Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > How powerful is the average bird shot shell?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
I used to work with a guy that was shot in the stomach with a single barrel 12 gauge loaded with #6 shot from across a small bedroom. He lost half his stomach and part of his intestines but he took the gun away from the guy that shot him and beat him to death with it before he called an ambulance.
Prolly would been a different ending if the now deceased fella, would have aimed just a little bit higher.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #12

Liked 137 Times on 100 Posts

On the show 1000 ways to die, a drunk guy was tired of his budding bumming his cigs, so he cut the top of a shell off and dumped the shot out, then pack it back with some cigs, shot them at his buddy and they penetrated his throat and face and it killed the guy, so yes they are lethal, and Im with the other guys if the rack of the slide aka "national get the f*ck out of my house" sound doesn't do it, then the first shot definitely will definitely get their attention, and it they have help with them they are all gonna say fu*ck this were outta here, and if not thats when there asses are getting the pdx1 out of the .45 LOL

Gersty

Bushmaster AR15 .223/556
Marlin Model 60 .22lr
Marlin 91V .17HMR
Hi Point .45
Mossberg ATR 30.06 (wifes)
Mossberg 702 .22lr (wifes)
NEF Pardner Pump 12ga (wifes)
Remington 870 12ga
H&R Topper JR 20ga
Mossberg 500 Slugmaster 12ga
Winchester Model 190 .22lr
Thompson Center Grey Hawk .54
Norinco SKS 7.62x39
1860 Remington New Army .44
Titan 22 short
Rohm RG Model 23 .22lr
St. Louis Hawken .50 cal
Kentucky Long Rifle .50 cal
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter 20ga

Old 08-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #13

Cgersty you better be careful about what you believe is true on tv, im not saying that a shotgun shell rigged like that wouldnt kill somebody but im not 100% sure that everything on that tv show is true.

"it flies it dies", "its brown its down"

Old 08-13-2011, 10:28 PM   #14

Liked 137 Times on 100 Posts

I dont really believe it but they claim that it is real, this is one of those mythbuster things.

Man Shot Dead With Cigarette Butts - ABC News

I dont know about shotguns but this was a ciggarette butt fired from a rifle.

Gersty

Bushmaster AR15 .223/556
Marlin Model 60 .22lr
Marlin 91V .17HMR
Hi Point .45
Mossberg ATR 30.06 (wifes)
Mossberg 702 .22lr (wifes)
NEF Pardner Pump 12ga (wifes)
Remington 870 12ga
H&R Topper JR 20ga
Mossberg 500 Slugmaster 12ga
Winchester Model 190 .22lr
Thompson Center Grey Hawk .54
Norinco SKS 7.62x39
1860 Remington New Army .44
Titan 22 short
Rohm RG Model 23 .22lr
St. Louis Hawken .50 cal
Kentucky Long Rifle .50 cal
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter 20ga

Old 08-13-2011, 10:47 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

The first round in my "alarm clock" Mossy is bird shot. It's maybe 20 feet to my bedroom door. I've shot a crapload of cheapo/bulk birdshot at a WIDE variety of targets for fun & mischief, and i feel pretty safe behind it. The rest of the mag tube is full of buck with the last one being a slug, in case of a harder target.

Of course, my open-when-home safe isn't 15 feet from my bed, so i have options if the shotty doesn't seem adequate (loaded SKS +4 mags, loaded XD45 + 6 mags, loaded CZ75b + 8 mags, loaded GP100 + 2 speedloaders, loaded CZ52 +2 mags (for blinding us all) etc.). I also have a small handgun lockbox that i may attach to the bottom of my bedside table to be able to access one pistol + a few mags on the downlow. Lest they feel slighted and sell me out, I also have two guard cats on hand for hissing and distraction.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #16

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
The first round in my "alarm clock" Mossy is bird shot. It's maybe 20 feet to my bedroom door. I've shot a crapload of cheapo/bulk birdshot at a WIDE variety of targets for fun & mischief, and i feel pretty safe behind it. The rest of the mag tube is full of buck with the last one being a slug, in case of a harder target.

Of course, my open-when-home safe isn't 15 feet from my bed, so i have options if the shotty doesn't seem adequate (loaded SKS +4 mags, loaded XD45 + 6 mags, loaded CZ75b + 8 mags, loaded GP100 + 2 speedloaders, loaded CZ52 +2 mags (for blinding us all) etc.). I also have a small handgun lockbox that i may attach to the bottom of my bedside table to be able to access one pistol + a few mags on the downlow. Lest they feel slighted and sell me out, I also have two guard cats on hand for hissing and distraction.
Damn Gello...when did you move to Mogadishu?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-13-2011, 11:44 PM   #17

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Know a guy who lost his left eye at about 60 yards quail hunting with #8 shot. Was wearing prescription glasses instead of shooting glasses.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:48 PM   #18

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Prolly would been a different ending if the now deceased fella, would have aimed just a little bit higher.
That's true but he didn't. Just sayin.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 08-14-2011, 03:55 AM   #19

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
I used to work with a guy that was shot in the stomach with a single barrel 12 gauge loaded with #6 shot from across a small bedroom. He lost half his stomach and part of his intestines but he took the gun away from the guy that shot him and beat him to death with it before he called an ambulance.
doesn't matter if its birdshot or hollowpoint it's where you're hit that counts(would/could/might have arguments aside). i am curious about whose bedroom it was .

the north had us outnumbered and outgunned but we had them outmanned .......................................... join the NRA

Old 08-14-2011, 04:30 AM   #20

Default I Know the Answer

Alright, I'm done shooting for today, I fired about 23 rounds of 2-3/4'', 12-ga, 7-1/2'' bird shot rounds through my Mossy today. And yes, they have smaller shots than most bird shots, so I thought it would be a pretty decent example...

Anyway, I shot a bunch of 2 liter water bottles. They ripped right through them from about 35 feet away, and at about 15 feet away, it completely blew their tops off.

Yes, a buckshot will pretty much completely blow up water bottles, but the bird shot (even with 7-1/2'' bird shots) are not to be underestimated. For home defense, which is usually in between 10-20ft, I'd say they'd kill your intruder without too much of a problem. Especially because these were 7-1/2'' loads, not 2'' or 1''.

I conclude that bird shots are adequate home defense shots. Think about it. A 12-ga buck shot will completely obliterate your enemy for one thing, but it WILL go through them and it WILL destroy and go through your walls, so pretty much the entire general location you fire a buckshot in, it's going to get completely demolished.

For home defense, bird shots may almost be a requirement when your living in a generally tight suburban area, like where I live. Whoever says that bird shots will not be enough to take down your enemy, and that they could easily have enough energy to go to you and kill you... well... I think that's just BS. I actually tested it out with SMALL bird shots, I didn't just get some weird information that anyone could've made up on the internet... I saw it for myself today.

Thanks for the replies.

Gun owners unite!