How many people use a Shotgun for Home Defense??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > How many people use a Shotgun for Home Defense??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 65 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Default How many people use a Shotgun for Home Defense??

I have a Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g) and was thinking about using it for home defense. My only problem is that my wife may have a problem using it if the need would arise. For some reason she just doesnt like rifles. Dunno why. She is great with a pistol with no problem. I may end up using both just for that reason. Your thoughts?

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P239, Sig P226 Navy (MK25)
Sig P238
Glock 19, Glock 20, Glock 26, Glock 36
Springfield XD 45ACP
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #2

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

I can't see the harm is using both, you on the shotty, her with the handgun...I'll definitely call before I come over!!!

My HD gun was a shotty for years and years. When I moved into the place I'm at now, I had to switch to a handgun but for the simple fact that this house has a long and narrow hallway, almost impossible to navigate with a long gun...

Do what it takes to make sure you're safe...

Old 12-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1930 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Me an Ben have all four corners coverd.......Lets dance.......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

People Like This 
Old 12-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
I can't see the harm is using both, you on the shotty, her with the handgun...I'll definitely call before I come over!!!

My HD gun was a shotty for years and years. When I moved into the place I'm at now, I had to switch to a handgun but for the simple fact that this house has a long and narrow hallway, almost impossible to navigate with a long gun...

Do what it takes to make sure you're safe...
Thanks brother! I totally agree. Seems that is the course we will take. Shotty for me and hand gun for the wife.

Sig P238
Springfield XD 45ACP
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member
vincent Likes This 
Old 12-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #5

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Women are smaller and weaker and generally needed a smaller, lighter, shotgun all-around. that would also imply a 20 ga. Nothin' wrong with that...

Old 12-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2101 Times on 1151 Posts
Likes Given: 629

I keep the pistols and a double 20 handy. Just remember that shotguns have to be aimed. Do not believe anything Hollywood shows. A cylinder bore 12 gauge will pattern 6" at 7 yards.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #7

Liked 144 Times on 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillersfan View Post

Thanks brother! I totally agree. Seems that is the course we will take. Shotty for me and hand gun for the wife.
This is the plan me an my wife have. I know she doesn't like anything but the pistol so I give her what she feels comfortable with and is practiced with.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 332 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I keep a loaded 12 gauge in the bedroom. 9mm in the living room and another 9mm in the kitchen. That covers the top two levels of the house. The gun room is in the basement. That is where the ammo and other guns are kept.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2597 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

My wife has a Browning 380 in her lamp stand as a general purpose weapon close at hand. We do also have a Remington 870 Mag. 12 ga. in the gun cabinet which although she does not like to shoot it she has been trained to do so. I instructed he using light bird shot to start and only let he shoot a few bucks and slugs. The moral of the story in a critical situation and firing the 12 ga. With slugs or buck you will never feel the gun hardly recoil or hear it. But a shotgun is a great defense weapon and the slide operating in the presence of a scum bag has a universal sound of understanding. Pulled one on a burglar in a business late one night and when I jacked the round in he immediately messed his pants and sat down on the floor and gave up!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 12-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
My wife has a Browning 380 in her lamp stand as a general purpose weapon close at hand. We do also have a Remington 870 Mag. 12 ga. in the gun cabinet which although she does not like to shoot it she has been trained to do so. I instructed he using light bird shot to start and only let he shoot a few bucks and slugs. The moral of the story in a critical situation and firing the 12 ga. With slugs or buck you will never feel the gun hardly recoil or hear it. But a shotgun is a great defense weapon and the slide operating in the presence of a scum bag has a universal sound of understanding. Pulled one on a burglar in a business late one night and when I jacked the round in he immediately messed his pants and sat down on the floor and gave up!

Yep... I would to if I heard that sound. The sound says .. "Get the F**K out or be carried out in a body bag"!!

Sig P238
Springfield XD 45ACP
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E