You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Interested in a Stevens 320

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 01:33 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 275 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I have to jump on the Mossberg 500 bandwagon as well. It was my first shotgun, to shoot clays with the guys. Since then I've bought a single barrel and an over and under...and my Mossberg has been (because of great aftermarket support) My home defense gun, my short barrelled pistol grip JIC gun and of course...I still shoot clays with it. You really can't beat the Mossberg 500 or Remington 870's for flexibility and the ability to be exactly the gun you want it to be.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:39 AM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22401 Times on 12496 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

there are several choices of inexpensive shotguns to buy. the Mossberg 500, the Remington 870, the Maverick 88 and the Winchester SXP.

they can even be picked up for an incredible bargain sometimes. if you want options to customize, the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870 are the best choices, due to the amount of aftermarket support in parts and accessories for them.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Appreciate all of your responses. I think I'm going to go with an 870 with the 7rd capacity. My biggest hang up was with or with out the pistol grip. I definitely don't want the "ar" style adjustable stock. I have a while to think about it because I don't currently have the funds. Once again I appreciate your responses.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by e43jimmy409 View Post
Appreciate all of your responses. I think I'm going to go with an 870 with the 7rd capacity. My biggest hang up was with or with out the pistol grip. I definitely don't want the "ar" style adjustable stock. I have a while to think about it because I don't currently have the funds. Once again I appreciate your responses.
the 870 is a good choice and i have owned several over the years. it should work just fine for you.

a full stock with the pistol grip is a personal preference.

a pistol grip only stock has few pros IMO. yes they are easier to manuever than a full stocked shotgun in a SD/HD situation, but can be brutal on the wrists and are harder to hit with accurately. i owned one once and will never own another one.

another fallacy i will point out, is that shotguns when shot, still need to be aimed. they don't require the same precision in aiming that a pistol or rifle need, but they still need aiming if you want to hit your intended target.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #15

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post

the 870 is a good choice and i have owned several over the years. it should work just fine for you.

a full stock with the pistol grip is a personal preference.

a pistol grip only stock has few pros IMO. yes they are easier to manuever than a full stocked shotgun in a SD/HD situation, but can be brutal on the wrists and are harder to hit with accurately. i owned one once and will never own another one.

another fallacy i will point out, is that shotguns when shot, still need to be aimed. they don't require the same precision in aiming that a pistol or rifle need, but they still need aiming if you want to hit your intended target.
I used to hunt with shotgun, used a mossy 500 both bird shot and slugs. I definitely want a full butt stock, just undecided on the pistol grip. I've never shot one and don't know of my buddies that have one.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:58 AM   #16

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
Stevens 320 is a Chinese knock-off of a Winchester 1200/1300. The Winchester original was not the most reliable gun on the market, and having it copied and made in China didn't do it any favors. I have seen a LOT of threads on various forums lately from people having 320 problems.

If you want a cheap shotgun that will be reliable but may have parts issues if you ever have a problem, look at some of the ones coming out of Turkey.

If you want an affordable reliable shotgun with a great track record and a pile of
aftermarket stuff available, Mossberg 500.

Little more money---but a gun your kid's kid's will be shooting--870.
+1 for the 500.

I am the not-so-proud owner of a 320 and would go back and get a Mossberg 500 in a heartbeat. In 9 months of general use (maybe 2 slugs and 8 shells of bird/buck shot per month) the dang thing broke on me. The action arms broke free from the front stock.

Heres the kicker, when i examined the reason for the premature failure, it looked like the arms were glued (not pinned) onto the front stock. No wonder the piece of crap broke. Not only that but it cost me a crap load to get it fixed at the factory.

Avoid the headache and expense, get a Mossberg.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:04 AM   #17

Quote:
I used to hunt with shotgun, used a mossy 500 both bird shot and slugs. I definitely want a full butt stock, just undecided on the pistol grip. I've never shot one and don't know of my buddies that have one.
i have shot a couple of shotguns with the pistol gripped full stocks. personally i don't really care for them. probably because i have always had shotguns with a regular buttstock on them.

like i said it's more of a personal preference.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:45 AM   #18

Liked 2225 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
You can get a maverick 88 with an 8 shot (9 shot with 2 3/4" shells) capacity in your price range. You can bolt a stock for a Mossberg 500 right on the maverick. The maverick even has a crossbar safety like an 870. Once you shoot the gun you will like the stock that is on it. It's hard to use an adjustable AR type stock as a weapon. In hand to hand combat you would be forced to attempt to run your opponent through with the barrel. I prefer to be able to use any part of the gun as a weapon.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_1099/products_id/42628/Maverick+31046+88+12+20+CYL+8RD

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-06-2013 at 12:54 AM.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #19

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts

Summary of my ramblings below: Priority as a HD gun I would take a Mossberg 500. Best all rounder would be a 870. And for clays lately I have a preference towards my 20g Winchester 120. Now onto the ramblings - Mossbeg 500 would be my first choice. Parts are more easily replaced then say a 870. Its also going to be a little bit rattly compared to a 870. But that shouldn't deter you. I do believe the Mossberg is a bit more reliable for hd. As far as aftermarket, tube extensions are either pita kits, or you need to buy one like the 590a1 which bumps up the price, then match barrels and the like to it.
Remington 870 is my go to gun for most everything. Its a reliable and with aftermarket parts and barrels you can do anything you want with it, and also change between set ups quickly. Ie: Hunt, hd, clays, water fowl, targets. 870 will also run you around $80 more than a moss 500 but fit and finish are generally better. If I had to have one and hd was a category I had to cover I would take the Mossberg 500(thier hd combo is nice but that pistol grip is asking for trouble). 870 is a better all rounder in my opinion. And I still wouldn't be afraid of a failure from a 870 when it came down to it. When I go clay shooting lately I've been taking my 20g Winchester 120. So i guess it depends on what you have a need for.

P.s. I wouldn't buy a 320.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #20

Liked 754 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Go to pawn shops, arms list etc and get a used 870 Wingmaster. The fit and finish on the Wingmasters is head and shoulders above Express models. You can also find police trade in Wingmaster riot guns that make one hell of an HD gun. You generally get what you pay for when buying new but with a bit of research you can find steals on the used market. The only new shotgun I have bought was a Benelli NOVA (also a good buy in your price point but ugly).

PS-- Please do nt hang all sorts of tacti-turd crap on the gun it only gets in the way.

Last edited by nchunt101; 12-06-2013 at 01:47 PM.
People Like This