Ithaca model 37 ...1969 model.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Ithaca model 37 ...1969 model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 02:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ithaca model 37 ...1969 model.

Here's the gun i got for Christmas when i was 15 in western New York state. Since then, i have shortened the barrel to 24 inches and replaced the original front sight with a silver bead sight. It's a 12ga that already kicked pretty hard with the 28 inch modified barrel. When i got my Dad one for his birthday...20 inch deerslayer model on sale at K-mart for $149.95...lol, i am dating myself...i realized his kicked worse and i always wanted a shorter barrel to get around the woods a little better. I was mostly a rifle hunter, even after i got this gun and the long barrel was one of the reasons. Now the gun is a smidgeon longer than my .22, and a smidgeon shorter than my centerfire rifle. That makes it just perfect for me. I took it out and shot 3 slugs with it today and my shoulder feels like somebody hit me...not that bad, but you know what i mean.

The shorter barrel makes it a little easier to get around the house if need be too. The model 37 is a sweet shooting gun.

God bless!

-Ron

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Model 37s are classic and one of the best pumps ever made--great gun, thanks for showing us.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 12-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #3

Thanks. For anybody who has never seen or used one, you owe it to yourself to find a dealer and work the action just once. You can literally hold it vertically and give it a little shake with the release held down and the forearm will slide all the way down by it's own weight...which isn't much.

This model (Mine, not new ones) is one of the ones that will fire if you just hold the trigger and pump the action. Newer versions won't do this. I have done it a couple of times just because it will, but never really needed a follow up shot with the way this thing points. It would be cool to get a double if i was more of a bird hunter and i guess that would be an easy way to get the second shot off...it does work like a champ.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I love mine. A 1968 model. DOB same as my wife. Yes,shes not in the room. I have the 18 1/2" Police Special with the rifle sights. Real easy to get through the woods with. Pretty accurate with slugs too.

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7

Old 12-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #5

Yep. Mine will put 4 slugs in a 4 inch circle at 75 yds from a rest. Mine shoots about an inch low and an inch left when i just throw it up into my natural shooting position and fire quickly offhand. Not bad for a simple bead front sight.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

No its not. Good shooting!

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7

Old 12-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I have a shotgun just like that, it was passed down to me from my Grandpa (with my UIncle for a short time)

I just love it. It is a real shooter. My slide slides like butter!

I was doing some research recently, and you can still find them for pretty cheap.....if anybody out there is looking for a reasonably priced shotgun, its definitely the way to go.

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.