Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > How to turn Security Shotgun into Upland Bird Hunter's Shotgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How to turn Security Shotgun into Upland Bird Hunter's Shotgun?

I have two shotguns, and both are of the security/multi-purpose variety. I have a Remington 870 and Mossberg 500.

I'm racking my brain and research efforts on the internet trying to figure out how to change one of my shotguns (preferably the Mossberg) into a shotgun that can be used for Upland Bird Hunting. I understand doing this is probably similar to making the shotgun into a skeet shooting shotgun.

There are two options I'm aware of:

-Buying a longer barrel (current shotguns are about 18 inches barrel length)
-Buy a Choke Tube to install (the one I prefer the most out of these options)

^As you can see, out of these two options I'd like to go the Choke Tube route. I'm trying to avoid having to buy a new shotgun. I'd rather use what I already have. Problem is that I'm not sure if any of my shotguns (preferably the Mossberg) are compatible with installing chokes. I will indeed consider going to the local gun shop to ask these questions, but I'd rather ask ya'll first, because I don't feel like someone trying to sell me the most expensive thing out there.

Here are my main questions I really would like answered by you, my friends:

-Can I install a choke tube on the Mossberg 500's (and/or Remington 870's) "security 18 inch" barrel that it came with?
-Is installing a choke tube a reliable enough method for making a shotgun a hunting shotgun for upland bird hunting?
-Is changing the barrel out for a longer barrel the only way I can turn my shotgun into a non-migratory bird hunting shotgun?

Thanks, guys.

Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-22-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
Si Vis Pacem,Para Bellum
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 240 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 645

your best bet is to buy a longer barrel. look for a 24 inch barrel there good enough for hunting and there still short enough to move around comfortably in your house if you have to, but you said you have two security shotguns so it shouldnt be a problem to just put the longer one away when your not hunting.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:08 PM   #3

sausn2002,

Remember, the longer the barrel- better the accuracy.
Look for a barrel that has threads at the end so that chokes can be installed. The best universal choke is a Modified Choke. If you're going to hunt turkey you might want to switch to a "Turkey Choke".
You can put a choke into a 18" barrel as long as it has the required threads at the end of the barrel. Remember that with a short barrel you won't get the range you want for certain hunting applications.

I changed a hunting shotgun into a home defense shotgun and posted pics & info in the "Your Projects" forum- check it out, the title is called "Remington 870 standard going 870 Police". I know it's the opposite of what you're doing, but you may find some of the info helpful.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:48 AM   #4

if you try to put a choke in your 18 in barrel it will cost whatever the gunsmith charges or if you do it yourself the tap for a choke tube is quite expensive to use just once.plus even with a turkey choke you will loose range also barrel rise would be pretty bad with a 18 in barrel.i think you would be better off buying a regular barrel (26,28in something in that range) you may be able to get a used one at a gunsmith.the moss would probably be cheaper than the rem.

if you dont shoot you dont hit,if you do shoot you might hit ..................... Once a soldier always a soldier A trp 1/7 cav

Old 09-23-2009, 02:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wst tx hunter View Post
if you try to put a choke in your 18 in barrel it will cost whatever the gunsmith charges or if you do it yourself the tap for a choke tube is quite expensive to use just once.plus even with a turkey choke you will loose range also barrel rise would be pretty bad with a 18 in barrel.i think you would be better off buying a regular barrel (26,28in something in that range) you may be able to get a used one at a gunsmith.the moss would probably be cheaper than the rem.
Some short barrels, such as Remington's Tactical Barrel (18.5), come already threaded from factory for different choke applications. Gunsmith isn't needed as long as the barrel is pre-threaded from factory. Shorter barrel w/ choke; for close range hunting. Again, "remember that with a short barrel you won't get the range you want for certain hunting applications."

Old 09-23-2009, 03:13 AM   #6
Si Vis Pacem,Para Bellum
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 240 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 645

your not to worry about acuracy so much with a shotgun as you are with the pattern staying tight at greater distances, if you buy a barrel for your mossberg you can probably get it already threaded for screw in chokes.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:28 AM   #7

rifleman1,

One thing you're forgetting-
Long barrels and chokes help stabilize the shot for patterning consistency
which equals accuracy. So acuracy is important in long distances compared to Home defense up close and personal.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:10 AM   #8

Liked 101 Times on 77 Posts

Just buy a longer barrel equipped with choke tubes. 26" is about the minimum usually employed for wingshooting and clay targets. You mentioned Skeet, and a lot of ranges will not even let you shoot with an 18" barrel.

What could have happened... did.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #9

Yes, I believe that one thing we can all agree on is "get a longer barrel"
if you want to hunt with a security shotgun.