I need a shotgun for pest birds! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > I need a shotgun for pest birds!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2014, 05:58 AM   #11
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2292 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 669

I bought a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 2 barrel combo for $314 otd last week. One barrel was 28" with screw in chokes and the other was an 18.5" cylinder bore for HD. It also came in 20 gauge but I think the 2nd barrel was a 24" rifled slug. Big 5 had it on special for $320 and I had a 10% off coupon. If you have a Big 5 in your area join their Eteam and they will send you coupons by email. You will have to print them. They have the sales frequently. Another gun you might consider is a 20 gauge double. I found mine used for $300. They are usually choked improved and modified so you have 2 quick shots with different chokes. I like 2 triggers better than one but that is a personal preference.
This week they have the Mossberg 20" 12 gauge 8 shot security for $310 if anyone is looking for an HD shotgun.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:36 AM   #12
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3358 Times on 2272 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennTrucker View Post
I picked up a nice used .410 today at a trade day so my mom can shoot sparrows around her house. A nice single shot for $165.

You can get a used Pump for just a bit more......Say around $2-225.000

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 06-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Im vote is for a 12 gauge Mossburg 500.
You say you are young but you will grow fast and a 12 gauge will be more versatile. You can buy shot shells with low power loads such as skeet loads which will mimic a 20 gauge.
If you get a Mossburg model with screw in chokes and a 26 inch barrel you will be set for a long time. Also get a model that you can get other barrels for such as a rifled barrel for deer.
I find that size 9 shot works well for most birds smaller than pigeons under 30 yards and contains much more shot allowing the use of a more open choke.
Some things to consider

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #14
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 565 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 2864

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
You can get a used Pump for just a bit more......Say around $2-225.000

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
I have seen a few used pumps here for around that price also, but they sure looked beat!

Old 06-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2030 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 772

Maverick 88 shotguns are under $200 everyday at Walmart. I could probably find an 8 shot pump for $230 online.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 06-10-2014, 07:03 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Maverick 88 shotguns are under $200 everyday at Walmart. I could probably find an 8 shot pump for $230 online.

That makes it a lot better. Our family's small business has been having some trouble since Obama got in but we're recovering.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:15 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Tommy View Post
At my family farm we have a lot of starlings and house sparrows that need to be shot. I've shot several with a bolt action .22 with CCI bird****, but it doesn't give reliable killing power. I need a shotgun to kill these birds on the ground and in the air, but they don't fly very high. I am young, so a 20 gauge or .410 would be best. I want to be able to fire quickly as well, with at least a 3 round tube magazine. Pump action preferred. I'm NOT looking for a pretty, high price shotgun, but one that is reliable and at a price range of 325-500 dollars. Thanks for any help!
Have you thought about just sniping away at them with a premium air rifle? That would definitely build your rifleman skills. Cheaper ammo than bird shot.

Crosman makes a Nitro Venom Dusk rifle in .177 or .22 pellet shooter...

Become steel or get cut.
JTJ Likes This 
Old 06-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

An air rifle does make sense for close in work.
You mentioned you are young-how young are you, as it affects answers.
What kind of birds are you shooting and at what range.
Will you be shooting birds in the barn?=air rifle = no holes in the roof and missed shots usually do not spook the birds.
Will you be using your choice for hunting, if so, what do you anticipate hunting?

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:04 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by montveil View Post
An air rifle does make sense for close in work.
You mentioned you are young-how young are you, as it affects answers.
What kind of birds are you shooting and at what range.
Will you be shooting birds in the barn?=air rifle = no holes in the roof and missed shots usually do not spook the birds.
Will you be using your choice for hunting, if so, what do you anticipate hunting?

I'm 12, and won't be shooting from more than 20 yards outside. I won't be shooting in the barn because it has a bit of a weird roof, but I'd love to be able to take a shot at a bird flying out the door(huge doorways). I want to be able to take out birds that gather in the fields in groups of 15-30 by either firing rapidly or if an air rifle is quiet enough, fire from a distance. I still think a shotgun would be better because of all the flying birds around. Th birds are house sparrows(little birds) and jet black ugly starlings with yellow beaks(around the size of a red winged blackbird). I am interested in skeet shooting as well but I've never done it.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:10 AM   #20
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7684 Times on 4174 Posts
Likes Given: 16102

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Tommy View Post
I'm 12....
Discuss this with your parent(s) or guardian(s)

No offense and none taken

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄