How to "Ghost Load" or "Carrier Load" or "Float a Round" a Shotgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > How to "Ghost Load" or "Carrier Load" or "Float a Round" a Shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default How to "Ghost Load" or "Carrier Load" or "Float a Round" a Shotgun

Some shotguns permit you to "float" a shell on top of the carrier, while one is in the chamber, and your magazine is full. In this way you can get the maximum capacity out of your shotgun. In this video the shotgun I'm demonstrating to "ghost load" is a M4 Benelli, with the full length magazine tube I put on it, I have a nine round capacity with carrier loading.

Carrier loading is included in the USMC's operation manual for the M1014 (the Marine version of the M4).

If you guys know of other shotguns you can do this with, let me know.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/edit?ns=1&video_id=vf7agIzbTvs

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #2

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

I know you can with the stoeger m3500

Old 05-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #3

Liked 154 Times on 116 Posts

Wonder what's going to happen when the game wardens hear of this "ability". Federal law says 3 max for any migratory species, and many states have similar laws for other game.

What could have happened... did.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #4

Liked 55 Times on 44 Posts

I have an M4 and have done this several times. It is interesting but not practical as it is not quick to do. Thus my initial loading at the range will include the extra round but I don't bother with it after that.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #5

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
Wonder what's going to happen when the game wardens hear of this "ability". Federal law says 3 max for any migratory species, and many states have similar laws for other game.
if the law states 3 rounds max, and the game warden inspects your weapon for compliance (plug in the mag tube, etc. to prevent you from loading more than 3 rounds total) and he finds you've "ghost loaded" a 4th round...I imagine that would be a violation of the law and you would be cited

Old 05-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383

if the law states 3 rounds max, and the game warden inspects your weapon for compliance (plug in the mag tube, etc. to prevent you from loading more than 3 rounds total) and he finds you've "ghost loaded" a 4th round...I imagine that would be a violation of the law and you would be cited
Yes you would be cited.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #7

Probably not a whole lot of people duck hunting with a M4 Benelli, but...you never know.

: )

Tactical Duck Hunting!!!

Old 05-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by msup752 View Post
I have an M4 and have done this several times. It is interesting but not practical as it is not quick to do. Thus my initial loading at the range will include the extra round but I don't bother with it after that.
"Practical" ... no, not for reloads, that's for sure. But the USMC includes it in the operator's manual since Marines will take their M1014s (the military version of the M4) with one floated to increase capacity. Better to have one extra and not need it, then need it and not have it...and all that.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #9

Liked 154 Times on 116 Posts

You don't have to have it loaded with 4, it just has to be capable of it. Stoegers are common duck guns. They better fix that.

What could have happened... did.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:56 AM   #10

Like I said, I'm not aware of many people that enjoy "Tactical Duck Hunting" with a M4 Benelli.