options; One meet my 1911A1, two meet my wife's 1911, or three meet both of our 1911's.

Personally I wouldn't count on the working of the pump on a shotgun to warn or terrify the intruder, because I'm not going to give them any warning for breaking into my home to harm me or my family. Secondly I don't really care if they hear it or not, because I don't hope they get scared of the sound I would rather they get scared of staring down my 1911's barrel.

YESS well i'm waiting about a year to get springfield XM or something,,,(don't recall exact model name)

the new 9mm (optional .45) with 4inch barrell.

felt sooooo good like spiderman shooting spider string(webs? lol) out of his own wrist.

but that's portable sidearm, i just want something in my closet lol.

thanks for the model ##s

Old 10-08-2011, 03:00 AM   #15

Rem 1187 I had one, kind of expensive but well worth it.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:01 AM   #16

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4drviper View Post
hm... but doesn't semi also have that racking sound when you're loading for the first time? lol i'll keep my unloaded so... i think i can still get that rake
not the same, but like the other guy said, why give them a warning noise. ever heard the quote, "the only unfair fight is the one you dont win..."?

Remington 700P - .308
Norinco SKS - 7.62x39
Mossberg 500 - 12 ga.
Savage FV64 - .22
Marlin Model 60 - .22 PARTS FOR SALE
EAA Witness P - 9mm
AR15 - 5.56/.223

Old 10-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #17
Texas Ranger Fan!

Liked 16806 Times on 9743 Posts
Likes Given: 43865

IMO. you need to do some futher research into the legalities and resposibilities of owning a firearm before even thinking about buying first. first and foremost using a firearm in defensive situation is a last resort, not your first reaction. only way i would ever fire at someone running from me would be a situation where someone life was in dire threat and only if that was the last resort. only time i would ever fire at someone in a vehicle if they were trying to run over me or a loved one. owning a firearm is a right, but a right that carries grave responsibility. firearms are not toys or a fashion statement, they are tools that deserve respect and safe handling and can give a lifetime of enjoyment and protection.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:45 PM   #18

Liked 103 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I know you don't want to pump between shots so you want a semi auto--but consider other optionsStoeger Double Defense

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 10-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #19
Relax, y'all. It's not my blood. ~Me, Fallujah, 2005

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

That's a pretty sexy double. I think I still prefer high polished bluing, walnut, and an engraved action though.

I'd get that, I would just be trying to get something more "traditional" to set next to it too.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
IMO. you need to do some futher research into the legalities and resposibilities of owning a firearm before even thinking about buying first. first and foremost using a firearm in defensive situation is a last resort, not your first reaction. only way i would ever fire at someone running from me would be a situation where someone life was in dire threat and only if that was the last resort. only time i would ever fire at someone in a vehicle if they were trying to run over me or a loved one. owning a firearm is a right, but a right that carries grave responsibility. firearms are not toys or a fashion statement, they are tools that deserve respect and safe handling and can give a lifetime of enjoyment and protection.
I corrected what i originally said in my replies.

sorry for causing the misunderstanding.