Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > I need a hint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I need a hint

I recently acquired an exposed hammer double. I disassembled it and found it to be in pretty good condition, but the barrel release lever spring / assembly is missing. I'd really like to install something resemblind the original, but I'd like to have a hint on what the original actually looked like. Am I wrong to think all guns of this vintage would have similar mechanisms? I'm hoping someone can show me a diagram or photo of their gun barrel release lever spring so I can start to fabricate / install something that will work. Photo attached. I've got my fingers crossed. I'm disappointed in myself for not being able to "imagine" what the original looked like. Help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Joe,

I am sure that someone will ba along shortly to give you some answers. In the mean time, can you go by the Introductions section and tell us a little about yourself?

Thanks

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 05-09-2010, 09:15 PM   #3

Liked 66 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Any side lock will have the same basic setup whether it has exposed hammers or not. Basically you need a lever to push the pawl over with. You might if it's a common brand find an original on gunbroker or some other website

Old 05-09-2010, 10:41 PM   #4

Considering I'm new at the shotgun game I wouldn't know what a standard spring assembly would look like. That's my problem. This is an English gun, W.J. Golcher, with English proof marks. 1870s or so. Would a "standard" assembly use a similar pin location and slot? I'm still trying to visualize it.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #5

Linda, No help so far. Should I repost with a different title? All I want is someone to show me what the spring assembly looks like. I found one while surfing the web that looked like it might work, but I'm still a bit iffy about the slot. I would think there used to be some sort of soldered piece to support the spring. Any suggestions?