Iac hawk 981r rough action?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Iac hawk 981r rough action?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default Iac hawk 981r rough action?

I went to shoot my IAC hawk 981 r yesterday and the action was kind of rough, it always has been but I put around 70 rounds through it yesterday(20 rds of 00 buck,50rds of birds shot and 1 slug lol) and after around 100 rounds through it all together the action is still very stiff and it takes some force to rack it. What can I do to help the action be slicker?
Also the shells kept not full ejecting fully I would have to pull them out sometimes because they would only be halfway out. This problem was either non existent or only happened 2 or 3 times with the 00 buck. Do I just need to rack it harder?
Thanks.

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1209 Times on 674 Posts
Likes Given: 520

My solution to the problem of the rough action of cheap shotguns was to go out and buy a Remington 870 Police Magnum. The 870P has a smooth action and doesn't require a lot of force to operate.

I will assume that you already use a bearing grease on the action bars, so…

If it were me, I'd see if the action bars are binding on anything by working the action. If the bars themselves have any burrs or rough spots a file or stone can smooth that out. Just be careful with the de-burring. A little bit of work with the file or stone goes a long way. Some finish touch-up may be required afterwards.

If the channels that the action bars ride in are rough (if the inside of the receiver is rough) that's more difficult to fix, but still doable. If you can't or won't do the work yourself, it'd probably be cheaper just to get a new one that doesn't have a messed up action.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My hawk took several hundreds of rounds to break in and I still had to use emery paper on the action bars and 000 steel wool on the chamber. It made a big difference. I also used fine emery paper around the outside edge of the chamber and it now ejects cheap low brass shells fine. Using oil on the action bars and lots of racking the slide also helps. The hawk is one tough shotgun and it's a little rough around the edges, it needs some love to get it running correctly. But once you get it right, it will last a lifetime or more. I put a Hogue 12" LOP stock on mine and then a Limbsaver slip on pad on top of that so the total LOP is now 13". It now fits me correctly and shoots good.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2119 Times on 1457 Posts
Likes Given: 793

It sounds like you need to follow Underdog's advice. Get some emery cloth to clean up the action bars magazine tube and the inside of the forearm. You shouldn't have to push back on the slide, especially with buckshot and slugs. Recoil is supposed to push the slide back for you.

If emery cloth doesn't do the trick I would get some jewelers rouge. Apply jewelers rouge to the moving parts. Then just pump the gun for 10 or 15 minutes. Use CLP powder blast to remove the jewelers rouge and any remaining grease that is on the gun. CLP powder blast will remove any oil or grease that is in the gun. Powder Blast is not a lubricant, it is only a cleaner.

One last thought. When guns come from the factory they appear to be lubricated but they are not. The grease you see is a preservative. The gun needs to be field stripped, cleaned and lubricated before it will work right.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 11-25-2013, 05:39 AM   #5

alright, thanks guys. Its a weird gun, ionly have about 120 round through it and its tough to rack. I was shooting a bulk box of bird shot yesterday and 20 rounds through the action was stuck back, apparently it was stuck on the ejector??? I shot a few more round through it(pushed the ejector down and slid the action forward) and it started working fine but needed some force to cycle it. It is still pretty tough to rack it and i thoroughly cleaned it today too. I attached a picture of the ejector.

image-3042471242.jpg  
Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #6

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Are those metal shavings??? It would help with better pics put it looks like something is about to break but I can't tell what I am looking at.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:53 AM   #7

Nope, not that I could see. When i cleaned it that was all dirt and grime because I have not cleaned it in awhile. I have a video I can try putting up. EDIT: Here are some more pictures. I just started racking it alot a second ago and it still gets stuck on the ejector. It was fine for 15 pumps or so now it jams up. Also when I pump it, about 2/3 of the way through it gets rough the first 2/3 is fine but the last bit of the stroke takes extra force even when the hammer is already back. One picture is with the bolt out, the other 2 are with it in.

Link to the video:http://youtu.be/wfqa7kwwJ00

image-3494305416.jpg   image-2201898837.jpg   image-3020296275.jpg  

Last edited by beastmode986; 11-26-2013 at 02:30 AM.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Is it possible you ejector is bent out too much causing the bolt to bind the action up?

Old 11-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #9

I guess its possible but it was fine the week before this one.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I think it would be a good idea to totally strip that thing down and scrub it clean and relube it. In the process look for anything bent or binding up causing the action to lock up like it does.