Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Ithaca Model 500 12GA 2 3/4 Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2014, 05:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default Ithaca Model 500 12GA 2 3/4 Problem

My wife's cousin inherited his fathers Ithaca 500 recently. Him and his brother think it's been close to 25 years since it's been shot. We had a family get together and did a little trap shooting. From the start the gun would break open after the second shot. It then started to break open after the first shot. We made sure it locked up tight and tried different ammo but it would continue to break open. Several of us would shoot it and it did stay locked for 3 to 4 shots and then it would start to break open again. The only thing I can figure out is maybe the locking bar is worn and needs to be replaced. I'm going to take it out tomorrow and shoot it again and see if I can notice anything else. With the wealth of knowledge on this forum maybe someone can help me figure out what is going on. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #2

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

sounds like the action lock is not fully engaging.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:03 PM   #3

Liked 138 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If the prev owner way back used WD40............probably have some stuff gummed up and stuck.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks, my wife's cousin said he cleaned the gun thoroughly before he brought it down to the get together. He did say he was concerned he my have lubed it a little too much. It really doesn't appear to be though. I have not had a chance to shot it yet I had planned on doing it but the weather didn't cooperate. I'll try today and I'll also take some pictures of it. Someone might see something I'm overlooking. I'm going to try to find out what measurements of the locking bar and what I call the locking lugs are supposed to be. That might tell me a lot right there. Unfortunately My wife's uncle never said anything about a problem with the gun. He fought leukemia for the last 20 years before he passed away and had quit hunting and trap shooting because of it.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 05-25-2014, 10:04 PM   #5

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Often if you look at the locking bar and lugs you can see how much engagement they have from the wear marks. If not you can apply something like lipstick and see how much engagement there is.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 05-28-2014, 01:55 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I was able to shoot the gun yesterday. It would only break open when shooting top barrel. Didn't get a chance to check measurements of the locking bar or the lugs. Maybe tomorrow if I get back in town early enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk