Inherited an old Ithaca Doulbe Barrel - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Inherited an old Ithaca Doulbe Barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

I appreciate all the feedback so far, hopefully some others will have something to chime in as well =) But i'm interested to find out where I could buy some ammo that would be safe to shoot from it. I don't know much about different powders, compression rates, etc etc, but so far everyone that i've talked to says "If its a 1908 Flues, don't use modern shells" ...but then aside from that, they don't have much to offer in the way of what I should go with. I don't plan on shooting it on a daily occurrence, but it'd be nice to see it shoot at least once...if this gun really is from 1908...that's just an enormous amount of history...it's seen 2 world wars, a great depression, and God only knows how many dead pheasants! =)

Any ideas what I should be looking for?

Another thing im trying to figure out is if modern gun cleaning compounds are safe to use to clean this? It was kept in great condition, but it looks like the last time someone cleaned it, they greased the bejeezus out of it and it's since accumulated quite a bit of dirt in some of the harder-to-reach places...

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 02-22-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #12

New update:

Rich Wyatt (Owner of Gunsmoke - the TV show American Guns) has offered to help me out and lended me the use of his resident Gun Historian "Bob". I've spoken with Bob on the phone and he's excited to take a look at it, will be sending him some detail pictures tonight.

Not going to get my hopes up, but the way he spoke on the phone today was pretty encouraging! =)

Old 02-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
New update:

Rich Wyatt (Owner of Gunsmoke - the TV show American Guns) has offered to help me out and lended me the use of his resident Gun Historian "Bob". I've spoken with Bob on the phone and he's excited to take a look at it, will be sending him some detail pictures tonight.

Not going to get my hopes up, but the way he spoke on the phone today was pretty encouraging! =)
Looking forward to what he has to say

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 02-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #14

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Listen to Cane, he portrays himself as a smart guy. That thing is a POS and worthless. I'll give you my Ben Franklin 5 and Dime cap gun set to take that thing off your hands ... straight up too because i'm a nice guy

j/k - that is one sweet piece of firearms, even if it has no collectibles value. Who cares if it is not 100%, do you plan on amassing a world class gun collection? Even if you plan on shooing the snot out of it or never shooting it I would keep that baby forever!

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 02-23-2012, 02:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Who cares if it is not 100%, do you plan on amassing a world class gun collection? Even if you plan on shooing the snot out of it or never shooting it I would keep that baby forever!
Okay first off, holy **** your profile pic is awesome.

Back on track

I've added some new pictures. I was advised to "edit out the serial number" ... not sure why? Anyone have a reason why I should do that? (I did, just curious)

But since the last update, i've gotten ahold of the historian at Ithaca Gun Company, and he's also looking into it, as well as a local Gun historian in the town I live in. So many great minds are finally on it! Everyone seems optimistic that it's a good find.

I don't care if it's worth $$ or not, I just want to have an awesome piece of tradition to keep in my family for generations (provided Obama doesn't take it )

Anyways, the one thing that is striking me as weird is the grade marks etc. Im a total newbie on this stuff, so I do not speak with authority, just going off of what i've been able to dig up "on the internet" there seems to be conflicting results.

First off, if im not mistaken, the "Grade" is "S" and the gauge shows "12" (Reference the picture that shows S12 on the receiver)

However, on the barrel, there is a "26" on the left barrel and a "16" on the right barrel (pictures included) that lie beneath the extractor (i think that is what this thing is called)

Also, I tried a 12 gauge shell...it's too big. A 20 gauge is too small. I don't have a 16 gauge shell to try...so im just speculating =)

All serial #'s match up on each individual part as well.
16.jpg   26.jpg   img_2025.jpg   img_2026.jpg   img_2029.jpg  

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 02-23-2012, 02:49 AM   #16

more pictures - in these, the picture of the barrels facing out (as if you're behind the gun looking in) anyone know what that "x" mark stands for?

img_2033.jpg   img_2034.jpg   img_2038.jpg   img_2039.jpg   img_2040.jpg  

Old 02-23-2012, 03:02 AM   #17

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Early 16 gauge guns were 2-9/16" chambers not the current 2-3/4". I have never been very interested in old doubles so I don't know how early yours is. You might want to have a 'smith check the chamber length. Stock might be a replacement but it looks more like it was poorly refinished and they sanded the checkering away.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:50 AM   #18

Okay, Final update.

I've heard back from the guys at Gunsmoke guns, and the historian at Ithaca Gun Company.

It is indeed a 1908 Ithaca Flues 16 gauge SbS. Very excited about that.

The one thing that has me skeptical, is the guys from Ithaca said that my barrels are smokeless powder grade.

However, they do not feature the stamp that says "smokeless powder".

Obviously they know their stuff, but my gut is telling me I need to have someone hold this in their hands that knows what to look for before I go fire off a modern 16 gauge shell from it.

Anyways, it's the answer I was hoping for.

I didn't win the lottery, but i'm extremely stoked to own a gun with this much history

They would not give me any information on the ticket of original sale.

Damn privacy rights *just kidding*

Old 02-24-2012, 01:24 AM   #19

This gun is 104 years old. It's seen:

• World War I
  • World War II
  • The Great Deperession
  • 22 Presidents (including names like Theodore Roosevelt, JFK, and Regan just to name a few)
  • It was manufactured before the discovery of the Atomic Structure.
  • Before Henry Ford's first Assembly Line.
  • It was hand made before the first Television.
  • And among many other significant events in history, I wonder of all the hands it's touched. All the birds it's conquered.

I've never owned anything I can say that about...I can see this becoming an addiction, LOL!
Suffice it to say - I am incredibly stoked to own this gun.
shadecorp Likes This 
Old 02-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nice to hear about your updates. Just don't let your other half find out that you love your fun more.

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp