ID assistance, please
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > ID assistance, please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default ID assistance, please

I have this 12 gauge side by side that a personal friend asked me to sell for him. The problem is that I cannot identify the manufacturer. On the sides of the gun , it's stamped MONTE CARLO and IMPORT. There are no other markings, proofs, etc. on the exterior. After breaking it down, I found the serial # and these.

This is about the clearest I can get the pictures with my 8mp digital SLR and no macro lens.

Out of picture, are shield shaped proofs with I in the center. These sit closer to each barrel and were out of focus in the other pic I took. The diamonds at the bottom of each barrel have 12/30 in them.

The gun is blued and with a good quality wood stock. It does not look new at all. The serial # is just a 5 numerical number, no letters. It does resemble a Stoeger, but I cannot be sure. I'm suspecting either a smaller Italian, Spanish, or Belgium manufacturer. I would also doubt that this shotgun is worth a lot, either.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. It's in very nice condition overall and I'd like to get it listed for my friend as he could really use the cash. I've already consulted with a couple of other dealers, one local and one in Charlotte I network with and they were stymied also.

Last edited by wjnfirearms; 01-03-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2544 Times on 1244 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

wjn,

We are going to need a photo shot of that Shield you mentioned or a good drawing of it to assist. You did a great job on the pics you sent. If you are getting glare of the shield which happens as you probably know. If it is on a radiused surface I sometimes put a piece of white paper over the flash and get close for the shot. There were so many shotguns made during the last part of the 1800s and begining of the 1900s both in the USA and England that without seeing the actual proof mark we are seemingly at a dead end. I did some research on the Diamond design pictured but am sure that is possible armorer's markings which may be difficult to track. We will be glad to help you try to find the manufacturer and date. I know you have but sometimes the manufacturers name was down the center of the rib between the barrels or on the bottom down the center and many times very hard to see due to age!
Let us know!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 01-04-2012, 01:58 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5637 Times on 2945 Posts
Likes Given: 372

12/30 means 12ga 30" barrel. in the second pic the stamping "Smokeless Powder" is using a more modern font and appears machine stamped. pre-turn of the century and early 1900's stamping was done by a guy holding a hammer and punch each character was done individually. thats why up till the 40's serial numbers seldom lined up correctly or was hardly ever in exactly the same spot from sample to sample.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thank you, guys. Here is the best pic I could do. The shields are in the upper portion of the photo on both sides on the edge of the flats.

I might have a buyer for him, so it's now become a time sensitive issue as well.

Thanks, again.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:48 AM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2544 Times on 1244 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

wjn,

Sorry but the last picture did not come through!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 01-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I see that. Hmmm. Let's try this again.

Aside the numbers, it says "NO BULLET".

Old 01-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

a pic of the whole gun to might help

Posted by cddbrowns
All you young whipper snappers and your new fangled doo dads have no clue what real construction is.......GET OFF MY LAWN!

“The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.”
Jeff Cooper