How many people use a Shotgun for Home Defense?? - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > How many people use a Shotgun for Home Defense??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post

good gawd, it's a 13 year old kid. give him a break already. this makes YOU look bad, not him
Hock isn't a 13 year old kid. I was given some friendly advice for all of our sakes so we don't have to read hocks predictable replies and a major flame war eruption. I'm sorry if it seemed like I was sniping at bulldozer, I wasn't. Just tellin him the facts on this subject involving hock in the past.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear304inc View Post

Marlin wasn't talking to the kid.
I was but ^^^^ says the whole story

Old 01-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #63

Liked 2055 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Hock isn't a 13 year old kid. I was given some friendly advice for all of our sakes so we don't have to read hocks predictable replies and a major flame war eruption. I'm sorry if it seemed like I was sniping at bulldozer, I wasn't. Just tellin him the facts on this subject involving hock in the past.
my bad, should mind my own business. wait. it's the internet. i guess I can make anything my business lol

Old 01-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post

my bad, should mind my own business. wait. it's the internet. i guess I can make anything my business lol
It happens mon ami

Old 01-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #65

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter

Who said to mind your business? Marlin was just trying to save dozer some headache. As explained. No one thought your post was outta line, just directed at the wrong person.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #66
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22240 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

MrWray and i both about six months ago did some informal testing using 3/8" and 1/2" plywood and sheetrock as test materials to shoot at. my test distances were from 15 to 30 feet. 30 being used as the longest possible distance within my home. our results were very similar in performance. we both posted pictures of those results. i used #4 and #7-1/2 birdshot for those tests. i can't remember exactly which birdshot MrWray used now, but he also went as far out as 30 feet as well. honestly, i wouldn't want to be on the recieving end of birdshot. Hock still argued that our tests were flawed and that neither of us knew what we were talking about!

funny thing is none of these birdshot detractors will put their money where their mouth is and stand in front of someone shooting birdshot! Hmmmm..... is buckshot better than birdshot for SD? of course it is. but, what if birdshot is the only ammo you have available? "gee, Mr. BadGuy, wait i need to go and buy some buckshot, cause all i have is birdshot!" also due to lesser recoil with the birdshot, you can have a faster follow-up shot as well. i tested using the largest birdshot i could find, which is #4 and after my informal testing last year and a few years prior, i have complete faith in that it will stop a BG! my wife may have to rely on this shotgun and i want something she could use without the recoil knocking her on her butt when she shot it! my Winchester SXP Defender with a 18.5" barrel and 5 shot tube holds 5 rounds of #4 birdshot, and there are 5 rounds of OO buckshot in the buttstock carrier if there is a need for them.

so all you birdshot detractors and haters, let me say it this way, i don't feel the need to justify my reasons to you as to why i do it the way i do, nor do feel the need to gain your permission in my choices of ammo. if they feel that buckshot is the only choice, then so be it, but i know without any doubts waht will work if i need it.
People Like This 
Old 01-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #67

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

funny thing is none of these birdshot detractors will put their money where their mouth is and stand in front of someone shooting birdshot!
I have been shot twice with birdshot while rabbit hunting. Neither time did the birdshot penetrate my brier pants. It stung like crazy but it would not have stopped me from attacking someone. We tend to use #6 and larger shot for rabbits. One or two pellets kills the rabbit without destroying the meat. Both occasions it was as much my fault as the shooters. I should have kept whistling until someone whistled back. Birdshot loses it's energy far to fast for me to bet my life on it. At 10 yards or less birdshot is a killer. At 15 yards birdshot won't penetrate your clothes. That is to little of a margin for error for my tastes.

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-10-2013 at 10:21 PM.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #68
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22240 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I have been shot twice with birdshot while rabbit hunting. Neither time did the birdshot penetrate my brier pants. It stung like crazy but it would not have stopped me from attacking someone. We tend to use #6 and larger shot for rabbits. One or two pellets kills the rabbit without destroying the meat. Both occasions it was as much my fault as the shooters. I should have kept whistling until someone whistled back. Birdshot loses it's energy far to fast for me to bet my life on it. At 10 yards or less birdshot is a killer. At 15 yards birdshot won't penetrate your clothes. That is to little of a margin for error for my tastes.
my bedroom is about 12 feet by 14 feet. how much damage will #4 birdshot do at this distance? in my informal tests, at 30 feet, (which is the longest possible shot within my home) #4 birdshot will pentrate 1/2" plywood. at 15 feet it will even partially penetrate a quarter panel on a car. at 15 feet the major concentration of shot is about 5-6" in diameter.

i stated my position, and stand firm because i have done my own testing that would be similar to what my SD needs would be. as i said i have no doubt in my choices. you need to use what makes you feel confident, not me. nor do i feel compelled to to sway your opinions to my way of thinking. these are my opinions and my observations on what i have found in my informal tests. whether others agree or disagree is their choice.
wizard63 Likes This 
Old 01-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #69

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 11

crap on the turkey load and birdshot i got a mossberg 500 A pump from the 70s with a full choke long barrel loaded with Winchester DOUBLE OT BUCKSHOT thatl blow threw the wall of any house let alone take dont anyone i shot hat a door with birdshot it did not go threw i am concerned about maxium penetraition

Old 01-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #70
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 145 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I use a Sig 226 in 357 Sig and a Mossy 500. My wife backs me with a 1918 vintage 1911.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.