Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   is it illegal? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/illegal-81855/)

hawkguy 01-19-2013 05:38 PM

is it illegal?

ok, i haven't done anything, yet...so no worries...:D

i live in texas, so i think i'm okay. but if someone could quickly answer this or send me a reference, i would appreciate it. its a bit of a dumb question... :rolleyes:

but my question is, is it legal to put a pistol grip & a forward vertical grip on a shotgun?

i wasn't aware of any rule prohibiting in my state, but i wanted to be sure that there wasn't some state or fed law i was unaware of.

thanks.

HOSSFLY 01-19-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkguy (Post 1100817)
ok, i haven't done anything, yet...so no worries...:D

i live in texas, so i think i'm okay. but if someone could quickly answer this or send me a reference, i would appreciate it. its a bit of a dumb question... :rolleyes:

but my question is, is it legal to put a pistol grip & a forward vertical grip on a shotgun?

i wasn't aware of any rule prohibiting in my state, but i wanted to be sure that there wasn't some state or fed law i was unaware of.

thanks.

As long as the barrel is 18" up & overall length is 26" or more you shud be fine- (So far)

bobski 01-19-2013 05:51 PM

not illegal, but why?
shotguns are pointed, not aimed.
pg and vert grips are for steadying a shot.
waste of money on a shotgun.

HOSSFLY 01-19-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobski (Post 1100842)
not illegal, but why?

Its usually at least a full page before a left turn is made :rolleyes:

AIKIJUTSU 01-19-2013 05:58 PM

Just don't move to Noo Yark with it.

Blueguns 01-20-2013 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobski
not illegal, but why?

Probably the same reason for a chainsaw grip. Looks.

Also, if it is a pistol grip only gun, a second pistol grip helps distribute recoil.

jsimion423 01-20-2013 01:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Like this? I've since removed the chainsaw grip but they sell and make it.

GrtWhytHype 01-20-2013 02:29 PM

As long as you're not taking off a full length stock to replace it with only a pistol grip than you're fine. You can only put a pistol grip on your shotgun if it came from the manufacturer that way or process it through the ATF. I believe it changes the classification. Now if you're replacing the standard buttstock with say a pistol grip and recoil reducing buttstock you're fine. I don't believe there are any laws regarding front vertical grips. The ATF is a great resource for these questions. I call them all the time to get answers for the specifics. This is actually a question I had to ask them before.

hawkguy 01-20-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrthWhytHype (Post 1102167)
As long as you're not taking off a full length stock to replace it with only a pistol grip than you're fine. You can only put a pistol grip on your shotgun if it came from the manufacturer that way or process it through the ATF. I believe it changes the classification. Now if you're replacing the standard buttstock with say a pistol grip and recoil reducing buttstock you're fine. I don't believe there are any laws regarding front vertical grips. The ATF is a great resource for these questions. I call them all the time to get answers for the specifics. This is actually a question I had to ask them before.

i am looking at replacing the orginal stock, but the pistol grip i want to install is one that has a butt stock, not like the pistol grip above.

thanks for info. any other input appreciated. i guess i should just contact them myself as you said.

hawkguy 01-20-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsimion423 (Post 1102089)
Like this? I've since removed the chainsaw grip but they sell and make it.

nice. but the pistol grip i want to install has a buttstock as well.