is it illegal? - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

is it illegal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9213 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Hey y'all... This thread sucks.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #52
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3355 Times on 2028 Posts
Likes Given: 3184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Enlightening, but not entirely coherent. The law that you cited defines a "shotgun" and a "handgun". It even mentions the existence of guns that are neither and specifically says "A firearm with a pistol grip in lieu of the shoulder stock is not designed to be fired from the shoulder and, therefore, is not a shotgun."

But it does not go on to say that remaking a shotgun into a not-a-shotgun by replacing the stock with a pistol grip renders the firearm illegal. Is there a subsequent paragraph that does say that?

Edit: I read through the full article and found no such subsequent paragraph. But that was just a newsletter, not the entire law on the subject. Do you know whether there is a law about modifying shotguns?
Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
and you provided incorrect information. simply changing a buttstock to a pistol grip isn't illegal as long as you maintain the 26" OAL and the 18" barrel length rule. it's still classified as a shotgun.
Actually, he's just quoting the BATF newsletter that he provided a link for. See the bold section above. They say that the change in question (from buttstock to pistol-grip-only) makes it "not a shotgun". He believes that any change of classification requires some kind of paperwork. I'm sure if anyone asked BATF whether some kind of paperwork was required, they'd say yes just to create more trouble for the gun community.

You guys don't need to shoot the messenger. He's saying that the conversion is (unconstitutionally) illegal unless you file the (unconstitutionally) required paperwork. Once the paperwork is filed, the conversion becomes legal without further modification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrthWhytHype View Post
OMG thank you Balota. That is EXACTLY what I'm saying. Nowhere am I saying that I agree with the legislation. I understand that I haven't cited any of the laws on conversion only because I haven't found them yet. The NFA docs are almost 300 pages long! It's a bull**** law that was put into place to act as kind of a catch all for things that they didn't think of when NFA was enacted. There are lawsuits on record fighting these very laws. I'm only saying that technically you need to file some paperwork with BATF to comply with the crap. I know the weapons are made. I know people own them. I know that if OAL is 26 and barrel is 18 you're good. But the OP asked if it was illegal to make that conversion and I answered.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #53

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Hey y'all... This thread sucks.
It do now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Actually, he's just quoting the BATF newsletter that he provided a link for. See the bold section above. They say that the change in question (from buttstock to pistol-grip-only) makes it "not a shotgun". He believes that any change of classification requires some kind of paperwork. I'm sure if anyone asked BATF whether some kind of paperwork was required, they'd say yes just to create more trouble for the gun community.

You guys don't need to shoot the messenger. He's saying that the conversion is (unconstitutionally) illegal unless you file the (unconstitutionally) required paperwork. Once the paperwork is filed, the conversion becomes legal without further modification.
You & your brother read that however you want want-
eldarbeast Likes This 
Old 01-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #54

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It depends on the state your talking about(to the op). I can only account for my personal laws in CT because they pertain to me and that's all I care about. But I know in ct they have weird laws that mimic the old federal assault weapons ban. Pump shotguns can have whatever attachments as long as the barrel is 18". However if the shotgun is semi auto and has a detachable mag then you cannot have a pistol grip on it at all because it then magically becomes a assault weapon. They do the same thing with rifles where it can only have 1 of the 3- either a threaded barrel, a pistol grip, or a adjustable stock. More then one and it becomes an assault rifle that kills on it's own.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
nice. but the pistol grip i want to install has a buttstock as well.
Good choice! That is the way i went on my old Mossberg 500, 18.5" barrel with full buttstock & pistol grip. I haven't used a pistol grip up front, but it seems like a good idea for HD. It's legal in MS.

Last edited by orangello; 01-21-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #56

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Good choice! That is the way i went on my old Mossberg 500, 18.5" barrel with full buttstock & pistol grip. I haven't used a pistol grip up front, but it seems like a good idea for HD. It's legal in MS.
Had one on a Mossy sum time back-
REALLY helped with control

Old 01-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #57

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post

Had one on a Mossy sum time back-
REALLY helped with control
Ummmmm hoss that wasn't on a scatter gun but on yous walker
.......sorry to bust your soap bubbles