Information on Beretta over-under
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Information on Beretta over-under

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Information on Beretta over-under

I have recently be bitten by the shooting bug. I inherited several rifles and shotguns when my grandfather passed a few years ago and I am interested in gathering some information on them.

One of the guns I received is a Beretta, over-under shotgun, model S56E (I think). I want to get a little more information on this gun (year it was made, approximate value, etc). I'd like to know if this is one I can shoot or needs to be stored away because it is some kind of collectors item.

Where is the best place to find this information? I've checked Beretta's website and didn't see anything that helped in establishing age, etc.

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #2

Liked 2401 Times on 1406 Posts
Likes Given: 540

One of Berrettas first mass produced shotguns, meaning that they did not have or require all of the hand fitting that some of their other models did. they were made from the 1950s -the early 1970s. not an uncommon gun. Condition and the grade that it is in (level of engraving or extra features it has) would dictate price. $700 to $1200 is a pretty good but wide range that I have seen these sell for.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:45 AM   #3

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
One of Berrettas first mass produced shotguns, meaning that they did not have or require all of the hand fitting that some of their other models did. they were made from the 1950s -the early 1970s. not an uncommon gun. Condition and the grade that it is in (level of engraving or extra features it has) would dictate price. $700 to $1200 is a pretty good but wide range that I have seen these sell for.
Thanks for the information. Sounds like its a common gun and I'd probably be ok to shoot it.

Quick question: What is the best way to clean the gun? It's been in a garage closet for some time and has accumulated dirt and other gunk. There is alos a minor rust patch on the barrel.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:51 AM   #4

Liked 2401 Times on 1406 Posts
Likes Given: 540

Get some good gun cleaning solvent and gun oil. A good soft cloth and see about getting the easy stuff cleaned first. Then for the rusty spot try some very fine brass or bronze wool (safer on your gun than steel wool). Use the bronze/brass wool and liberal amounts if the solvent with light buffing to see about removing the rust. Then go back to the soft cloth with gun oil and coat the whole gun to protect it.