I just received my 870! (got some questions)

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > I just received my 870! (got some questions)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default I just received my 870! (got some questions)

There's nothing quite like getting a brand new gun. I just came back from my gun shop, I've got a new Remington 870 Express (with a 3" chamber) with two barrels (a 20" with rifle sights and a 28" with vented rib).

The finish is fine, a bit spartan looking but decent. I might work on the wood parts to make them nicer. I can't complain since I got the shotgun, two boxes of Winchester Super X shells (00 Buckshot and slugs) and a Hoppe's cleaning kit in exchange for my broken Taurus Judge.

I'm dying to try it out, since it's my first shotty (I've used them before, but never owned one). But I've got to wait until tomorrow. I've got it right next to me under my desk at work, and I'm fighting the urge to start playing with it. Luckily, gun fondling is allowed, almost encouraged, in this office, but the hippie interns might be scared.

Anyway, I'm planning on shooting it a lot before doing any mods other than an extended magazine. Is this a good idea or is there anything that absolutely must be replaced? I'm going to focus on defense use at first, hunting and other stuff can wait (I mean, if I miss a shot hunting, it's no big deal, can't say the same about a HD scenario).

I'm planning on keeping it loaded with a mixture of slugs and 00 buckshot. Is this a terrible idea? Overpenetration is not an issue at my house, I'm just worried about feeding realiability with different types of ammo.

After I play around with it a bit tomorrow, I'm signing up for some defensive shotgun classes.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Go with a sidesaddle shellholder and a light. Anything else is just goof.

Here's a decent list of things to do and not do.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:53 PM   #3

I would consider this the absolute minimum... K.I.S.S.

tac_sa_sling.jpg  

I confess that I have no desire to confess.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:57 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You won't have any issues with feeding different types of ammo. Personally, I'd stick with Buckshot. Once you get used to it, you won't miss.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Gabe Suarez has a good video on CQB w/ a shotgun. Watch it.

At most you want a light, sling and mag tube extender. For HD, you may want a tactical pistol grip and stock and foregrip. I prefer the tac model but it isn't necessary.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Nothing needs to be done before you try it. Is the 20" rifled sight a rifled barrel or smooth bore? Anyhoo, with a smooth bore, make sure the slugs are rifled.

See how you do with a point and shoot scenario, maybe from the hip and all to see if the forend jumps out of your hand. If so, it is easier with a pistol grip or a strap so you can hold it better.

Other than that, enjoy. I will be waiting for a range report.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 10-21-2009, 02:57 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the advice!

Skull, the 20" barrel is smooth bore, it just has rifle sights. I was about to go for a rifled one, but this one seemed like it would be more versatile. After all, I expect to be firing buckshot 90% of the time. If I start enjoying slugs a lot (for hunting and such, for instance), I might get a rifled barrel.

I really hope I can master this thing, handguns in my country are limited to FMJ ammo for self defense, so I'd feel a lot better being proficient with a shotgun. I'm going to take some classes as well.

I'll try to post a range report tomorrow. It'll be lame because I've only got an indoor range with a 25 meter limit close by. Luckily I'm allowed to take a few "range days" every month at work (it's good to be the boss...) so I don't have to wait until the weekend.

Accesory wise, I'm getting the mag extension and perhaps some shell holders. I don't have many light options around here, so I might order one from the US. They've got those Surefire forends at a local shop, are they good? The furniture the gun came from seems very comfortable (I've been playing Rambo around the house with some dummy rounds).

I guess I'll know better after firing it. I don't want to make any drastic changes for a while, since I asume that any problem I might have will be probably 95% due to technique (or lack of it) and it will only be corrected by training.

(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 10-23-2009, 01:30 AM   #8
RMc

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Keep it Simple!

Invest your money in ammo! Shoot with a purpose, shoot a lot and learn the shotgun before you try the "funky, cool, tactical gizmos."

Old 10-23-2009, 02:57 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMc View Post
Invest your money in ammo! Shoot with a purpose, shoot a lot and learn the shotgun before you try the "funky, cool, tactical gizmos."
That's they way I'm going about it. I'll only get the mag extension and a shell holder. I'm leaving the rest alone since it works well. For the price of some of the accesories I was looking at I can sign up for one on one lessons with a really good instructor.

I don't like the tacticool look anyways.

(canto XII, st. 6)