invector choke for browning
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > invector choke for browning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 320 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Default Playing TAG Is Now An Act Of Agression And Not PC

Yes that's what this Brainless Liberal School Principle thinks of the game of TAG.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/14/AR2008041402988_pf.html

At McLean School, Playing Tag Turns Into Hot Potato

By Michael Alison Chandler
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, April 15, 2008; A01

A playground pastime is getting a timeout this spring at a McLean elementary school.

Robyn Hooker, principal of Kent Gardens Elementary School, has told students they may no longer play tag during recess after determining that the game of chasing, dodging and yelling "You're it!" had gotten out of hand. Hooker explained to parents in a letter this month that tag had become a game "of intense aggression."

The principal said that her goal is to keep students safe and that she hopes to restore tag (as well as touch football, also now on hold) after teachers and administrators review recess policies.

The decision has touched off a debate among parents. Some call the restriction an example of overzealous rulemaking that fails to address root problems and undermines children's development; others say it's best to err on the side of caution.

"We are regulating the fun out of normal childhood activity," said Jan van Tol, father of a Kent Gardens sixth-grader. "In our effort to be so overprotective, we are not letting children be children."

Gerri Swarm, secretary of the school's Parent-Teacher Association, said she was glad the principal was taking seriously student concerns about being pushed or shoved. "In this day and age, you can't dismiss this as something not to worry about," she said.

Many schools nationwide have whittled down playground activities in response to concerns about injuries, bullying or litigation. Dodge ball is a thing of the past in many places, and contact sports are often limited at recess.

The Fairfax County schools' office of risk management maintains a list of activities that are prohibited at any school-sponsored events. In addition to bungee-jumping and scuba diving, students are not permitted to break dance or play dodge ball or tug-of-war.

Restrictions on tag are less common. Officials at several suburban Washington school systems said they were not aware of any schools that had banned the game outright.

In most places, principals have considerable leeway to decide what is appropriate or safe recess behavior as they sometimes manage large numbers of students in small spaces. Kent Gardens, with more than 900 students, is over capacity. Hooker said the playground can get crowded when there are four or five classes there at one time.

Over the past couple of months, she had noticed that tag was taking up too much space and sending too many students to the nurse's office.

"This is not the old-fashioned tag, where you could use two fingers and you would be it and move on to someone else," Hooker said. The game, she said, has become much more aggressive. "I call it the nouveau tag."

This tag involves grabbing people who do not necessarily know they are playing and possibly bumping them to the ground. "Then the kids do 'pyramiding' or 'towering.' They pile on each other. [Sometimes] they call it 'jailhouse' or 'jailbreak,' " because the child has to break out, she said.

Since the prohibition began early this month, physical education teachers have begun a "chasing, fleeing and dodging" unit in first through fifth grades. Students essentially play variations of tag, and the teachers remind them about safety rules and point out the athletic skills they can transfer to other sports, said Sue Straits, a PE teacher.

Stephanie Sullenger, president of the Kent Gardens PTA, said she supports the principal. Sullenger said she suspects that children are acting out because of "spring fever," and that as their behavior improves, tag will be restored.

In the meantime, she said, "children are very resilient and creative, and I'm sure have moved on to find wonderful things to do on the playground."

Other parents said that slips and falls are part of growing up and that restricting games is not the right solution.

Chris Delta, a Kent Gardens mother, said she knows "life's not going to breeze" for her children. She wants them to learn how to cope with difficulty.

Her own daughter has been injured on the playground, she said. Once she was pushed off a jungle gym and had the wind knocked out of her, and another time she got a goose egg when a student threw a rock in the air and it landed on her head.

"I didn't expect because of these two instances that the equipment would be banned or all the rocks or pebbles or stones would be taken away," Delta said.

Michael Haaren, a father, said that if some children are being too aggressive, they should be disciplined. Limiting the activity is a "draconian" measure, he said.

He is concerned that schools are on a bad trajectory. "Where are we headed here? The elimination of recess altogether? It has happened in other schools. Will we eliminate 'duck duck goose' because kids are being touched?" he asked.

Dozens of parents turned out for a PTA meeting to hear the principal explain the decision. Many opposed the plan.

Hooker said the resistance surprised her. "I did not know that tag was so sacred," she said.

But many talk about the game in a tone tinged with nostalgia.

"When you think about elementary school, you do think about recess and tag. Boys chase girls and girls chase boys," Heidi Schwarztrauber said. "There is a lot of growing up in that."

She opposes restricting the game. "I think it robs the children of something very special . . . a universal experience," she said.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-16-2008, 03:50 PM   #2

I am not surprised at all. They have just about taken PE or gym class out of many schools. Our children get time out now as dicipline is not acceptable and may harm them somehow. Just another example of making it a safe world were you have no freedom of choice. This will prime them for the real world of government were you are told what you can and can't do. We slowly loose our rights and move closer to a nation of dictatorship. America the Beautiful, land of the free were art thou. I guess I am just fed up with government looking out for us at the cost of freedom.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Yup, that's pretty disgusting. We were told a while back at my son's school that "dodge ball teaches war" which is why it's also banned.

Morons.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:32 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Dodge ball teaches war?! WTF?!

Does lunch now teach fat? Does social studies teach racism?

Sweet Jesus - If these people spent half as much time teaching the kids the stuff they are supposed to be learning we wouldn't be last, or close to last, in so many statistics....

Old 04-17-2008, 03:08 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Decorum prevents me from saying what I want to about this. WTF is wrong with these weak willed, weak minded.. aw nevermind. Our society is circling the toilet bowl and is on its way out. FTS

Old 04-17-2008, 06:28 AM   #6

When it comes time, we have decided to home school. I feel as if the public schools are raising our children, and as this confirms, are also full of morons who will teach different values than I want. It is sad to see all of these young kids who are obviously products of their bullsh*t environment. Most of my generation seems pretty dimwitted as a result. I hate to see how bad the next is.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:35 PM   #7

Default invector choke for browning

for a browning auto 5 12 ga. invector barrel . Has a factory extra full choke tubeever been made? This is invector choke barrel,not the invector plus.If so does anyone know where I can get one? thank you