Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > I had a misfire today,

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 03:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I had a misfire today,

Pulled the trigger, the firing pin hit but the shell did not fire. I didn't realize this until I ejected the shell and picked it up. My buddy found a hole which we tossed it in.

Has this ever happened to anyone? What would be the correct way to dispose of the shell?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2010, 06:03 AM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It happens. I've heard of several reasons why this happens. I always assume when I have a dud or find a live round on the range that it was a slow burning primer and that thing is going to go off when I pick it up. Best case scenario, nothing happens. Worst case scenario, it goes off full tilt with a case failure...you now have to wipe with your left hand. I'm only assuming, I've only seen the hunter safety course photos of the guy who tries to reload using bathroom scale and blows himself up.

I wouldn't say you did anything wrong, but I definitely would not hang onto the round. You did the right thing by putting it somewhere where it was no longer a danger to anyone else.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-01-2010, 06:36 AM   #3

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

i always attempt a second strike on a dud.

every range ive visited has dud buckets.

most squib/dud buckets have a light oil or solvent in them which will seep the bullet/case seal and render the powder inert.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-01-2010, 08:00 AM   #4

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
i always attempt a second strike on a dud.
I do that also. My 30-30 sometimes strikes the primer light, so I keep the rifle pointed downrange and try again. It has done this maybe 3 times and has always gone off the second try.

It hasn't done that since I've started hand-loading.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Basically, there are two options here:ammo failure or weapon failure.

Did you take a look at the primer? Did it have a good, solid hit or was the indentation too shallow?

If the shotgun was clean and in good working order, have a gunsmith take a look at it just for good measure. If it was a problem with the ammo, don't worry about it. Just avoid that brand for serious uses.

Most ranges have a "dud box" to dispose of unfired ammo, ask one of the instructors or range employees.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 02-04-2010, 03:24 AM   #6

When ever I get a "dud" I wait a minute or so to make sure it's not a slow burn. If nothing happens then I remove the round from the receiver and dispose of it properly.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:57 AM   #7

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I've had it happen in the past. A couple of rounds, over the years, of cheap wad cutters for my .44 mag did this. Leave it in the gun for a couple of minuets with the barrel pointing down to the dirt/ground and away from others, then dispose of round in a safe manner and place.

I hate this when it happens.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2611 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 203

I'm a cheap bastage. After exercising the proper "wait one minute wtih muzzle pointed down range" I take the round home, dismandle it and reuse the bullet and case. In the case of shotgun ammo, I cut them open and salvage the shot.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball