Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Interested in more info about this bay state shot gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/interested-more-info-about-bay-state-shot-gun-7148/)

Kingazjay 09-26-2008 07:11 PM

Interested in more info about this bay state shot gun

I have an old bay state that my grandparents gave me some years ago, no one in the family remembers where it came from, or how long ago they purchased it. the only thing stamped on it is BayState 12 Gauge Choke Worcester, Mass. USA The Serial numbers (six on the barrel and six plus one letter on the stock) match. I'm just curious on the approx. age, not really interested in any value.http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...6/HPIM1217.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...6/HPIM1218.jpg

mpoirier22114 09-26-2008 09:37 PM

i talked to my grandfather about this and showed him the pics and he said it looks like it was made in the 50's, have you googled the baystate company to see if there still in business or maybe have a website?

c3shooter 09-27-2008 09:26 PM

Bay State was a name used by Harrington & Richardson of Worcester Mass for their "hardware store" guns- Good guns, by less fancy finish/wood etc than their standard gun. Made mainly in the 20-30s, most parts will interchange with the H&R 1900 mdl.

wilczekte 03-29-2009 03:14 AM

I have a gun that i think is the same as this one here, but mine only says "special" where yours has the writing. It has matching numbers but the one by the trigger has an A in front of it the number is 210459. any information i could get on this gun would be great, any advice?

SlamFire 03-29-2009 06:22 PM

Google "Bay State Shotgun" and you'll get a lot of posts/discussion, just like this one.

Here's a link to Harrington & Richarson 1871

H&R 1871

You could check with "Customer Support."

ebrooks 06-28-2010 08:16 PM

baystate

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 42640)
Bay State was a name used by Harrington & Richardson of Worcester Mass for their "hardware store" guns- Good guns, by less fancy finish/wood etc than their standard gun. Made mainly in the 20-30s, most parts will interchange with the H&R 1900 mdl.

i have bay state shotgun 12 ga single shot ilike to now how old it is

ebrooks 06-28-2010 08:25 PM

:confused:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ebrooks (Post 307527)
i have bay state shotgun 12 ga single shot ilike to now how old it is

frazier45169 03-14-2013 12:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingazjay (Post 42439)
I have an old bay state that my grandparents gave me some years ago, no one in the family remembers where it came from, or how long ago they purchased it. the only thing stamped on it is 12 Gauge Choke Worcester, Mass. USA The Serial numbers (six on the barrel and six plus one letter on the stock) match. I'm just curious on the approx. age, not really interested in any value.http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...6/HPIM1217.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...6/HPIM1218.jpg

I never thought I would ever come across someone having the same exact for close to the shotgun that my great-grandfather had. The one you have in this pictures exactly like the one that I have now, a baystate 12gauge. This 12gauge is a full choke when my great grandfather got this gun. The story was how he got his gun was that a group of people small town had read all about the battle of Gettysburg but they wanted to hear from someone who was there and contact my great-grandfather. He was at the battle of Gettysburg under the command. General Lee. So, he went to that small town and gave a lecture about that the battle of Gettysburg and did such a good job that the people in that town passed around the hat for a collection for him for taking this timeout to come and talk to them about the battle Gettysburg. Befroe leving the town, he walked into the local general store and there he saw that 12gauge shotgun and he bought it. This was just after the civil war when he gave this lecture about the battel of Gettysburg. His baystate 12gauge shotgun, is a single shot shotgun naturally. From there he later became Sheriff a small town in West Virginia where he used this shotgun to enforce the law and was in shootouts with outlaws and killed at least we know 12 to 13 outlaws with this old shotgun. It was handed down to my grandfather to my dad, and now to me when my dad passed away. I am the fourth generation to own this shotgun. If you have any information about these Baystate 12gauge shotguns, I would like to know more info. on it if i can. I have been trying to look for information on this 12gauge shotgun for many years and came up with nothing and you are the first that I ever seen a picture of the same shotgun that was handed to me by my dad and bought by my great-grandfather. They're good and reliable shotguns and mine still shoots to this day even though I have to use low brass shells in this old shotgun, but I do not shoot it hardly much at all. Thank you

Garadex 03-14-2013 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazier45169

I never thought I would ever come across someone having the same exact for close to the shotgun that my great-grandfather had. The one you have in this pictures exactly like the one that I have now, a baystate 12gauge. This 12gauge is a full choke when my great grandfather got this gun. The story was how he got his gun was that a group of people small town had read all about the battle of Gettysburg but they wanted to hear from someone who was there and contact my great-grandfather. He was at the battle of Gettysburg under the command. General Lee. So, he went to that small town and gave a lecture about that the battle of Gettysburg and did such a good job that the people in that town passed around the hat for a collection for him for taking this timeout to come and talk to them about the battle Gettysburg. Befroe leving the town, he walked into the local general store and there he saw that 12gauge shotgun and he bought it. This was just after the civil war when he gave this lecture about the battel of Gettysburg. His baystate 12gauge shotgun, is a single shot shotgun naturally. From there he later became Sheriff a small town in West Virginia where he used this shotgun to enforce the law and was in shootouts with outlaws and killed at least we know 12 to 13 outlaws with this old shotgun. It was handed down to my grandfather to my dad, and now to me when my dad passed away. I am the fourth generation to own this shotgun. If you have any information about these Baystate 12gauge shotguns, I would like to know more info. on it if i can. I have been trying to look for information on this 12gauge shotgun for many years and came up with nothing and you are the first that I ever seen a picture of the same shotgun that was handed to me by my dad and bought by my great-grandfather. They're good and reliable shotguns and mine still shoots to this day even though I have to use low brass shells in this old shotgun, but I do not shoot it hardly much at all. Thank you

That is a really cool story!

FrontierTCB 03-16-2013 02:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I inherited a Bay State single shot from my Grandfather. It is a .410 and I don't know much history other than he used to rabbit hunt with it (probably in the '40s 50's).
It sat untouched in his closet for at least the last 30 yrs of his life because he had a severe heart condition that kept him from shooting.
When I got it I cleaned it up a little but it is in pretty good shape. I will probably never fire it but plan on having it till I meet up with my Grandpa again.

Didn't mean to high jack your thread but I haven't seen many if any other posts about Bay State shotguns.