I've searched lots, but need expert advice - NEW SHOTGUN
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > I've searched lots, but need expert advice - NEW SHOTGUN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I've searched lots, but need expert advice - NEW SHOTGUN

Hi yall

I've recently moved to SC, living by myself, this is my first post.

I have been trying to buy a shotgun for home self defense

I've done my homework on google, Sportsmens warehouse, etc, but couldn't find the perfect one for you.

and.. there's this part of me some of the members here is far better knowledgable than gun shop employees so,,, here they are.

1. semi auto (i do not want to pump between shots)

2. powerful penetration
i.e. say, a bugglar runs away with something that belongs to me, I wanna shoot through my steel door and drywall, and still get him good
also, if the bad guy is trying to get away in a vehicle, I'm looking for something to punch a hole in the car from the trunk lid all the way up to the front seat, to the bad guy.

3. easy maintenance
I don't have time to clean and oil my gun every day,
but I DO UNDERSTAND the importance of maintenance.
just sayin, the less, the better.

4. multi-purpose
i won't go clay shooting with semi-auto LOL but,, hunting, etc. you get my point.

5. easily maneuverable
I'm not quite sure on this one,,, I like heavy guns kicking nice and deep. but also has to be light enough so i can sprint 1/4mile carrying it
but too light will end up being snappy so

any input is greatly appreciated

thanks everyone in advance!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #2

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

The Mossberg 500 is a pump, but sounds more like what you need, or even the super popular remingtong 870, also a pump. These have barrel options that might be more up your alley, easy to maintain, can sit in a corner for years collecting dust and still work flawlessly, and can fill ANY role.

BEWARE if you shoot someone in the back, or in the back of the vehicle while they are FLEEING, meaning they are running away, then just expect to go to jail.

Many of the members here don't really appreciate the whole "kill the intruder" thing. Many of us are more concerned with preventing crime, than in killing someone because they did a bad thing, and most are content to let the police handle it if a burglar has already gotten away, some are content to even watch and let a burglar flee and be a good witness when filling out a police report.

A gun is a last resort, never the first, not even in the military nowadays.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #3

I find I'm being kinda rude, sorry about that. And welcome to FTF!

Old 10-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Your not being rude. People need to understand the responsibility in owning a firearm. If you have done research, you need to do more. If you ever shot someone fleeing from your house, you would defiantly go to prison.

As far as shotguns go... Heres my thing on pump vs semi auto. A pump shotgun has something that most guns don't. A universally recognized, "get the **** out of my house, or you are going to die". Yes im talking about racking the slide. A shotgun's slide racking is one of the most feared sounds, ever. True story.

All shotguns are versatile, that's the appeal to them. Like he said a Mossberg 500 or 870 are two of the most versatile pumps on the market. Anything you need, you can get. Interchangeable barrels, sightings, slings stocks, everything.

You will save yourself anywhere from $300-500 or more buying a pump instead of a semi. for what it's worth, check out the Mossberg 930 spx, or any of Benelli's line of Semi's.

Personally I like racking the slide between shots, it's empowering.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
no not at all.

Thank you for the reminder.
(even though i was talking about all of us being ON MY land,,)

oh well I'm not gonna shoot a fleeing person LOL

just thought it would be better elaboration than

"I want to blow a watermelon through 1/8" steel" haha

and I apologize for not knowing in advance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

No semi autos?????

Old 10-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerViolence View Post
Your not being rude. People need to understand the responsibility in owning a firearm. If you have done research, you need to do more. If you ever shot someone fleeing from your house, you would defiantly go to prison.

As far as shotguns go... Heres my thing on pump vs semi auto. A pump shotgun has something that most guns don't. A universally recognized, "get the **** out of my house, or you are going to die". Yes im talking about racking the slide. A shotgun's slide racking is one of the most feared sounds, ever. True story.

All shotguns are versatile, that's the appeal to them. Like he said a Mossberg 500 or 870 are two of the most versatile pumps on the market. Anything you need, you can get. Interchangeable barrels, sightings, slings stocks, everything.

You will save yourself anywhere from $300-500 or more buying a pump instead of a semi. for what it's worth, check out the Mossberg 930 spx, or any of Benelli's line of Semi's.

Personally I like racking the slide between shots, it's empowering.

ahh that slide sound.......

Well, sounds like the pumping sound will do more of what I originally intended to!

and yes, I am truly sorry, again, if that sounded like i'm gonna shoot uninvited guest in the back

Old 10-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4drviper View Post
ahh that slide sound.......

Well, sounds like the pumping sound will do more of what I originally intended to!

and yes, I am truly sorry, again, if that sounded like i'm gonna shoot uninvited guest in the back
If someone doesn't GTFO after you rack the slide, they need to be shot.

Penetration is more about the round, not the gun. 000buck would probably be the most common load with the deepest penetration. Common as in regular pellet loads, Flechette and slugs are a different story.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #8

Liked 38 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

i second the motion to get a pump. my brother has a remington 1100, it's a blast to shoot......when it wants to fire. he has to use a specific shotgun shell or the gun wont cycle the shells properly. that's my only complaint about semi's (whether it's a rifle or shotgun).

i bought a mossberg 500 pump for that reason. when i rack that slide, i know as long as i have ammo in the magazine, it's got a very good chance of going boom when i pull the trigger.

plus, the sound like power said. tell me you wouldnt crap your pants if you broke into someone's house, fumbling around in the dark and you heard that noise. i know i would, but i'd never break into someones house to begin with.

and then there's the cost. my brothers 1100 semi was $700 USED at a gun store. F that. my mossy was $350 out the door. $350 buys a lot of shotgun shells and accessories. speaking of accessories, the 870 and 500 have a bunch available.

Remington 700P (suppressed) - .308
Norinco SKS - 7.62x39
Mossberg 500 - 12 ga.
Savage FV64 - .22
Marlin Model 60 - .22 PARTS FOR SALE
EAA Witness P - 9mm
AR15 - 5.56/.223
AR15 SPR - 5.56/.223

Old 10-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #9

Some one did a survey among inmates convicted of burglary, and I wish I could find the information related to it so I could post a link.

Number 1 most terrifying sound when breaking into a house? Big Dog Barking.

Extremely close number 2, almost a tie: Shotgun having a round jacked in the chamber.

Seems the common criminal is just slightly more afraid of a dog than a gun.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:16 PM   #10

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

If they decide to kill you in your own home-then you kill them,but if they flee then let them go,even here in MI where it's legal to kill an unarmed intruder if they are in your home,I would still let them go,that's what makes you human and not an animal.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves