Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > I comitted Shotgun Sin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default I comitted Shotgun Sin

Ok...I probably comitted the worst sin in the shotgun world. I had a Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U in 20 guage. It was a beautiful gun and shot great despite the bad reviews it sometimes gets online (can't believe everything you read). While it was a nice gun I am more a hunter than a gun aficionado and I never got used to two barrels. I guess I am just a one barrel guy. So.... I got rid of "the pretty gun" as my wife affectionatley called it and purchased a Mossberg 835 Ultra Mag in 12 guage.

I always had a Remington 870, but sold it thinking I should join the two barrel pheasant hunters. Jus t wasn't me. I wanted one gun that I could hunt a variety of birds with (including Mr. Wild Turkey), beat up a little and just be simple. Oh well...to each his own I guess. I really like the gun and I am anxious to get the dog and the gun out for a hunt!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #2

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 303

no sin here. The whole idea of the shotgun was "be the most versatile weapon for the man who only wanted/needed one gun"

A good pump can do anything shy of hitting 100+ yard accurate shots.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 303 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 58

You're only sin is not keeping the o/u and then buying the mossberg. How do you expect a collection to grow if you are selling off guns? Nice choice on the Mossberg btw.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:29 AM   #4

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default Louis' Rule

"Buy low, sell not."

The Louis Corollary: if the net value of any particular gun in the sum of its financial and emotional investment is lower than the square root of a friend's interest in owning it, they may have it at a bargain.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:32 AM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

More sin here.... "add to the collection" has never been my deal either. I like to shoot ALL my guns too much and if I have too many guns they will sit....with the exception of .22's. I just have a soft spot for .22's and the more the merrier I say!

I probably won't get another double barrel with the exception of maybe a coach gun or an older side by side. Just like the nostalgia of them. Ok...maybe I will have a collection someday. So many guns...so little money.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:32 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 303 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by northhike View Post
More sin here.... "add to the collection" has never been my deal either. I like to shoot ALL my guns too much and if I have too many guns they will sit....with the exception of .22's. I just have a soft spot for .22's and the more the merrier I say!

I probably won't get another double barrel with the exception of maybe a coach gun or an older side by side. Just like the nostalgia of them. Ok...maybe I will have a collection someday. So many guns...so little money.

Everyone of my guns gets shot atleast monthly. There are a favorite 5 or so for hunting. The rest get rotated to the range. Quickly approaching 30 guns. Sometimes my son and I will take as many as 10 guns for an outing. You can never have too many guns or bullets.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:46 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19988 Times on 11362 Posts
Likes Given: 50414

i have a small collection of pistols, rifles and shotguns, and i do shoot all of them. some do get shot more than others. i do enjoy shooting more than hunting, so most of mine are being configured for more as target type rifles. i too have an O/U 12ga shotgun i bought last year in hopes that maybe this spring i might get back into shooting sporting clays.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:00 AM   #8
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1490 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 7363

Quote:
Originally Posted by northhike View Post
Ok...I probably comitted the worst sin in the shotgun world. I had a Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U in 20 guage. It was a beautiful gun and shot great despite the bad reviews it sometimes gets online (can't believe everything you read). While it was a nice gun I am more a hunter than a gun aficionado and I never got used to two barrels. I guess I am just a one barrel guy. So.... I got rid of "the pretty gun" as my wife affectionatley called it and purchased a Mossberg 835 Ultra Mag in 12 guage.

I always had a Remington 870, but sold it thinking I should join the two barrel pheasant hunters. Jus t wasn't me. I wanted one gun that I could hunt a variety of birds with (including Mr. Wild Turkey), beat up a little and just be simple. Oh well...to each his own I guess. I really like the gun and I am anxious to get the dog and the gun out for a hunt!
I see no sin there. You traded in or sold a gun you would only use for one thing, and picked up a gun you can use for pretty much everything. Over half of my collection was aquired in that manner. Every gun I have, with very few exceptions, is a potential barganing chip for future trades or sales.

On the other hand, if it is a sin, I know I won't be alone down there!

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 02-25-2012, 06:20 AM   #9

Liked 139 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 11

They make 870's in 3.5" same as 835's. They don't rattle nearly as much either

Old 02-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19988 Times on 11362 Posts
Likes Given: 50414

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
I see no sin there. You traded in or sold a gun you would only use for one thing, and picked up a gun you can use for pretty much everything. Over half of my collection was aquired in that manner. Every gun I have, with very few exceptions, is a potential barganing chip for future trades or sales.

On the other hand, if it is a sin, I know I won't be alone down there!
most of my collection now consists of firearms that probably won't be ever traded or sold. i have had very few in the last ten years that have been traded or sold for another. with the internet, i do a lot more research before spending money on a firearm now. some like the last one added to the collection ( an older Ruger M77V in 280 Rem. w/ the heavy barrel ) is something i have been looking for a long time. there are some i add because i just want them and really aren't of practical use, like my AR15, it's really not a practical gun, but i enjoy shooting it and owning it and i wanted another one because i had one years ago.