I have a new lady
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > I have a new lady

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default I have a new lady

I just did a little horse trading and picked up my very first shotgun, a very nice Mossy 500. Never having owned a shotty, or even fired one, I have a n00b question for you pros.

How does the whole choke system work? I understand that there is full choke, modified choke, and improved choke... which choke does what? How do I determine which choke is currently installed? The seller said he wasn't sure, but thought it was "modified".

I shall defer to youtube for instructions on choke installation and removal.

Muchas grassy ass

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #2

Chokes vary the spread of the shot pattern by changing the size of the constriction at the end of the barrel. This is used to adjust the pattern for the distance you will be shooting. The more open the choke, the wider the pattern is spread and vice-versa. For shooting up close targets a cylinder or bore choke would be used. These have no restriction of the barrel. For longer shots, say on ducks or geese you would use some variation of the full choke. This tightens the pattern putting more shot consistently on the target at longer distances. The basic chokes are cylinder(also open or bore in some cases), Imp. Cylinder, Modified, Imp. Modified and Full. There are several other variations, but generally the prior listed will cover 99% of your shooting.

To determine what choke you have you should either look at the barrel if the choke is fixed or look on the tube after you remove it from the barrel. On older shotguns the choke will be "fixed" or built in to the barrel. Usually modified or Imp. Cylinder. On older double barrels usually it will be modified over Imp. Cylinder. On newer shotguns that use choke tubes, the designation of the tube should be etched into the side of the tube somewhere. Choke tubes can be either extended or flush fit. The flush fit ones are usually harder to identify as fouling can cover the indicator mark after extended shooting with no cleaning. Just use some bore cleaner and the designating mark should be on there somewhere. Extended tubes are usually marked on the external portion for quick identification. If there is no marking on the tubes, you can use a micrometer to measure the internal diameter and look up what choke it would be based on that.

This is a list of all of the chokes I have personally seen or read about, but I have not used all of them. The farther down you go, the tighter the choke / pattern.

Diffuser (Extremely specialized, only seen it once, marked as a "D")
Cylinder (C, Cyl, O, Open, Bore)
Skeet (SK)
Improved Cylinder (IC)
Light Modified (LM)
Modified (M)
Improved Modified (IM)
Light Full (LF)
Full (F)
Extra Full ( Never seen the indicator for this one, assume it would be EF)
Super Full (SF)

There is also a "Turkey" choke, I know nothing about this one.

If you'd like, I can post a picture of my kit and all of my choke tubes later when I get back to the fort. They don't let me come in to the office armed .

"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he excites among his opponents." - Winston Churchill

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

Last edited by Caliche; 09-02-2009 at 06:59 PM.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:08 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
I just did a little horse trading and picked up my very first shotgun, a very nice Mossy 500. Never having owned a shotty, or even fired one, I have a n00b question for you pros.

How does the whole choke system work? I understand that there is full choke, modified choke, and improved choke... which choke does what? How do I determine which choke is currently installed? The seller said he wasn't sure, but thought it was "modified".

I shall defer to youtube for instructions on choke installation and removal.

Muchas grassy ass
De nada.

What ya gonna use it for Ineff? Home defense or hunting? BTW, nice all around, general purpose shotty.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Muchas grassy ass
Only when I mow

"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he excites among his opponents." - Winston Churchill

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

Old 09-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info, Caliche. That was exactly what I was looking for. I only plan on using this for home defense and when ACORN census takers stop by.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Caliche. That was exactly what I was looking for. I only plan on using this for home defense and when ACORN census takers stop by.
That a boy!!

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

Old 09-02-2009, 08:06 PM   #7

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

First shotgun? Really? Well all I can say is there is a reason they are so popular, and your bound to love it. Most people I talk to have at LEAST one shotgun. They are a addiction all teir own. Gotta love the recoil(some people complain I know, but I love it) There is a reason they call them BOOM sticks!

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 09-02-2009, 10:24 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What would the true value of one of these bad boys be? It's not new, but certainly in very god condition.

Last edited by user4; 09-03-2009 at 03:04 AM.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:09 PM   #9

It looks to be in pretty good shape from the pictures, interchangeable barrel, I would venture to guess without being able to handle it, check the slide pump action for tightness and visualize the barrel, between $250-$300. That's a nice shotty there Ineff.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 09-02-2009, 11:54 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

That's a fair price for around these parts as well. Probably $200 to $250 in a stock configuration. Could go higher with some aftermarket mods.

We recently, maybe 2 weeks ago, sold one for $550 that had been modified with a multi-position stock ( I think it was 4 pos ), ghost rings, 2 position quick release sling and the whole thing was freshly parkerized....

You got yourself a good home gun there Ineff, I would hang onto it.

JD