IAC Hawk 982 magizine tube jam
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

IAC Hawk 982 magizine tube jam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 02:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 102 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Default IAC Hawk 982 magizine tube jam

SOLVED=see below

So after wanting a Hawk 982 for about 2 years I got a KILLER deal on one brand new from the LGS I did some gunsmithing for.

Now, awsome shotgun I am not gonna lie...BUT one of the first few times I loaded the tube I consistanly obtained a jam where all the shells would stick about 1/2" down the tube and I would have to shove my finger in there to free them and I don't tolorate a failure of this kind in my shotguns so I was close to selling it off.

Long story short I installed a +1 extension, new spring and a anti jam follow and the problem did not happen again............UNTILL NOW.

I looked around online and seen this was a common problem and people have sent their guns to be worked on to correct the issue, me being me decided to figure it out myself and here is what I tested and found.

The reason for the jam is very simple, with the action locked closed the shells will load fine, but if you fire (unlocking the action and bringing it even slighly back) and try to feed shells into the tube they will jam everytime, Now I am a Mossberg guy with more shells through my Mossbergs then most people have ever seen and this is a problem I have never had.

Since the Hawk is basicly a Rem 870 I wonder if this is a common problem due to the design of the action, If anyone with a Rem 870 wants to test this, dry fire, budge your action just a hair back and try to feed 2 or 3 shells and see if they stick, post back and I would love to hear the results.

In conclusion if you have this problem with your Hawk, just make sure your action is locked all the way closed and your shells will not stick in the tube anymore, as for me I will have to adjust my shooting style from my Mossbergs to compensate for this.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2014, 01:48 AM   #2

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Mine has a hard time ejecting shells if you don't rack it really hard and the actions pretty stiff. Any tips for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:53 AM   #3
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2650 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 14619

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
Mine has a hard time ejecting shells if you don't rack it really hard and the actions pretty stiff. Any tips for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
Beast, run a couple hundred rounds through it. This should smooth things out a lot. The other thing is, it's not made of glass. Cycle it like you mean it. It should hold up to this, if not, time to see how good the warranty is.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:57 AM   #4
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2650 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 14619

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathkricket View Post
SOLVED=see below

So after wanting a Hawk 982 for about 2 years I got a KILLER deal on one brand new from the LGS I did some gunsmithing for.

Now, awsome shotgun I am not gonna lie...BUT one of the first few times I loaded the tube I consistanly obtained a jam where all the shells would stick about 1/2" down the tube and I would have to shove my finger in there to free them and I don't tolorate a failure of this kind in my shotguns so I was close to selling it off.

Long story short I installed a +1 extension, new spring and a anti jam follow and the problem did not happen again............UNTILL NOW.

I looked around online and seen this was a common problem and people have sent their guns to be worked on to correct the issue, me being me decided to figure it out myself and here is what I tested and found.

The reason for the jam is very simple, with the action locked closed the shells will load fine, but if you fire (unlocking the action and bringing it even slighly back) and try to feed shells into the tube they will jam everytime, Now I am a Mossberg guy with more shells through my Mossbergs then most people have ever seen and this is a problem I have never had.

Since the Hawk is basicly a Rem 870 I wonder if this is a common problem due to the design of the action, If anyone with a Rem 870 wants to test this, dry fire, budge your action just a hair back and try to feed 2 or 3 shells and see if they stick, post back and I would love to hear the results.

In conclusion if you have this problem with your Hawk, just make sure your action is locked all the way closed and your shells will not stick in the tube anymore, as for me I will have to adjust my shooting style from my Mossbergs to compensate for this.
Tried it DK. had no hang ups with my 870 at all.

Edit. tried again last night. I can pull the slide back about 3\4 of an inch without it happening. Beyond that, jam city.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Last edited by kfox75; 04-23-2014 at 06:44 PM.