I Need Your Opinions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > I Need Your Opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I Need Your Opinions

Im going to be 18 really soon and as soon as I am, im buying my first shotgun (yay XD) and I need to know what you think will be good for me to have. Im going to use it for self defense basically. Ive shot a 500 tactical mossberg which I really like. Easy control and not to bad of kick. But Im interested in seeing what you guys think. If you could tell me why I want your opinion-gun id be happy Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2010, 11:19 PM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2130 Times on 1156 Posts
Likes Given: 770

Having a shotgun for self-defense is great. But if this is your first shotgun, I'd buy something I could have some fun with as well. Shooting clays is a blast, and there are several guns that would be great for SD and clays.

Pumps are great for SD, but would be the third choice for clays behind a double gun or semi-auto. So I'd recommend you take a hard looks at some O/U's, side by sides, and some autos. They're typically more expensive but can pay back in fun.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Plenty of choices out there, that is for sure. When I turned 18, I bought a Mossy 500A, and it came with 3 chokes. I still use that same gun for hunting deer, turkey, shooting clays and HD. They are affordable and there's plenty of aftermarket and mfr stuff available for good prices. Oh, I should mention that mine is over 20 years old, and I have no clue how many thousands of shells have been through it, both 2-3/4" and 3". Shot and slugs.

If you can afford a brand new one, a Remmy 870 with 2 barrels is always a winner.

As far as the fancier o/u and side-by-sides as well as the semis can come later in life, should you even see a need. Jmo.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-10-2010, 12:34 AM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Awh....get what you want!

Ithaca 37 Homeland Security:

Ithaca 37 "Stakeout"

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-10-2010, 12:42 AM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Any mossberg will do you fine. Ive owned many of them in many variations.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 05-10-2010, 12:56 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5647 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

i started out with 20gauge single shot i bought for 50$. but im a huge mossberg shotgun pump fan got a 835 and a 590.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:08 AM   #7

The sound of a pump gun pretty much says "Go Away" in every language. The mossbergs and remigtons aren't too pricey. As for sizes and gauges, you should shoulder some to find one that fits you!!! Remember, this is your present to yourself for making it to 18.... you will treasure this gun for life! Be sure to shop around, and get your hands on as many as possible before buying one ;-)

Old 05-10-2010, 03:40 AM   #8

Thank you guys. I was really thinking something like the 500 tactical, but the remington 870 is just a classic. I really like the size and handleing of the mossberg..i just need to try a lot of them out lol.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:54 AM   #9

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenima View Post
Thank you guys. I was really thinking something like the 500 tactical, but the remington 870 is just a classic. I really like the size and handleing of the mossberg..i just need to try a lot of them out lol.
Mossy 500...all you need for HD in my opinion. Reliable, field-tested and inexpensive...Does one thing and does it well.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 05-10-2010, 03:57 AM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I myself like the Mossberg 500 mariner, its stainless and believe it holds 9+1.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.