how to secure a shotgun - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > how to secure a shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpie View Post
we sneaked around and did it anyway. knew where daddy hid the whisky too. whipping just made us smarter, we knew not to get caught the next time. of course kids today are less likely to get into any trouble than we were back in the sixties.

Kids are not angels today any more than they were back in our day. They still get into trouble. We just don't punish them the way we used to.
We tust our son. But if he has friends over at our house we could be in another part of the house and they could find a gun if its not locked up... How do we explain that to their parents, considering the teenage suicide rate these days? At least, that's the way we feel about it - not that I'm saying there's anything wrong with other folks keeping guns unlocked in their homes.

I do like that idea about the fingerprint locks on the internet for $25.00! Cool!

Old 10-29-2011, 12:38 AM   #12

Maybe you should just stick to using your pistol for home defense... it seems "easy" your words not mine. Keep the shotty llocked up, jut because a shotgun is a great home defense option its not the only one. I would be more concerned with over penetration with kids in the house regardless.

If you outlaw guns then only outlaws have guns.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:44 AM   #13

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I use my handgun to get to my shotgun which I use to get to my rifle.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #14

Likes Given: 4

Cane, my friend...you took the words right out of my mouth. I'd be grabbing the first thing that was handy. That I have multiple options just means more holes in the bad guy (did I just say that out loud?)...and while I love my .45's, nothing says get down and stay down like a loaded mag full of slugs/buckshot.

Anyway, I didnt intend this thread to end up debating parenting "best practices" or what's strategies should be employed for home protection.

All that aside, there are some GREAT ideas in here. I'll let you know what I end up with a final solution. Thanks to all!

Old 10-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #15

Welp, the prize goes to ...a 14 gun steel cabinet by StackOn. It's not ever close to being a gun safe, but it holds my two AR15s, my scatter gun and a .45 (or two) and a 9mm for the little zombies. Three point toggle locks, decent keyed lock... One twist and I can have a choice of rifle, shot or hand gun. Rack a round in to the chamber, and I'm ready to rock-n-roll. All this is 10ft from my bed, so if I hear the door alarm, I can be ready for a close encounter of the worst kind.

Some EXCELLENT ideas here...PVC pipe? Custom wood case with a bio lock?

PS if anyone wants a couple almost brand new hard cases, let me know! I'll make you a deal

Built AR-15, 5.56 & .300 AAC Blackout tops
Yugoslavian AK-47
Remington 1100 Tactical Shotgun
Remington 1100 Shotgun
Crosman 760 pump gun <smirk>
M1 Garand .30-06
M1903 Springfield Sporter .30-06
Sig Sauer P250 Sub Compact 9mm
Sig Sauer TacOps 1911

Old 10-31-2011, 05:31 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Very nice!

Of course, you could mount it on a slide out tray under the bed for easy access.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Very nice!

Of course, you could mount it on a slide out tray under the bed for easy access.
I'm going to have to jack up my bed a few feet.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #18

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCooper View Post
My kids are well educated about guns, the danger, the "no touching without dad" stuff... However I'm don't take chances with guns because there is only one chance. My youngest is 8 and my older son is 16 and autistic. Sometimes the autism thing leads to some odd ideas, and 8 year olds lack judgement.

Anyway, I appreciate your feed back, but my OP was about how to secure my home defense weapon
+1 Education and exposure certainly help to remove the "forbidden fruit" appeal of Dad's guns and having kids that can confidently and correctly handle a gun goes a long way in preventing accidents but at the end of the day they are still kids, filled with insatiable energy and curiosity. Being overly cautious in this case, in my opinion anyways, is the right thing to do.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #19

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Very nice!

How does that saying go...hidden in plain site?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCooper View Post
Greetings! I've got a 12ga Remington 1100 tactical shotty. My intent is to use it for home defense. Here's the thing: what good is it if I can't get my hands on it, get it loaded and bring it to bear in 30 seconds?

So I'm looking for a way where it can be loaded and stashed under my bed in some kind of secure, yet quickly accessed manner. I want to grab it and rack the action to chamber a round and be ready. I've got two boys in the house so safety is a major concern. Currently it's in a locked case with a trigger lock. Id have to find the keys, unlock the case, unlock the trigger and load up some buckshot.

My pistols are easy. They go in a biometric safe. Is there an easy and at least somewhat affordable way to secure Big Bertha where she's ready to go the the zombies show up at my bedroom door?

This may be right up your alley. The bedroom rack:

The-BackUp | The Bedside Gun Rack