How many people use a Shotgun for Home Defense?? - Page 9
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

How many people use a Shotgun for Home Defense??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 02:11 AM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genec
Well, I have a Winchester 12 ga pump loaded with turkey shot, followed by OO buck, with slugs in the sidesaddle. No warning, no racking, one in the chamber,,,, they might hear me take the safety off and they might not. They will have an advantage by waking me, but I will reset their OODA loop real quick. Anyone found here at night , will be found here in the morning.
Amen! To that sir

Old 02-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #82

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfPak View Post
I should elaborate the 590 is loaded with 9 rounds of Hornady TAP 00 buck w/ Versatite and 4 rounds of Brenneke slugs in the Speed Feed stock. Prior to firing they'll be warned so I feel no need for rock salt. If you pull the weapon you should have come to terms with potentially taking a life, otherwise just bringing out the gun raised the threat level and they will pull a gun if they have one.

The protocol of warning and demanding they leave should allow that coming to Jesus moment if they proceed then they mean you and your family no go. Remember you can always replace stuff, so your life or your family's is priority one.
I totally agree. If I had my way I'd only use slugs. Dispite my best efforts I cannot convince my family that anyone entering our home without permission should be met with lethal force.

I have come to terms with ending someone to protect the lives of my family. For me there is no decision to be made here. Unfortunately, my family thinks we need to give them a chance to leave.

I MAY loose count of how many shots I take if that situation occurs. "Did I shoot 1 time or five?" It all happened so fast.

Curt

Old 02-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #83
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1819 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt

I totally agree. If I had my way I'd only use slugs. Dispite my best efforts I cannot convince my family that anyone entering our home without permission should be met with lethal force.

I have come to terms with ending someone to protect the lives of my family. For me there is no decision to be made here. Unfortunately, my family thinks we need to give them a chance to leave.

I MAY loose count of how many shots I take if that situation occurs. "Did I shoot 1 time or five?" It all happened so fast.

Curt
Anyone entering this home will be met with lethal force. The way I see it is that if someone breaks in while I'm home they have no regard for my life and are probably there to take it. The few seconds it takes to ask them to leave could be the few seconds they need to kill me.......
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #84
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22315 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiegirl View Post
Anyone entering this home will be met with lethal force. The way I see it is that if someone breaks in while I'm home they have no regard for my life and are probably there to take it. The few seconds it takes to ask them to leave could be the few seconds they need to kill me.......
if a person breaks into your home, especially at night when they know the homeowners are there, then IMO they have forfeited their right to a warning or fair gameplay.

in my home, we play by house rules. my house, my rules. i get to choose the firearm of my choice and i also get to change the rules as i see fit.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #85

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I should clarify I am not warning them immediately before pulling the trigger. The warning is given in general once I have obtained my weapon, after that there are no warnings because if they stay they are most likely armed so I'll need first mover advantage.

In this scenario I will position myself between the intruder and my family setting up the "funnel of death" and the police will be called. I will not go downstairs to clear rooms. Room clearing is best left to the police. Although I am familiar with those tactics and practice them in my home, I do not intend to use them.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #86

i will also add this to the discusion, using "less lethal' loads is a very poor choice. at no time do i feel that the BG breaking into my home should ever be allowed an fighting chance, a second chance or any type of fairness. he has entered my home, endangered my life and those of my loved ones. no his fate was sealed when he came through that door in the middle of the night. i see the only good outcome is the BG leaving horizontally and myself and my loved ones remaining vertical. that is the only acceptable outcome and whatever i cna do to see that happens, is the only fairness i need.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #87

Liked 461 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
i will also add this to the discusion, using "less lethal' loads is a very poor choice. at no time do i feel that the BG breaking into my home should ever be allowed an fighting chance, a second chance or any type of fairness. he has entered my home, endangered my life and those of my loved ones. no his fate was sealed when he came through that door in the middle of the night. i see the only good outcome is the BG leaving horizontally and myself and my loved ones remaining vertical. that is the only acceptable outcome and whatever i cna do to see that happens, is the only fairness i need.
Plus, using "less lethal" can hurt you in court since the BG is still alive and will now sue you. Remember, dead men tell no tales
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #88

Liked 2057 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiegirl View Post
considering it is dark at night, I don't expect there will be time to asses whether or not the shadow across the room has a gun, or not. Finding out the hard way may get me (and more importantly, my family) killed. I don't feel sorry for a person that I shoot and kill if he has violated my privacy and safety in that manner.

20 rounds is better than 20 questions!
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-05-2013, 02:20 AM   #89

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001

Plus, using "less lethal" can hurt you in court since the BG is still alive and will now sue you. Remember, dead men tell no tales
Lol after my German Shepard attacked an intruder and tore his Achilles tenton out, he was happy with not being eating and if it wasn't for my mother I would have stabbed him to death.
Stillersfan Likes This 
Old 02-05-2013, 02:25 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by keginth View Post
Lol after my German Shepard attacked an intruder and tore his Achilles tenton out, he was happy with not being eating and if it wasn't for my mother I would have stabbed him to death.
you do realize if it wasn't for your mother, you would probably have been arrested for murder? at that point, if his Achilles tendon was torn out, he was down, and it then became a time to just hold him till LEO's showed up. so stabbing him could have gotten you arrested.