Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   I comitted Shotgun Sin (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/i-comitted-shotgun-sin-58696/)

northhike 02-24-2012 08:42 PM

I comitted Shotgun Sin

Ok...I probably comitted the worst sin in the shotgun world. ;) I had a Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U in 20 guage. It was a beautiful gun and shot great despite the bad reviews it sometimes gets online (can't believe everything you read). While it was a nice gun I am more a hunter than a gun aficionado and I never got used to two barrels. I guess I am just a one barrel guy. :D So.... I got rid of "the pretty gun" as my wife affectionatley called it and purchased a Mossberg 835 Ultra Mag in 12 guage.

I always had a Remington 870, but sold it thinking I should join the two barrel pheasant hunters. Jus t wasn't me. I wanted one gun that I could hunt a variety of birds with (including Mr. Wild Turkey), beat up a little and just be simple. Oh well...to each his own I guess. :D I really like the gun and I am anxious to get the dog and the gun out for a hunt!

TimL2952 02-24-2012 09:36 PM

no sin here. The whole idea of the shotgun was "be the most versatile weapon for the man who only wanted/needed one gun"

A good pump can do anything shy of hitting 100+ yard accurate shots.

aandabooks 02-24-2012 10:01 PM

You're only sin is not keeping the o/u and then buying the mossberg. How do you expect a collection to grow if you are selling off guns? Nice choice on the Mossberg btw.

HockaLouis 02-25-2012 12:29 AM

Louis' Rule

"Buy low, sell not."

The Louis Corollary: if the net value of any particular gun in the sum of its financial and emotional investment is lower than the square root of a friend's interest in owning it, they may have it at a bargain.

northhike 02-25-2012 01:32 AM

More sin here.... "add to the collection" has never been my deal either. I like to shoot ALL my guns too much and if I have too many guns they will sit....with the exception of .22's. I just have a soft spot for .22's and the more the merrier I say! :D

I probably won't get another double barrel with the exception of maybe a coach gun or an older side by side. Just like the nostalgia of them. Ok...maybe I will have a collection someday. So many guns...so little money. ;)

aandabooks 02-25-2012 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northhike (Post 719480)
More sin here.... "add to the collection" has never been my deal either. I like to shoot ALL my guns too much and if I have too many guns they will sit....with the exception of .22's. I just have a soft spot for .22's and the more the merrier I say! :D

I probably won't get another double barrel with the exception of maybe a coach gun or an older side by side. Just like the nostalgia of them. Ok...maybe I will have a collection someday. So many guns...so little money. ;)

Everyone of my guns gets shot atleast monthly. There are a favorite 5 or so for hunting. The rest get rotated to the range. Quickly approaching 30 guns. Sometimes my son and I will take as many as 10 guns for an outing. You can never have too many guns or bullets.

Axxe55 02-25-2012 03:46 AM

i have a small collection of pistols, rifles and shotguns, and i do shoot all of them. some do get shot more than others. i do enjoy shooting more than hunting, so most of mine are being configured for more as target type rifles. i too have an O/U 12ga shotgun i bought last year in hopes that maybe this spring i might get back into shooting sporting clays.

kfox75 02-25-2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northhike (Post 719224)
Ok...I probably comitted the worst sin in the shotgun world. ;) I had a Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U in 20 guage. It was a beautiful gun and shot great despite the bad reviews it sometimes gets online (can't believe everything you read). While it was a nice gun I am more a hunter than a gun aficionado and I never got used to two barrels. I guess I am just a one barrel guy. :D So.... I got rid of "the pretty gun" as my wife affectionatley called it and purchased a Mossberg 835 Ultra Mag in 12 guage.

I always had a Remington 870, but sold it thinking I should join the two barrel pheasant hunters. Jus t wasn't me. I wanted one gun that I could hunt a variety of birds with (including Mr. Wild Turkey), beat up a little and just be simple. Oh well...to each his own I guess. :D I really like the gun and I am anxious to get the dog and the gun out for a hunt!

I see no sin there. You traded in or sold a gun you would only use for one thing, and picked up a gun you can use for pretty much everything. Over half of my collection was aquired in that manner. Every gun I have, with very few exceptions, is a potential barganing chip for future trades or sales.

On the other hand, if it is a sin, I know I won't be alone down there!:p

Hookeye 02-25-2012 06:20 AM

They make 870's in 3.5" same as 835's. They don't rattle nearly as much either ;)

Axxe55 02-25-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfox75 (Post 719707)
I see no sin there. You traded in or sold a gun you would only use for one thing, and picked up a gun you can use for pretty much everything. Over half of my collection was aquired in that manner. Every gun I have, with very few exceptions, is a potential barganing chip for future trades or sales.

On the other hand, if it is a sin, I know I won't be alone down there!:p

most of my collection now consists of firearms that probably won't be ever traded or sold. i have had very few in the last ten years that have been traded or sold for another. with the internet, i do a lot more research before spending money on a firearm now. some like the last one added to the collection ( an older Ruger M77V in 280 Rem. w/ the heavy barrel ) is something i have been looking for a long time. there are some i add because i just want them and really aren't of practical use, like my AR15, it's really not a practical gun, but i enjoy shooting it and owning it and i wanted another one because i had one years ago.