how to secure a shotgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > how to secure a shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 05:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 4

Default how to secure a shotgun

Greetings! I've got a 12ga Remington 1100 tactical shotty. My intent is to use it for home defense. Here's the thing: what good is it if I can't get my hands on it, get it loaded and bring it to bear in 30 seconds?

So I'm looking for a way where it can be loaded and stashed under my bed in some kind of secure, yet quickly accessed manner. I want to grab it and rack the action to chamber a round and be ready. I've got two boys in the house so safety is a major concern. Currently it's in a locked case with a trigger lock. Id have to find the keys, unlock the case, unlock the trigger and load up some buckshot.

My pistols are easy. They go in a biometric safe. Is there an easy and at least somewhat affordable way to secure Big Bertha where she's ready to go the the zombies show up at my bedroom door?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-28-2011, 05:52 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

Handy with woodworking tools? Build a plywood gun case. Thin, flat, big enuff the hold gun laying flat. Mount to wall inside closet, on back of BR door, or slide under bed. Go over to Amazon, search for biometric lock. There are 2 Sears Craftsman locks there- fingerprint readers- used, $25.00 each. Use those to secure the gun case. Would not stop a burglar, but should keep the 4 yr old from playing Elmer Fudd with Daddy's scattergun.

Or make a case that attaches to underside of bed, use lock for door in end of case. Kneel, touch lock, open door, slide shotgun out. That presumes room enough between bed and wall to remove gun.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:42 AM   #3

What an excellent suggestion! Design phase starts first thing!
thanks!

Old 10-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1337 Times on 908 Posts
Likes Given: 1429

Education, Education, Education, Education, Education, How many times do I have to say it, I grew up around loaded guns in the house & so did my four boys & nobody got killed, growing up we knew that if we touched a gun with-out permission we were going to get our a***** you know what whooped & the message was the same with my boys, they are grown now and NO accidents.

When all else fails.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #5

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
Education, Education, Education, Education, Education, How many times do I have to say it, I grew up around loaded guns in the house & so did my four boys & nobody got killed, growing up we knew that if we touched a gun with-out permission we were going to get our a***** you know what whooped & the message was the same with my boys, they are grown now and NO accidents.
That's the way it was when I grew up. Dad kept his guns behind the bedroom door. If we even SAW them we felt like we did something wrong. Never touched them, tried not to look that way.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 10-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #6

My kids are well educated about guns, the danger, the "no touching without dad" stuff... However I'm don't take chances with guns because there is only one chance. My youngest is 8 and my older son is 16 and autistic. Sometimes the autism thing leads to some odd ideas, and 8 year olds lack judgement.

Anyway, I appreciate your feed back, but my OP was about how to secure my home defense weapon

Old 10-28-2011, 06:12 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Know any plumbers? You could secure some 8" PVC under there and cap one end while threading the other for a screw-off cap. That would NOT look like a firearm holder.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 144 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Or put a slide on cap on the active end and put a bike lock through it to keep it tamperproof.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
we sneaked around and did it anyway. knew where daddy hid the whisky too. whipping just made us smarter, we knew not to get caught the next time. of course kids today are less likely to get into any trouble than we were back in the sixties.

the north had us outnumbered and outgunned but we had them outmanned .......................................... join the NRA

Old 10-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #10

Mount it to a wall, quick open lock, loaded and ready to go.

Costco - ShotLock Universal Solo Vault Safe