if you want to know if you have a rifle or a shotgun...
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > if you want to know if you have a rifle or a shotgun...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 10:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 923 Times on 716 Posts

Default if you want to know if you have a rifle or a shotgun...

tell us how you pull your trigger to fire.

do you exhale and slowly squeeze until it goes off and surprises you...

or do you slap your trigger back?

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/6th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-9-10-2015-a-114464/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-27-2014, 01:39 AM   #2

Liked 355 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Bobski, my personal view is that it all depends on the situation.

With a shotgun on a flying bird, you don't have time to squeeze, you need to pull the trigger fast.

But with a shotgun on a stationery buck, you would squeeze.

Same is true of a pistol or a rifle as well -- it all depends on what the target is doing.

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 07-27-2014, 02:01 AM   #3

that is the purpose of this thread. many here think they have shotguns, but dont know the difference on how to shoot them.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/6th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-9-10-2015-a-114464/
303tom Likes This 
Old 07-27-2014, 02:15 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10550 Times on 4556 Posts
Likes Given: 1692

Ummmm..... pass shooting doves, I swing thru the bird, slapping the trigger as my bead passes the bird.

Shooting at a turkey, I am patiently holding rock steady, not moving- waiting for Mr. Jake to take about 3 more steps. The load of #4 shot will be delivered with no lead.

Both shots are from the same smoothbore Fox Sterlingworth SxS.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:29 AM   #5

Liked 355 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Ummmm..... pass shooting doves, I swing thru the bird, slapping the trigger as my bead passes the bird.

Shooting at a turkey, I am patiently holding rock steady, not moving- waiting for Mr. Jake to take about 3 more steps. The load of #4 shot will be delivered with no lead.

Both shots are from the same smoothbore Fox Sterlingworth SxS.
Yet another extremely good example of both.

Holding and squeezing is for carefully aimed fire.

Pulling is for extremely fast fire.

Same is true of a running shot on a buck with a rifle versus a shot on a standing buck.

Same is true with a pistol shot against an assailant who is pointing his gun at you. All depends.

There are times when holding and squeezing will make you miss or get you killed.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #6

bingo.........many hd owners dont know the differences.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #7

a shotgun can be a rifle, but a rifle cant be a shotgun.
People Like This 
Old 07-30-2014, 10:24 PM   #8

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
a shotgun can be a rifle, but a rifle cant be a shotgun.
You can learn to squeeze the trigger while shooting at moving game. When I shoot skeet the only time I slap the trigger is on station #8. I have shot a buck 8 times with an sks before he got across a logging path. I was not slapping the trigger, every shot hit the deer in the neck, shoulder and lungs. Anyone who says I need to learn to shoot is deluded or just a troublemaker.

Anyone who can hit a running deer 8 times in less than a second is doing some fine shooting.

Last edited by John_Deer; 07-30-2014 at 10:32 PM.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:37 AM   #9
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2344 Times on 1427 Posts
Likes Given: 12838

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
You can learn to squeeze the trigger while shooting at moving game. When I shoot skeet the only time I slap the trigger is on station #8. I have shot a buck 8 times with an sks before he got across a logging path. I was not slapping the trigger, every shot hit the deer in the neck, shoulder and lungs. Anyone who says I need to learn to shoot is deluded or just a troublemaker.

Anyone who can hit a running deer 8 times in less than a second is doing some fine shooting.
I'll agree with the last JD in that it is good shooting, but, if you used a bigger caliber you wouldn't need so many rounds. Let me guess, dog hunt? Man I miss those.

Up here in the North, (relax, I'm still a Son of Dixie at heart, even if my azz is in the land of the carpet baggers we tend to use shotguns with slugs and bigger rifles as the whitetail deer up here are a little larger than they are down there. My first deer, taken on public land near Onslow county NC, was about the same size as my wife's lab, and he was a 4 pointer. My smallest deer up here was about the size of a great dane, and I was still checking for spots before I fired on her.

Like I said, not dissing you or Dixie. I love my SKS as well, but it just ain't a good deer rifle in the northern woods.

As to the OP, I have to answer as others did. It depends on what I am shooting. Stationary target, turkey, deer, etc. Deep breath, slow squeeze, let it out, and the trigger break is a surprise. Moving target, clays, pheasant, quail, rabbit, etc. swing, lead, and slap.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-08-2014, 06:53 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
I'll agree with the last JD in that it is good shooting, but, if you used a bigger caliber you wouldn't need so many rounds. Let me guess, dog hunt? Man I miss those.

Up here in the North, (relax, I'm still a Son of Dixie at heart, even if my azz is in the land of the carpet baggers we tend to use shotguns with slugs and bigger rifles as the whitetail deer up here are a little larger than they are down there. My first deer, taken on public land near Onslow county NC, was about the same size as my wife's lab, and he was a 4 pointer. My smallest deer up here was about the size of a great dane, and I was still checking for spots before I fired on her.

Like I said, not dissing you or Dixie. I love my SKS as well, but it just ain't a good deer rifle in the northern woods.

As to the OP, I have to answer as others did. It depends on what I am shooting. Stationary target, turkey, deer, etc. Deep breath, slow squeeze, let it out, and the trigger break is a surprise. Moving target, clays, pheasant, quail, rabbit, etc. swing, lead, and slap.
shot placement, proper ammo for the intended game and staying within the limits of the cartridge you are using will put almost anything on the ground and then in the freezer.

if those three conditions are not met while hunting, then it's highly likely that a person is going to either wound or miss the animal. shot placement? need to be able to hit where you're aiming and shooting the right area for quick and humane kill. if someone can't do this, they need to practice on paper more before trying it out on game animals. proper ammo? use ammo made for the game you are hunting. seems pretty straightforward to me and fairly simple. most ammunition makers list recommendations of what is best for which type of game you're hunting. cartridge limitations? learning a bit about simple ballistics will give you a pretty good idea as to the limitations of a cartridge.

it's the unethical hunter that steps outside those boundaries and lays blame on his equipment for failing to achieve a quick and humane kill, instead of facing the fact that it was his failing to do his job as a hunter properly.

kfox75 Likes This