Ideas for mounting a shotgun - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Ideas for mounting a shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #21
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7202 Times on 3944 Posts
Likes Given: 14672

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
That looked awesome till I looked up the 380$ price tag for a 18"x9" and 900$ 52"x12". There's probably 15$ in materials there....
I thought $60-$80 might be a fair price. It's just a hinged box with some decorative moulding.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 01-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #22
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2163 Times on 1177 Posts
Likes Given: 783

You might want to take a look at some of these:

http://magna-arm.com/

Mount it anywhere out of reach.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 01-01-2014, 09:46 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1664 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Someone already tested your theory out regarding how much sheet rock 00 buck will penetrate:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3_2.htm

You'd be surprised at what standard lead buckshot will go through, whether #00 or #4.

I'm sure plated balls would have slightly better penetration with less deformation.
I am really surprised buckshot would penetrate that much drywall. I shot a broken fold out table at about 30 yards. None of the buckshot penetrated the thin metal table. In fact, I found several flat pellets laying in front of the table. I stabbed the table with a Buck 110 knife. The first try the knife went through the table. A friend tried with the knife and got the same results.

I shot the same table with copper plated buckshot. The plated buckshot went right through the table. Both buckshot loads were 12 ga 3" 1325 fps #00 loads with 15 pellets.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-01-2014, 11:51 PM   #24

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool

I thought $60-$80 might be a fair price. It's just a hinged box with some decorative moulding.
That's exactly how I felt. Not worth the asking price at all
Old 01-02-2014, 01:29 AM   #25
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 960 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Ok, fair enough.

So, based on what you just told me if it were me I'd use the weapons I have had the training to use properly, which would be your handguns. The shotgun is something that can be retrieved if you have time, but you probably won't have time. Personally, after I have my children and wife I'm not going to go wandering around the house to get a long gun, I'm going to call the police and let them deal with the intruder.

Although I'm certain you've already been told this if you attended Thunder Ranch, the best defense is and always will be awareness and your alarms and paying attention to when you enter and leave the residence or your vehicles.

When you have time and money to do so, get some training for your shotgun. Until that time, stick with what you know

Also, if/when you do decide to use your shotgun as part of your home defense plan, see a reputable martial arts instructor in your area who can teach you about how to disarm someone with a long gun and how quickly someone with a knife can reach you. Then you'll have a better understanding of what you need to do to stop someone from taking your gun away from you. In other words, the training you received with the handgun is great and if you have it and can employ it you should use it, but realize that this will happen very fast, with very little warning, and that someone with a simple kitchen knife can be a deadly threat inside the confines of an apartment, even to someone armed with a shotgun. So, get some hand-to-hand training to complement your handguns, with an emphasis on understanding disarms and use of knives.

I'm not trying to discourage you from using the shotgun, just saying that if it were me the first priority is my wife and kids, hence the handgun on my hip and from there if we all happen to be in the same room as the gun safe then perhaps one of us can think about retrieving a carbine or shotgun from the safe while the other watches the door. If it's just me or my wife, we're not going to try to get the shotgun or carbine while an intruder is in the house with us unless our handguns aren't functional and we can't escape from the house.
I have no experience with martial arts or most other forms of self defense. What I inadvertently experienced was this: I was laying on the floor using a cane to do the exercises on my shoulder, between exercises I was tormenting my 12 year old daughter with the end of the cane. In a quicker than I expected move from a 12 year old she had that cane away from me with a snatch and twist. Her athletic expertise consists of one season of middle school volleyball and a couple of dance classes. The lesson inadvertently retaught by a twelve year old girl "don't let anybody within arms reach of your weapon". To me this seems to indicate your best bet for your self defense are your 9mm pistols.