How to fire a pistol grip shotgun?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > How to fire a pistol grip shotgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How to fire a pistol grip shotgun?

I have a Mossberg 500 12-ga pump-action shotgun (Maverick 88) and it came with both the stock grip and the pistol grip. I've fired it with the stock, but now I just put on the pistol grip to see how it would feel when I shot it. I didn't get to shoot it yet, and I'm a bit nervous to tell you the truth. What's it going to feel like when I fire it? HOW should I fire it? Everyone is saying different stuff: "Keep it near your waste so your arms wing pendulum style", or, "make sure the handle is touching your waste", and sometimes even "hold it as if you had a stock on it, so put it in front of your face and hold tightly". I don't know... the manual said to fire it near your waste, like the pendulum style thing.

I'll be firing the lightest loads I can. I'll hold it as tight as a can, too. How should I shoot it, though? Not too much aiming will be involved, I think I know that, but I just want to know how to shoot it correctly.

I've seen videos of people shooting them, it doesn't seem all that hard, but I just want to know how to hold it. Thanks.

Gun owners unite!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2011, 08:44 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Mid-rib below arm pit, hold pistol grip steady with dominate hand, brace elbow up against side, rack, pivot at waist in desired direction, point and shoot.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-27-2011, 12:20 AM   #3
rab
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default my fav

On my previous entry tool, I kept it strong-hand tight to right side, just above waist. You'll need to put your body behind it for control. Using the sights is for Hollywood. I fitted it with multi-position rail, in front of the fore-grip. Just a flashlight. I'm contemplating a laser and separate bandoleer because too much ammo on the sling interferes with handling. . This is simply to grab quick, illuminate target, and BOOM! It's really a pistol with more control and power. It's not for hunting or skeets.
But as always, it acts as a great deterant. Your in a quiet house, at 0300, and you stand at the top of the stairs and rack it,then announce "I'm coming down. If you don't live here, your gonna die here!" Anyone down stairs knows that sound, and whats coming next. 99% will choose to run!

Old 09-27-2011, 01:16 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Mid-rib below arm pit, hold pistol grip steady with dominate hand, brace elbow up against side, rack, pivot at waist in desired direction, point and shoot.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:57 AM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here is how it's done. A little language.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:52 AM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 460

From the hip as described above. DO NOT hold it anywhere near your face or jaw...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-27-2011, 05:17 AM   #7
rab
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Couldn't wait!

I was just too excited to delay putting up the pic!!!!!
Mai I present Althea with her new look! It's gonna be constant rain for the next three or four days. Might have to man-up and do it in the rain........
althea_new_look.jpg

Old 09-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #8

Personally I am always more intimated to shoulder fire a shotgun for the first time opposed to hip firing with or without a pistol grip. The best way to grip it, is to hold the pistol grip firmly and make a L with your arm and tuck it up against your body. Some people are bothered by the force it has on there hands, mostly the webbing between your thumb and index. This never bothers me but everyone is different. I find the pain in the shoulder over time is a lot more severe and noticeable than my hand. I prefer shooting with a full stock of some sort opposed to pistol grip though.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:33 PM   #9
rab
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Finer Points..

Snuck out for a little while. I was using a mix of Win/Rem 00 & #1's. One thing to mention though. When using a pistol grip, make sure that the palm absorbs the the recoil. This will spread the force out to virtually nothing. The old fashioned "assult-rifle attack" position(weak arm stiff, strong-side midway between waist and armpit and slightly forward) seemed to work best. This also controls elevation. The lower the right hand, the higher your poi. Remember to keep strong your strong side hand in close, putting weight behind your hand. Well, didn't notice an undue amount of recoil using this stance. Trying to "muscle" a 12G will be a waste of time. The gun will win!
The ATI did it's part buy spreading any recoil evenly across my entire plam. Less sting than a 45. No undue reach to the trigger. I was pleased at how the whole set up worked. I had an unused Sightmark laser that I added just to see how it would work. This seemed to be one of my better mistakes. No guess-work. Once sighted in, a laser is the quickest method for a pistol-grip set-up. I'm keeping it on. I had to get rid of the flashlight for now. One caution is to use metal(alum or steel) because the shock from firing seems
to vibrate off a plastic/fiberglass one. Three times the CAA TDI-BK12 mount, which worked fine on an AR, fell off. No fault of the mount, you just need a no-flex mount on the front. However, cudos to the Hellfighter X-8, which as usual, survived the unplanned "drop-tests". Well, things went pretty good. Didn't even get rained on.