Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   if $hit hit the fan what load would you rather have? buck shot or slugs? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/if-hit-hit-fan-what-load-would-you-rather-have-buck-shot-slugs-56078/)

pluspforyou38 01-22-2012 10:56 PM

if $hit hit the fan what load would you rather have? buck shot or slugs?

thinking about stocking up on one or the other

hmh 01-22-2012 11:04 PM

Depends you have a rifle? If so i say go with buckshot.

pluspforyou38 01-22-2012 11:16 PM

just a mossberg 500 for now and a ruger p97 45 saving to get an AR but times are hard

Shoobee 01-22-2012 11:17 PM

Slugs work well for grizzlies. 00-buck works well for everything else.

trip286 01-22-2012 11:52 PM

Wow, that's a specific question. If all I had was a shotgun, I'd stock up on buck shot. I just think its a little more versatile.

hmh 01-22-2012 11:55 PM

Are you talking about a self defense situation? If not wait on the ar and go with a 10/22. You can get a 10/22 good scope and 1,000 rounds of ammo for around or under $320. Imo

Buckethead47 01-23-2012 12:04 AM

If you are using it as home defense, I would not shoot a slug inside my house. You will find that slug inside your neighbors house. buck shot is a good home deference round.

oli700 01-23-2012 04:45 PM

You’re asking about SHTF scenario so most of the over penetration issues are out the door.
Out of your Mossberg, probably cylinder choke, you will have to wait for the threat to get close for the buck to be depended on to stop a threat you might get lucky and get a pellet or two in the right spot beyond 25 yards. If the threat was armed with a good pistol you would be in their range as well. If they had a carbine in pistol caliber they would engage you before you could reliably engage them and if they had a rifle then…well you get the picture.
With slugs you can engage at 100 yards or so and still have enough power to end the threat or you could use up close and end a threat, if you practice a lot you could stretch that out another 50 to 100 yards depending on the load you are shooting.….if I could only have one it would be slugs.

Buckethead47 01-23-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oli700 (Post 686620)
You’re asking about SHTF scenario so most of the over penetration issues are out the door.
Out of your Mossberg, probably cylinder choke, you will have to wait for the threat to get close for the buck to be depended on to stop a threat you might get lucky and get a pellet or two in the right spot beyond 25 yards. If the threat was armed with a good pistol you would be in their range as well. If they had a carbine in pistol caliber they would engage you before you could reliably engage them and if they had a rifle then…well you get the picture.
With slugs you can engage at 100 yards or so and still have enough power to end the threat or you could use up close and end a threat, if you practice a lot you could stretch that out another 50 to 100 yards depending on the load you are shooting.….if I could only have one it would be slugs.

this is either A a really big open house or B a gun fight in the middle of a parking lot. In house there are to many ways people can get caught in the cross fire. I have a daughter and over penetration is a big thing. And like I said neighbors. They are both useful in their own ways. so really it might be better to stock up on both. I was thinking of just hd shtf scenario. But for any shtf scenario, it's best to have multiple kinds of rounds.

oli700 01-23-2012 06:16 PM

Your talking HD....he is asking SHTF....end of society. I can see shtf in an HD scenario but I believe the OP isn’t asking about HD, in the someone in my house 7 yards away since