is it illegal? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > is it illegal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Okie dokie.

If you've got one foot in yesterday, and the other in tomorrow, than you're pissing on today.
-unknown-

Old 01-21-2013, 07:19 AM   #42

Liked 127 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
not illegal, but why?
shotguns are pointed, not aimed.
pg and vert grips are for steadying a shot.
waste of money on a shotgun.
Anybody thinks that shotguns are pointed and not aimed have already missed more targets than Carter has pills.

The spead from an improved cylinder at 15 feet (average distance of hallway) is only 6-7 inches. Plenty of room to miss if your target squeezes to left or right of center...

Take aim and make sure of your hit.

eldar

Old 01-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #43

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldarbeast View Post

Anybody thinks that shotguns are pointed and not aimed have already missed more targets than Carter has pills.

The spead from an improved cylinder at 15 feet (average distance of hallway) is only 6-7 inches. Plenty of room to miss if your target squeezes to left or right of center...

Take aim and make sure of your hit.

eldar
You are very correct eldar.....most people still shoot by the point and shoot method in a panic though.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #44

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrthWhytHype View Post
Alright everyone. Now I'm going to try and say this slowly. Converting a shotgun with a buttstock to a pistol grip is illegal. Now if you were to do it while also applying for the tax stamp to have it classified as AOW (any other weapon) you'd be fine. But why spend an extra $200 bucks when you can get one already manufactured for that same price. I'm not saying the ATF is going to kick in your door for it. I'm only stating that under current law it is illegal.

This is from a letter to FFL dealers in 2009.

Link here http://www.nfaoa.org/documents/ffl-newsletter-2009-11.pdf

For document in its entirety.

Firearms with pistol grips attached:
The definition of a shotgun under the GCA, 18 U.S.C.
§ 921(a)(5), is “a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosives to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or single projectile for each single pull of the trigger. Under the GCA, 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(29)(A), handgun means “a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.” Federal law provides under 18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1), that if the firearm to be transferred is “other than a rifle or shotgun,” the purchaser must be 21 years of age or older.
Certain commercially produced firearms do not fall within the definition of shotgun under the GCA even though they utilize a shotgun shell for ammunition. For example, firearms that come equipped with a pistol grip in place of the buttstock are not shotguns as defined by the GCA.
A firearm with a pistol grip in lieu of the shoulder stock is not designed to be fired from the shoulder and, therefore, is not a shotgun. Since it is a firearm “other than a rifle or shotgun,” the purchaser must be 21 years of age or older. Additionally, interstate controls apply. The licensee and transferee must be residents of the same State.

When you do any conversion to a firearm that changes it's CLASSIFICATION you need to go through the channels to have that firearm registered as a NFA item. If you do not you are currently in possession of an illegal firearm. These are all things that you learn when trying to make a SBR or SBS. (Short Barreled Rifle or Short Barreled Shotgun)

Now for the special kids...purchasing a weapon that already has a pistol grip is not illegal because you've done no modifications to change it's classification.

Now I'm pretty sure I've made my point with FACTS rather than playing armchair tough guy and backing up what I say with opinions. I hope this was enlightening to you. :-)
Get a clue dip stick nuthing you said is correct as far as it being illegal. YOU CAN YES CAN PUT A PISTOL GRIP ON A SHOTGUN ,YOU CAN SHORTEN THE BARREL TO AS LONG AS ITS 18".
Old 01-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #45
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22027 Times on 12418 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
Get a clue dip stick nuthing you said is correct as far as it being illegal. YOU CAN YES CAN PUT A PISTOL GRIP ON A SHOTGUN ,YOU CAN SHORTEN THE BARREL TO AS LONG AS ITS 18".
Mulie, he fails to understand that simply replacing the stock with a pistol grip and as long as its 26" OAL and 18" barrel length is maintained that it's classification is not changed.

he must think that the manufacteres don't deal with these issues and he has a better grasp on the legalities of firearms than they do. if it were illegal, then why can they sell one with two different stocks, one a regular buttstock and one a pistol grip? does he think they get some sort of special exemption?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

Mulie, he fails to understand that simply replacing the stock with a pistol grip and as long as its 26" OAL and 18" barrel length is maintained that it's classification is not changed.

he must think that the manufacteres don't deal with these issues and he has a better grasp on the legalities of firearms than they do. if it were illegal, then why can they sell one with two different stocks, one a regular buttstock and one a pistol grip? does he think they get some sort of special exemption?
Or maybe he is a young kid trying to run w the big boys and convince us his knowledge is better than ours, I mean I know alot about guns but I will never EVER know everything about em. I mean everyday on here I see something that makes me realize just how little I really do know about em.......who knows.

Last edited by Marlinman; 01-21-2013 at 08:29 AM.
eldarbeast Likes This 
Old 01-21-2013, 08:34 AM   #47
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22027 Times on 12418 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Or maybe he is a young kid trying to run w the big boys.......who knows.
what i gather is someone trying to read something into something that's not there. or a failure to comprehend simple legalities.

simply put several here have debunked his statements and he still fails to understand. kind of makes you wonder if he has ever even bought a firearm before?

the part the FFL fills out when you buy a firearm asks for type: rifle, pistol, shotgun or other. caliber or guage. serial number. model number. action type. nothing about the type or length of the stock.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #48

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:

Thats right men, some people have bull butter fer brains, takes em longer to savy the issue at hand.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post

Or maybe he is a young kid trying to run w the big boys and convince us his knowledge is better than ours, I mean I know alot about guns but I will never EVER know everything about em. I mean everyday on here I see something that makes me realize just how little I really do know about em.......who knows.
Quote:

what i gather is someone trying to read something into something that's not there. or a failure to comprehend simple legalities.

simply put several here have debunked his statements and he still fails to understand. kind of makes you wonder if he has ever even bought a firearm before?

the part the FFL fills out when you buy a firearm asks for type: rifle, pistol, shotgun or other. caliber or guage. serial number. model number. action type. nothing about the type or length of the stock.
Ya it seems that way to me as well jonas.....as well as the way I described it after I went back and edited my post you quoted

Old 01-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #50
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1842 Times on 1142 Posts
Likes Given: 10396

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
ok, i haven't done anything, yet...so no worries...

i live in texas, so i think i'm okay. but if someone could quickly answer this or send me a reference, i would appreciate it. its a bit of a dumb question...

but my question is, is it legal to put a pistol grip & a forward vertical grip on a shotgun?

i wasn't aware of any rule prohibiting in my state, but i wanted to be sure that there wasn't some state or fed law i was unaware of.

thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
Just don't move to Noo Yark with it.
Don't move to NY at all! As far as if it is legal, there is one bit of information That is not in your post that determines if it is. Is the shotgun semi-auto with a detatchable magazine? Here in my temporary HE!!, it would be legal on a pump, questionable on a semi, and banned on a semi with a removable magazine. I have no idea if it is legal in Texas. If in doubt, contact a lawyer or a LEO. Your local PD should be able to point you in the right direction. Best of luck.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.