Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Information on a Harrington & Richardson Shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 02:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Information on a Harrington & Richardson Shotgun

I've picked up a Harrington & Richardson single shot, break top shot gun from my grandfather. I'm having a hard time finding any information about it online.

On the left side of the gun, there appears to be a date of May 14, 1921 (or 1951), but the writing is worn so its difficult to tell. I've attached a few pictures. Can anyone tell me the age of the gun and how much its worth (ball park)?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2013, 02:55 AM   #2

Liked 1694 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 356

Looks like the date is 1901. That may be a patent date, and not the manufacture date. H&R shotguns have been made for a long time. The worn lettering makes it appear that this particular shotgun got abrasive lay cleaned and refinished. Cash value is not usually very high. The value of having a family shotgun that has been passed down is where the real value is. Usually cash values are under $100 or close to that range. That one is definitely older than average and could be worth more in original condition, but refinished ones are usually worth less than original condition ones, even if they are slightly worn.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:43 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1009 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 346

If it was mine Donald Trump couldn't buy it. It's not the value of the gun. It's a family heirloom, they are not for sale around here.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:49 AM   #4
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 143 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 170

Agreed, the primary reason I bought a gun safe eight years ago was for a Marlin model 29 handed down from my family – it can’t be worth much more than $150 or so.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:08 AM   #5
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1032 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 5294

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
If it was mine Donald Trump couldn't buy it. It's not the value of the gun. It's a family heirloom, they are not for sale around here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deg View Post
Agreed, the primary reason I bought a gun safe eight years ago was for a Marlin model 29 handed down from my family – it can’t be worth much more than $150 or so.
No argument here. I have a single shot F.I.E .410, and a Mossberg 185 k-a that I feel the same way about. The .410 will go to my eldest grandchild, (hopefully not too soon, the daughter is only 16), and the 185 is on it's 3rd generation now. the words cold dead hands don't even begin to describe how I feel about those guns.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 11-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2226 Times on 1446 Posts

I didn't know those were that old, thanks for posting. Mine was passed down from my grandfather, a .410 pardner he picked up in the later years. It's worth quite a bit to me, although not old or collectible.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 11-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #7

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I had several others passed down as well that have much greater sentimental value (i.e. the gun he got as a retirement gift, his first rifle, etc.). Those won't leave the family.

This particular gun, from what I can gather, was one that in rough shape when her got it and he thought he could fix it up. Turned out not to be the case. There's not anything special or sentimental about this gun.

Thanks for all the replies.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #8

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Beezer: You have a Harrington and Richardson Model 1900. There are actually three patent dates stamped on the gun.

The top line should read PAT. FEB. 20 & 27, 1900 referring two patents Numbers 644,040 and 644,402 granted to Martin Bye and assigned to H & R.

The second line should read PAT. May 14, 1901 referring to patent 674,086 granted to Andrew Hanson and assigned to H & R.

The pictured shotgun has been heavily polished and the metal parts refinished as indicated by the purplish color on the receiver and fore-end iron which is what you get when hot bluing a malleable cast iron part in a caustic bluing solution with the heat too low.

Retail value at auction would probably be in the $50 to $75 range.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 143 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 170

Ok so I have a question, on my Marlin model 21 pump shotgun, it has two different serial numbers on it, one on the receiver and one on the barrel - is that common?

A PHYSICIAN SAID:
"THAT'S THE DEFINITION OF A STOOL SAMPLE."

Old 11-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #10

Liked 86 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by deg View Post
Ok so I have a question, on my Marlin model 21 pump shotgun, it has two different serial numbers on it, one on the receiver and one on the barrel - is that common?
Most likely the barrel was replaced at some point. It happens.