Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > I need shotgun help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default I need shotgun help

I recently saw a WW2 trench gun at the flea market.
I was not sure if pump action shot guns were allowed in the state of Ohio so I did not purchase the gun. I came home and looked it up. Pump action shot guns are allowed in Ohio. So this week I want to go buy and purchase it.
I am at this site once again because you all have shown me that this place is practically a gun encyclopedia.
So here is what I know about it:

It was priced at 130$.
It was made by Winchester... I think.
It has had a stock repair to the handle.
It is old..... lol
It was *supposedly* used in WW2.
I believe it was an internal hammer.
There was no rust.
There was something like a safety by the trigger. I have never operated a pump action before (just a single shot) so I was unable to pump it. I asked for help and the man showed me how to pump the rifle.
It appeared that the shells are ejected out of a hole to the right side.
I did not look at how the gun was loaded.
The action was smooth.
Looked something like this: http://image.absoluteastronomy.com/images/encyclopediaimages/w/wi/winchester_model_1912.jpg

Out of the little bit of info that I have provided, is this possibly a good gun, is 130$ fair and is this a WW2 trench gun?

I am sorry that I could not provide more information.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Last edited by saviorslegacy; 05-18-2010 at 12:19 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-18-2010, 12:38 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2554 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Winchester Model 12. A correct "trenchgun" will have the US ordnance stamp (Flaming bomb). Model 12's are solid guns. Hard to go wrong at that price. Not likely legit though as a bona fide WWII M-12 trench gun will sell for many times that price.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-18-2010, 01:08 AM   #3

Default Far too many "I thinks", "I thoughts" etc.

Suggest you look at in detail next time as almost all the information you are unsure of is right there on the gun.

This is what a real Winchester model 12 trench gun looks like and in decent shape is worth at least $1500.00.

File:Trench Shotgun win12 800.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If it survived more than 5 minutes w/o being sold, I doubt it's any authentic trench gun.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8322 Times on 3598 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

First- go get this tattoed somewhere you can see it easily-

"Buy the gun, not the story."

Now, IF it is a Winchester, and it is in shooting order, it is almost certainly worth $130. Just for grins, if you offered a $100 bill and a $20 bill, you would probably own a shotgun. If it IS a Model 12, worth well over that. You can get a replacement stock for a Model 12 at Numrich (gunpartscorp.com)

Not all military shotguns were Trench Guns. There are riot guns, guns used to guard prisoners, used to train aerial gunners (learning to lead clay pigeons), and guns that belonged to the recreation sections. A true military shotgun will usually be marked with the flaming bomb mark of US Ordnance, and US PROPERTY stamped on it.

The doo-dad by the trigger may be the release for the slide- allows you to pump the action without pulling trigger. Used to load/unload chamber.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.