Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   I need a new skeet gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/i-need-new-skeet-gun-98806/)

ARlover 10-15-2013 02:24 AM

I need a new skeet gun

M new to the sport shot a 24 out of 25 but my mossberg 12ga is a B to shoot even with the after market pad!!! What are some good shoot guns for skeet around $600

havasu 10-15-2013 03:15 AM

IMHO, Remington 1100 or similar for an semi auto,or Remington 870 Wingmaster Skeet for a pump action. I myself choose a Browning Citori, but it is an over and under, and a tad out of that price range.

cottontop 10-15-2013 08:32 PM

$600 and good skeet gun do not usually fit well in the same sentence. If you are going to get serious about the sport, then an O/U must be considered. You can maybe find a used Browning Citori for under $1000 if you really look at shows, shops, and auctions and are patient. I would start saving my money and start looking. Nothing wrong w/ a used Citori. You just can't wear them out.
ct

DeltaF 10-15-2013 09:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Remington 870 wingmaster with a 26 inch barrel or longer and a good solid wood stock.

You might also want to look into a "shoulder shield" or "shoulder recoil pad." Some of the smaller females in our office use them for shotgun qualification and they swear by them. A few of the more practical SWAT members use them as well, in spite of a lot of ribbing. They make long sessions with a shotgun quite enjoyable.

I've heard a lot of good things about the slipover "limb saver" recoil pad. Don't know what after market pad your using.

Attachment 122569 Shoulder recoil pad Attachment 122570 Limbsaver slip over recoil pad

Virginian 10-15-2013 10:29 PM

Look for a good used Remington 1100 or a Beretta 300 series. Whichever one you like the feel of best will outlive you with decent care. O/Us are preferred, but you are better off with a good semi auto than a cheap O/U. The gas semis kick much less than a pump.

indy36 10-16-2013 12:01 AM

'Good skeet gun' and 'under $1200' don't go hand-in-hand.

TimL2952 10-16-2013 12:15 AM

Hey, how's it goig? My name is Tim and I've been shooting Skeet, Trap, and Sporting clays competitively for almost 10 years now.

First things first.

1. How seriously do you want into this sport? It's more than possible to shoot skeet casually with a $600 gun, or even cheaper. However, if you plan on getting into it, you'll probably be looking at something in the $800-$XX,000 range. Here at LU students shoot with everything from custom Remington 1100s to Kreighoffs and Kolars that cost up to ~$10,000.

2. Nothing is more important than fit when it comes to clay shooting. The better the gun fit, the easier it is to train you to your max. Shop around and find something that fits.

That being said...If you change your budget, I have a Browning 425, 12ga., 30" ported barrel shotgun for sale with 2 factory chokes and leather hard case for $1,400.

magnumman 10-16-2013 12:51 AM

I use my Remington 1100 20ga. Sure it's not a $10,000 European o/u but it seems to work pretty well for me. Great pheasant gun too.

bobski 10-16-2013 11:40 PM

tons of them out there.
what state you in?>

Gonzilla 10-17-2013 12:07 AM

Go to your local skeet club and see what they are shooting. Most skeet people will let you handle (check for gun fit) and even shoot their guns. Most are excellent ambassadors of their sport.

O/U kind of rule the roost for a variety of reasons. They are also called $2K shell catchers. I have been in summer skeet for a few years and getting damn tired of picking up shells but it is recoil friendly. O/U spend a lot of $$$ trying to get their O/U to recoil as little as a gas gun but they can shoot light loads. Autos need more powder to cycle action

No free lunch. Just don't buy a hunting O/U for skeet or a lower end gun. Your shoulder will thank you. Skeet guns are heavy for a reason.