Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > I have a new lady

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 11:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

The Mossy IC is good for shot, rifled slug and buck shot. The tighter the choke, the tighter the pattern. Turkey chokes are for hunting (turkey obviously) and are good for lead only (in most cases) and throw a tight pattern out to 40 yds. Any choke maker that says it is good for Mossy 500 is good to go. They make choke tube wrenches, but a nickel works well and will not mar the choke. A drop of lube or oil on the threads helps. Do not fire without some choke in the barrel as this will mess up the threads, they are very fine.

Around here, you can get a good used one for about $170. This is in a shotgun state. You can get many different barrels for the gun, but most new barrels will cost about as much as the used gun itself.

That shotty should be able to take 3" and 2-3/4" shells. The gun came with a plug that would only allow 3 shells to be loaded into the tube at one time. Remove that, and it should be able to handle 5 or 6. A butt pad is not a bad idea if you plan on using the 3" mags. That barrel should be smooth, so if you plan on using slugs (copper split tops are devistating), use rifled slugs.

I have had my Mossy for over 20 years. I use the same gun with the same barrel for hunting deer and turkey. The only change I make is with the choke. I have a full choke for turkey and the IC for deer (rifled slugs). If the wife would let me, I would keep my Mossy in the bed with me. (I did when I was single, and no, I never violated it)

Can you tell I love my Mossy?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 09-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Skull - Being a "shotgun state" - have you seen more purchases since the election??

At first, our AR's were going faster than we could get parts, and I assume it was the same all across the state. By Nov., the shotguns were flying off the shelves as fast as we could get them in and get them home defense ready.

We have two local shows, a total of two a month, and the shotguns on the used market haven't dried up, but they have gone up in price, that is for sure...

What's it like around there??

Old 09-03-2009, 12:17 AM   #13

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
The Mossy IC is good for shot, rifled slug and buck shot. The tighter the choke, the tighter the pattern. Turkey chokes are for hunting (turkey obviously) and are good for lead only (in most cases) and throw a tight pattern out to 40 yds.
Ill just add here that in reguards of the Turkey Choke, its not recommended you use Buckshot. At least thats what I'v been told and read.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 09-03-2009, 12:24 AM   #14

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Skull - Being a "shotgun state" - have you seen more purchases since the election??

At first, our AR's were going faster than we could get parts, and I assume it was the same all across the state. By Nov., the shotguns were flying off the shelves as fast as we could get them in and get them home defense ready.

We have two local shows, a total of two a month, and the shotguns on the used market haven't dried up, but they have gone up in price, that is for sure...

What's it like around there??
Not so much with the shotguns (everyone has at least one for hunting), but the AR's and pistol sales have jumped thru the roof. No ammo to be found most times. Shotguns are plentiful in Ohio since there is no rifle hunting statewide for large game. Like I said, everyone has at least one. Hd shottys are not in big demand around here.

Price wise, the used shottys have not gone up since the demand is not up. New hd's absolutely. I saw a street sweeper with the LARGE comp, pistol grip and strap on the forend priced over $600. That is just plain nuts, imho.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 09-03-2009, 02:08 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the wisdom, Skull. How does one remove that plug?

Edited: Never mind, Skull... Youtube is your friend.

Last edited by user4; 09-03-2009 at 06:18 PM.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:46 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Good choice Ineff. I have a Mossy 500 with an 18.5" barrel on it for HD.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-17-2009, 06:51 PM   #17

How about this (from Trulock Chokes)?

Name #% Inches Constriction
Cylinder Bore 40 .000
Skeet 1 45 .005
Improved Cylinder 50 .010
Skeet 2 55 .015
Modified 60 .020
Improved Modified 65 .025
Full 70 .030
Extra Full 73 .040
Turkey 75+ .045+

Oops! This wound up on the wrong post, and I can't figure out how to remove it!

We have met the enemy, and he is us. Walt Kelly/Pogo

Old 09-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #18

How about this (from Trulock Chokes)?

Name #% Inches Constriction
Cylinder Bore 40 .000
Skeet 1 45 .005
Improved Cylinder 50 .010
Skeet 2 55 .015
Modified 60 .020
Improved Modified 65 .025
Full 70 .030
Extra Full 73 .040
Turkey 75+ .045+

We have met the enemy, and he is us. Walt Kelly/Pogo

Old 09-17-2009, 08:00 PM   #19

[QUOTE=skullcrusher;154681]
Around here, you can get a good used one for about $170. This is in a shotgun state. You can get many different barrels for the gun, but most new barrels will cost about as much as the used gun itself

$170 you say. Is that a private or trade sale. Im looking for a cheap reliable shotgun for hunting ( arent we all). Do you know anyone selling one?